Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I signed up for a premium text service that cost me a lot of money

Options
  • 19-02-2009 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hi,
    I am a prepay customer for vodafone. I noticed that my balanced went down by 2 Ruros inspite of not making any calls. When I brought to notice to vodafone I was told that
    "You are receiving 3rd party text messages to your phone from 57052 in
    order to stop this coming into your phone your just text the stop to
    57052. As this is not a Vodafone service we are unable to see how
    long you are receiving these message however i have submited the
    information below as to their details.

SMS Short Code Allocations - Results for Code "57052"

Short Code Service Provider Telephone Address
    57052 Modeva 01 4887210. [URL="wlmailhtml:{BBD2035A-798D-4311-B807-E91F01C67EE0}mid://00000039/!x-usc:mailto:customer@modeva.ie"]customer@modeva.ie[/URL] "

Now I believe it is big business I remember getting around 20 messages from this number; it means I have taken 40 euro hit. Please advise me how to go about to recover and expose such practice.
    I ahve stopped it by texting stop and received confirmation that I will not recive such messages.

I am surprised that Vodafone is shrugging of its responsibility as a service provider.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭me87_ie

They're not responsible because to receive these texts you have had to text them.
    And in the T&C's of Modeva it would tell you that it is a subscription service, how much it would charge and how to stop it....

It's now common practice for all these services to have a send "STOP" to the original number you had subscribed with - as previously these companies were using different variations like "UNSUB" etc. making it difficult to stop them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

aqua2027 wrote: »
    Please advise me how to go about to recover and expose such practice.

To be brutally honest, I have no time for people who subscribe to these services, then come onto the likes of Boards.ie moaning about how they were "ripped off".

These service providers don't "magically" get your phone number and start texting you. Either you, or somebody with access to your phone had to sign up for the service.

It's simple - read the terms and conditions before you sign up and if you can't deal with paying for a service that you sign up for, well then that's your problem, not Vodafone's.

Anyway, there is a sticky at the top of this forum with details on how to deal with such services. Have a read over it and see how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Hi,
    I am a prepay customer for vodafone. I noticed that my balanced went down by 2 Ruros inspite of not making any calls. When I brought to notice to vodafone I was told that
    "You are receiving 3rd party text messages to your phone from 57052 in
    order to stop this coming into your phone your just text the stop to
    57052. As this is not a Vodafone service we are unable to see how
    long you are receiving these message however i have submited the
    information below as to their details.

SMS Short Code Allocations - Results for Code "57052"

Short Code Service Provider Telephone Address
    57052 Modeva 01 4887210. [URL="wlmailhtml:{BBD2035A-798D-4311-B807-E91F01C67EE0}mid://00000039/!x-usc:mailto:customer@modeva.ie"]customer@modeva.ie[/URL] "

Now I believe it is big business I remember getting around 20 messages from this number; it means I have taken 40 euro hit. Please advise me how to go about to recover and expose such practice.
    I ahve stopped it by texting stop and received confirmation that I will not recive such messages.

I am surprised that Vodafone is shrugging of its responsibility as a service provider.

its because vodafone arent doing anything wrong, you got yourself subscribed to this, simple as, either entering a tv competition or downloading a ringtone or something similar, no point giving out to vodafone as they wont do anythin about refunding your money

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

krudler wrote: »
    its because vodafone arent doing anything wrong, you got yourself subscribed to this, simple as, either entering a tv competition or downloading a ringtone or something similar, no point giving out to vodafone as they wont do anythin about refunding your money

while they're not doing anything wrong legally, i wish the law would change. for example if a dodgy company refuses to cancel a direct debit on my bank account, i can call the bank who are responsible for keeping my money safe and tell them to stop giving that company my money. it'd be nice if the money i've given to my network was treated with the same security as the money i put in the bank

I've updated the thread title to give a more accurate representation of the issue.

