Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CT100 Vs TX100

Options
  • 10-02-2009 2:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭

CT100 Vs TX100 Whats the Difference?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Think the main difference is the manufacturer, TX100 cable is made by Triax, it is an extremely good cable approved by use by the CAI in the Uk,

It is very low loss and can be used for all purposes, cable tv, satellite, terrestrial aerials etc so I'd definetly recommend using it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Ct100 is a generic term as its not longer made. TX100 is industry standard cable as cerified by the CAI in the UK

mcguyver wrote: »
    CT100 Vs TX100 Whats the Difference?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 12,447 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I used wf100 2 years ago, mostly refers to the plasticin middle and whether it is hollow or full, for bending purposes. The 100 usually means proper copper wire as Tony has mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The 100 means 1mm core
    the bigger the inner core wire for a given impedance (75 or 50 are common), the lower the loss.

The type of insulation has some effect on loss, but not as much. Thus 125 cable has lower loss (1.25mm) and 400 lower still (4mm).

The 75 Ohms is due to ratio of radius outer surface of core and inner surface of shield or screen, for a given insulation material.

Larger diameter cables can have only copper plating on a steel core. Very large cables use a thin wall copper pipe for inner core as at RF the current all flows on the opposing surfaces, to a shallower depth at higher frequencies. Very high frequency cable uses Silver plating, Gold is poorer conductivity (only advantage is lack of corrosion) and not used.

Large diameter cables for Cable TV trunking can use aluminium core for cost reduction and lightness as at 3mm core the surface area is 3 times more than TX100. Aluminium is poorer conductor than Copper.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I use TX100 almost exclusively atm, and find it very good cable.

Looking at prices for RG6 out of curiousity, I can see why some may use it, since trade price is less than half of that for TX100 (per 250m roll).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭nazoil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Sam Radford

TheDriver wrote: »
    I used wf100 2 years ago, mostly refers to the plasticin middle

I can assure you that the dielectric is polythene and not Plasticene! :D

Advertisement