Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bicycle on Ryanair

Options
  • 14-12-2008 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭

I am off to Berlin shortly and I plan to get a second hand dutch bicycle.

Has anybody taken a bicycle on a Ryanair flight? I have read about the conditions and costs but would like to hear about personal experiences.

Thanks,
    Gustavo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭emty

Best to book it in advance,around 25 euro I think.Just make it as easy as possible for the baggage handlers to deal with and you should have no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Yes, many times, and it was absolutely fine, they are certainly no worse than any other airline in this regard. Indeed better than Aer Lingus who now have a 15kg limit on a packed bike (although they don't always enforce this.) To an extent your experience bringing a bike will likely be more down to the airport than the airline.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Sean02

If i'm not mistaken you have to book in your bike when sorting your tickets. If you just book and don't pay make sure you pay and get a receipt at the Airline Ticket desk before you check-in otherwise it's a hugh hassle going back and forth in order to get your boarding pass. At least take of the pedals, insulating tape will secure them and spanner to frame. It's also a good idea to half deflate tyres otherwise you will be asked to fully deflate them, thus risking damage when the bike is gently! placed on ground off conveyor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I had a few experiences with Ryan Air and bikes and there were mixed.
    I took my trek as it is on the plane from france last summer,, my back wheel arrived very buckled as it got stuck in the luggage belt at Dublin airport $%&*£!!!! ...however when I took my good bike in a case to the alps, I had no problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

I had a few experiences with Ryan Air and bikes and there were mixed.
    I took my trek as it is on the plane from france last summer,, my back wheel arrived very buckled as it got stuck in the luggage belt at Dublin airport $%&*£!!!! ...however when I took my good bike in a case to the alps, I had no problem with it.

same happened me with fishing rods. Been to two airports at the same time with fishing rods, no such problem - just dublin of course.

never brought a bike tho, but i've heard from a few people that bringing bikes through Knock was brilliant because they actually wrapped up the bikes in wrapping foam. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Sean02 wrote: »
    It's also a good idea to half deflate tyres otherwise you will be asked to fully deflate them, thus risking damage when the bike is gently! placed on ground off conveyor.

I forgot to deflate mine and there was no issue. Although they were off the bike and in the bike bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Niallface

this might be a good plan.
    last year i drove to rosslare, spent 28 hours on a broken boat, arrived in cherbourg, hostel, train to paris, tgv to grenoble, cycle to hostel, cycle to bourg de oisans, pitch tent,,

shortened to arrive dublin airport early, plane to grenoble, cycle to bourg de oisans pitch tent, might be nice,

howeaver when we where there some ausrtailians told us about a carbon fibre bike being destroyed and a large ding in another while on a plane. hmmmm wrap them well i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

For carbon fibre I would (and did) use a bike box. I've brought aluminum, titanium and steel completely unwrapped without issues, but it could have just been the routes we did. When flying to (and back) from the Alps this year they put the bikes on the conveyor in both Grenoble and Dublin, which had never happened to me before- previously they would always wheel the bikes in separately. I think they were largely fine despite this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭gzoladz

All,

Thank you very much for all the answers. The bike I plan to buy is a second hand dutch bike with 3 gears sturmey archer style.

Second hand for two reasons:

1. Cheaper (circa €150 against €600)
    2. Doesnt look new, hence less chance of getting it stolen here.

I will ask the shop to box it, so that should reduce the possibility of damage.

Thank you all and will let you know how I got on.

Gustavo

Advertisement