Any problems with this, please PM me directly, lets not get into a discussion about it on thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 aqua2027

dear all,
    that is the problem, as per my memory during last four months of my stay in Ireland, I have never subscribed to any service/competition. Anways I have sent mail to the modeva, waiting for their reply.
    I am seeing it for the first time that you pay for the Message you receive. Thanks TOM for changing the thread title, I am not against VODAFONE but the practice by which it enable the companies to make money on innocent customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    while they're not doing anything wrong legally, i wish the law would change. for example if a dodgy company refuses to cancel a direct debit on my bank account, i can call the bank who are responsible for keeping my money safe and tell them to stop giving that company my money. it'd be nice if the money i've given to my network was treated with the same security as the money i put in the bank
    I agree. A network should be able to cancel these services at the subscribers request.
    At the moment there is no incentive to help as they get a cut from these premium texts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

It is possible to get "signed up" to these services without wanting to or knowing about it. My grandfather kept complaining about losing credit and it turned out that he'd been charged by one of these companies. We rang them and asked about it; they claimed he'd texted them to sign up. This is impossible as he doesn't know how to text! We just lodged a complaint with Comreg and got them to stop charging him.

Ah but does he have any grandkids who might have fancied a ring tone ;)

That's usually how these things start.

None of them are stupid enough to pay for ringtones! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭turly

Hey, I've just had a great idea for a business!

1. Set up one of these 2 euro / text companies, using say 66666. It sends a message comprising a single space character -- some random number of days after you subscribe. And then at a random period of days thereafter, every 15-20 days or so.

2. In the pub, at parties, etc., go around saying, "Jeez, that's a nice phone, I was thinking of getting one of those, can I have a look at it?" [Quick text to 66666.] "Yeah, it's not bad..." [Delete sent text].

3. Profit! Insert maniacal laugh here: Muuuuaaahaaahaaaaa!

So if some lanky guy in a pub asks you if you'd mind if he had a look at your phone, DON'T GIVE IT TO HIM! :D

mobius42 wrote: »
    It is possible to get "signed up" to these services without wanting to or knowing about it.

But how, though? Do they randomly pick mobile phone numbers? Do they try a range of numbers? Do they physically steal the phone? :)

I've had a mobile for probably 8-9 years now, both work and personal and have never once been afflicted with this phenomenon. I genuinely cannot understand how somebody can "suddenly" start receiving these text messages.

I recall a case discussed here on boards a few years ago where some guy had texted a response to a TV3 quiz or something, and 18 months later magically starts receiving 2-euro-per-text messages. Apparently it was claimed that the T&Cs of the competition allowed for this... but the T&Cs were in 4-point text on a TV screen for 3 seconds. Can't remember much more than that though.

If you want to be paranoid: if you text your number to a commercial enterprise - beware.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    But how, though? Do they randomly pick mobile phone numbers? Do they try a range of numbers? Do they physically steal the phone? :)

I see your point and I admit I'm not sure how they do get them. I read about a similar scam in America where they just has really loose rules for signing up. For example, your number just had to be entered into their website and you would be signed up. Anyone could just enter anyone's number! There's definitely something dodgy about them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

I was hit by one such service . I just changed my number got a new simcard

I called the MODEVA and they told me that I have participated in a competition " Win a Free SATNAV". I remembering doing that in December; but I am sure; there was no mention of that I will be sent message whihc I will have to pay. They said that they sent me SMS informing that I will have to pay to recieve such message and I can stop it. But I never received such messages from them. I KNOW I TRAPPED; IS THERE ANY WAY I CAN APPROACH ANY AUTHORITIES AND PENALISE THEM. I did it for fun; which I think was a costly one on myself.
    FOR OTHERS PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM GIVING YOUR PHONE NUMBER TO SUCH BUSINESS (MIS) ENTERPRISE

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭danger mouse

If you receive such texts just text back with "stop" straight away. Dont bother ringing them or emailing either as you will just lose money waiting on a reply.

IS THERE ANY WAY I CAN APPROACH ANY AUTHORITIES AND PENALISE THEM.

Sorry, what? You want to take action against the company on what grounds? As I said in my previous post, there is a sticky at the top of the forum with details on who to contact, including ComReg, the Communications Regulator.

I am not for a minute defending these clowns, but you can be sure they did nothing illegal. Underhanded and probably not very clear, yes, illegal, no.
    I did it for fun; which I think was a costly one on myself.

And there you have it. In one sentence. You did it for fun, without reading the full terms and conditions and yet you try to blame this company.

As I have said earlier, I have no sympathy for you.
    FOR OTHERS PLEASE STAY AWAY FROM GIVING YOUR PHONE NUMBER TO SUCH BUSINESS (MIS) ENTERPRISE

Why? Because you didn't read the terms and conditions?

