Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to insulate sloped ceiling - can't block the eaves

Options
  • 02-01-2009 12:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi there,

I live in a 1930s end of terrace house - did some renovations before moving in but scrimped and lost confidence after some poor work performed. So I've been trying to make up for the wasted opportunities ever since.:eek:

Didn't dry-line the external walls in the main part of the house (did do the extension). Have had double glazing installed recently and have noticed that I'm getting a lot of mould on the bathroom and bedroom walls and ceilings. Still find that the rooms are a lot colder than downstairs too.

Both rooms have a sloped ceiling (as do all other upstairs rooms). Bathroom has a fan in wall as was told by "expert" that couldn't put through ceiling as there's very little room to manoeuvre/tight space to eaves/soffit. (Fair point re practicality of installation but it doesn't help with heating the room:() No vent in bedroom at all.

Considering dry-lining the walls but bathroom is really tight and would require changing suite completely.

Would like to try to insulate the ceiling more as when I put in loft insulation I was careful not to block the eaves, but this means that the sloped areas of the ceiling are not insulated at all.

I'm loath to put in any more vents in walls given the cold that comes into the bathroom.

Has anyone insulated these sloping ceilings. Very hard to access from attic. Plus no real way of leaving the required 50mm gap for ventilation, when crouched in - I've tried (Novice that I am) and I can't do it successfully. Just blocking the eaves completely.

Is the only way to knock out the plaster from the inside, insulate, reboard and reskim? Or maybe I should just put in double radiators?:o

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

There are afew treads on insulating attic ceilings with fibre glass.
    In your case I'd suggest you look at Knauf, Kingspan and Xtherm web sites.

The cheapest option is to install 50mm or 60mm foil insulation board between your joist. Cut to size with a circular saw and friction fitted tightly between joists. 60mm foil is better than fibre glass IMO and certainly better than nothing.
    You could insulate under the slope with a similar board with plaster slab attached. This will give you an overall insulation thickness of 100 - 120mm. Get a Plastered to skim the new plasterboard ceilings and walls. (I'm assuming the slope is only about 900mm long in each room)

Increase fibre glass insulation to 300mm over main roof. 100mm between joist and 200mm perpendicular to joists.

Dry-lining walls with a similar board will help also but you will need to move wc cistern etc. Are your bathroom walls tiled?
    If its financially viable to do it in the bathroom then its worth the effort. Definitely try to do it in other rooms.

Advertisement