Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jackie skelly again

Options
  • 17-02-2009 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭

hi all

signed up a good while ago to jackie skelly clarendon st. got no contract or terms&conditions only thing i signed was a contact form with my name and address and email. ive decided to cancel now for a number of reasons that i wont go into here but i wasnt happy there. now jackie skelly say as per my contract they are going to debit me for another two months. i dont have a contract and this was never mentioned to me. i dont want skelly to have any more of my money for that place. do i have to pay this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

If you are absolutely sure you didn't sign a contract, ask them for a copy of the contract; they won't be able to provide one.

In the meantime stop the standing order on your account, or block the direct debit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

I'm in ballsbridge, sent them notice of cancellation and have received a reply that my last payment will be in april? With no reason at all? I never got a contract either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭ChickCool

AARRRGH wrote: »
    If you are absolutely sure you didn't sign a contract, ask them for a copy of the contract; they won't be able to provide one.

In the meantime stop the standing order on your account, or block the direct debit.

they got back to me and said it was a paperless contract?wtf? i was never ever given anything to sign or a copy of any rules or terms etc, never used the voice recording contract at all. paperless contract sounds to me like thye know theres no contract but are still charging me!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭will1977

I was with them for 2 years and decided to cancel. So stopped my direct debit and advised them. They then rang to say my direct debit had not gone through and said I had to give 2 months notice. They said they were going to send out a new direct debit form and I told them to work away, Not a hope in hell of me filling it in. That was 6 months ago and not heard a thing so I wouldn't worry !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Cancel the direct debit for a start, while you contest the bill.

There is a verbal contract, which could be what they're getting at, but they're not worth the paper their written on as neither side has any real proof of anything, unless it was recorded.

If they want to enforce a contract, then they need to prove one exists. You using the service they provided, and paying all these months, could be construed as your acceptance of a contract, so that might be all they need.

If you don't pay, then JS will use debt collectors, and they won't go away easily.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭ChickCool

i used the service alright but i was paying for a gym and have decided to cancel.i was never told any of these terms so how could me going to the gym entitle them to more money when the service they provided was so inadequet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

ChickCool wrote: »
    they got back to me and said it was a paperless contract?wtf? i was never ever given anything to sign or a copy of any rules or terms etc, never used the voice recording contract at all. paperless contract sounds to me like thye know theres no contract but are still charging me!

LOL "paperless contract".

Tell them to **** off and block the direct debit.

They are not listed as a member of the Irish Credit Bureau so you will not get a bad credit history.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭daithip

Maybe this should be in the legal discussion forum but a girl who works with me joined JS about 2 years ago giving her laser card details to pay for the first month. Year and a half later she informs them she is cancelling her membership and stopping her direct debit. They then took 2 months membership fee form her account using her laser details without her consent. Has to be something illegal about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

If you canel the direct debit then make sure you also write a letter to your bank asking them to cancel it from their end, send a copy to Jackie Skelly as well.

I used to work in the direct debits department of a Bank in Ireland and iirc Jackie Skelly are on the DD+ scheme which means once they have your account number they can set up a direct debit and take funds from your account (they are only supposed to do this when they have authorisation which in this case is debatable)

This is ridiculous, is there any legitimate reason why they would require an additional two months payment?

If they're not giving people copies of their t&c 's then charging them for an extra two months it sounds like a bit of a scam.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

DD+ is a fraudsters charter . Every bank official in Dublin is well aware of how Jackie Skelly scams the DD+ system but we don't have a Financial Regulator in this country ...do we ??! :(

Skelly will not have a copy of the ' telephone call ' where you allegedly set up the paperless contract either which is how you get out clean. Write to their accounts dept asking for a copy of the paperless contract on CD Rom in mp3 format

Cancel the DD anyway in the bank.

Then inform IPSO.ie who maintain the DD system that it is cancelled and is being fraudulently abused . IPSO.ie will try to blame the bank but they actually run DD+ for all the banks and you told the bank anyway .

Tell IPSO they themselves are 100% liable for any losses after the DD+ is cancelled and you will find that they can indeed block these things.

Why is it so hard to make sure jackie skelly don't steal from you??? When you've cancelled a service and they continue debitting you it amounts to theft. If it were an honest mistake i'd understand but i've seen and heard a ridiculous amount of these continued debitting stories. I've emailed them about why i have to pay an extra 2 months and gotten no response....:rolleyes:

Advertisement