Must be great to always be right, eh?

turly wrote: »
    Must be great to always be right, eh?

What exactly do you mean by that? Right about what?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Tableman

Just seen same thing has happened to me.

Definitely never signed up to such a thing, can only think that it they got my number off a competition I entered on Today FM or Newstalk....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

i used to get these randomly on some sim. i don't think they ever sent texts but for about a year i couldn't really use that sim without the credit disappearing off it. fixed now i assume the company doing it has been eaten by Recession Stephen

today fm and newstalk don't sign you up to these services

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Tableman

Well, in that case, I was signed up automatically because I am absolutely sure I never signed up myself - I am very careful when it comes to these type of things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

IS THERE ANY WAY I CAN APPROACH ANY AUTHORITIES AND PENALISE THEM.
    Sorry, what? You want to take action against the company on what grounds? As I said in my previous post, there is a sticky at the top of the forum with details on who to contact, including ComReg, the Communications Regulator.

I am not for a minute defending these clowns, but you can be sure they did nothing illegal. Underhanded and probably not very clear, yes, illegal, no.
    I did it for fun; which I think was a costly one on myself.

And there you have it. In one sentence. You did it for fun, without reading the full terms and conditions and yet you try to blame this company.

How come when you decided to pick apart and dismiss everything in his post you conveniently decided to exclude this part?;
    They said that they sent me SMS informing that I will have to pay to recieve such message and I can stop it. But I never received such messages from them

You're being a bit harsh on aqua2027 here. His/Her only crime was to be a bit naive, but this is how those companies operate; they intentionally prey on the naive and young people with rip off ringtone subscriptions.

You said yourself that while what they do is not illegal, it is underhanded and not very clear. Now judging by you're complete lack of sympathy for the OP, would it be fair to say that you are advocating said underhanded and unclear practice by these companies??

I think these companies are a disgrace. Ringtone companies in particular should be barred from signing customers up to subscription services. Because despite the fact that they say under 16's should ask the billpayers permission, they know full well that 99% of the time this will not happen. They know that under 16's is their target audience.

OP, lesson to be learned here. Be careful what you sign up for. Always check your credit after you get a message from an unusual number. As for your vanished credit, I'm afraid you'll just have to forget about it!

jordainius wrote: »
    How come when you decided to pick apart and dismiss everything in his post you conveniently decided to exclude this part?;

That can be very easily be checked.
    would it be fair to say that you are advocating said underhanded and unclear practice by these companies??

No, it wouldn't, and I'd be very careful about throwing around such allegations.
    I think these companies are a disgrace.

As do I. But in the 8-9 years I have had a mobile phone, I have never once been a victim of such companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

That can be very easily be checked.
    jordainius wrote:
    How come when you decided to pick apart and dismiss everything in his post you conveniently decided to exclude this part?
    They said that they sent me SMS informing that I will have to pay to recieve such message and I can stop it. But I never received such messages from them

I didn't ask whether it could be easily checked or not. I asked why you chose to ignore it. The rest of what you said in the relevant post clearly indicates that you have not taken into account the fact that aqua2027 said he/she did not receive these messages.
    No, it wouldn't, and I'd be very careful about throwing around such allegations.

I asked a question. I did not make an allegation. There is a difference. Threaten me all you like, I've done/said nothing wrong.
    As do I. But in the 8-9 years I have had a mobile phone, I have never once been a victim of such companies.
    Lucky you. However the same can't be said for everyone.

Anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭geffkane

Sam Vimes wrote: »

That is not totally accurate. These companies have been caught multiple times using so called "sucker lists" These are numbers that they buy from contacts that have access to numbers that have texted to radio and TV shows. Now obviously they want to target mobile numbers of people who are less likely to either complain or be believed such as children so for example a list of numbers that have text voted for Eoghan Quigg on the X Factor would be worth much more than a list of numbers that have sent comments to a political discussion programme on Newstalk.

If you received premium texts this may be where they have obtained your number.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

seriously Tom, do you read the full T&C of every piece of software you install/buy, or every piece of software you update?

• Advertisement

I pursued my case with MODEVA and it was good to see that the company has decided to refund 34 Euros to me.:)

Advertisement