Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom won't remove line from carrier line?

Options
  • 23-02-2009 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Well they (Eircom) never cease to amaze me!

My line is on a carrier line and I logged a fault with Eircom last week that we were getting frequent crackling and crossed lines on it. I was pretty impressed that an engineer turned up first thing this morning to check it out, but he told me the line is testing ok???

He mentioned the Sky box could be the problem and all the usual excuses, but I asked him if it was more likely down to the fact that we are on a carrier line - which we are. He told me that had nothing to do with it. Went off and checked again, as I said we were having all kinds of problems with the line, including getting Eircom phonewatch and not discounting the obvious problem of not being able to get broadband (don't worry, I'm fully aware there's no obligation on their part to provide DSL). So I told him to take us off the carrier as we're having nothing but problems with it. He's just come back and told me that it's not possible to take us off the carrier and the line is testing fine. WHAT THE F**K!!!!! This is ridiculous, I mean this is totally ridiculous :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

robertno wrote: »
    Well they (Eircom) never cease to amaze me!

My line is on a carrier line and I logged a fault with Eircom last week that we were getting frequent crackling and crossed lines on it. I was pretty impressed that an engineer turned up first thing this morning to check it out, but he told me the line is testing ok???

He mentioned the Sky box could be the problem and all the usual excuses, but I asked him if it was more likely down to the fact that we are on a carrier line - which we are. He told me that had nothing to do with it. Went off and checked again, as I said we were having all kinds of problems with the line, including getting Eircom phonewatch and not discounting the obvious problem of not being able to get broadband (don't worry, I'm fully aware there's no obligation on their part to provide DSL). So I told him to take us off the carrier as we're having nothing but problems with it. He's just come back and told me that it's not possible to take us off the carrier and the line is testing fine. WHAT THE F**K!!!!! This is ridiculous, I mean this is totally ridiculous :mad:

Order broadband from them. They have to be instructed to remove it as it takes a while and he probably had other jobs to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭RedLedbetter

Afriad I've been down that road long ago and isn't a runner:
    1. Was originally told my line wasn't suitable, so ordered a new line that I wanted DSL enabled
    2. On the day new line was to be installed, got a call from Eircom engineer to say no lines in our area could or would be suitable due to legacy issues with main line (very old line and all in our area lumped onto a carrier - not "economically viable" to upgrade)
    3. started getting noise and crossed calls on the line, so reported a fault - fault is now registered as fixed and engineer told me we won't/can't be removed from carrier as no available copper

Nothing surprises me with these guys, but there has to be something seriously wrong here? Several other people in the locality are reporting crossed lines too, genuninely.

Another thing I questioned, to my understanding, if you are on a carrier, there is a white box on the pole your connected to, most houses in the area have this but ours does not and I've been told we are definitely on a carrier.

I've been trying to get this resolved for a couple of years, but telling me our fault is fixed, yet being extremely vague about how it could possibly be - I think I'm being really screwed over this time.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

This sounds the same as DACS boxes in the UK, BT remove them alright but it has to make business sense. BT unlike eircom will generally spend upto 20K before saying it doesn't make business sense to do so....though it depends how many customers are on the DACS as well.

If Eircom wont remove it there's nothing you can do as long as they provide a line that can take 28K dialup

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭RedLedbetter

Thanks Cabaal - however, I've looked into what Eircom are obliged to provide users and the only reference I can find is to them providing a "Functional Internet Connection", which from what I can see is open to interpretation.

Is there any formal reference to an actual speed in kbps of what speed a "Functional Internet Connection" is, or the actual speed in kbps that Eircom have to provide over dial-up?

Thanks again,
    Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

You could try ordering ISDN, as it requires a dedicated copper pair from the exchange...PITA but could a stepping stone...

Do you have any other options?: http://mapviewer.broadband.gov.ie/ServiceByLocationSearchWF.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 andmoreagain

My line had a carrier too and I can see that you are in a Catch-22 situation. They won't take an order for ISDN because of the carrier. That's what happened with me, but I was lucky because for some reason when the exchange was enabled for DSL my line came up as amber, meaning I was a maybe, so they took the order. You might be able to get them to look at it again if you keep complaining.
    AFAIK Comreg is aiming for what they call a "functional internet access" speed of 28.8kbps as far as I know. Here's a link: http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg0818.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

i was told once that its 14.4kbps min, any less and you have a case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Look into the fixed wireless providers in Your area

Advertisement