Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tracker Rates

Options
  • 08-12-2008 9:52am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Guys looking for some advice, currently have a fixed rate with PTSB that is up in April, presuming that the interest rates stay the way they are, can i fix my rate again and the new lower level or do PTSB have new higher rates?

I cant find much info on it on their site only rates for new business.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,402 ✭✭✭✭kippy

What is your fixed at the moment?
    Depending on that,
    You will be able to fix at whatever rates they have at the time although variable MAY be a better option for a few months in case they go down a bit more in which case you could review during the summer and possible fix then.....

They dont do trackers anymore as far as I am aware, fixed for a term or variable are the options.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

kippy wrote: »
    What is your fixed at the moment?
    Depending on that,
    You will be able to fix at whatever rates they have at the time although variable MAY be a better option for a few months in case they go down a bit more in which case you could review during the summer and possible fix then.....

They dont do trackers anymore as far as I am aware, fixed for a term or variable are the options.

4.75% is my rate at the moment, I would prefer to fix as at least then I know what i'm paying out each month!!

Will they offer rates that are 1% above the ECB rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭balon

kippy wrote: »

I just changed to a tracker with PTSB 2 weeks ago... Was surprised to be offered it at all...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

balon wrote: »
    I just changed to a tracker with PTSB 2 weeks ago... Was surprised to be offered it at all...

Balon were you an exisiting customer?

Perhaps its only for new customers they don't offer?

4.75% is my rate at the moment, I would prefer to fix as at least then I know what i'm paying out each month!!

I hear you in relation to knowing what you are paying out each month however, indications are that the ECB rates are due to come down again early in the new year with possibly more reductions later in the year.
    I would go variable until later next year and possibly get a lower fixed than when you get off your fixed. Now, some banks say they will not be passing on any more ECB rate reductions in any way but only time will tell if that happens.

Am surprised about that tracker, possibly only offering to existing customers coming off fixed?
    Kippy

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice guys

Balon were you an exisiting customer?

Perhaps its only for new customers they don't offer?

Been with them 2 years - had a 2 year discount variable option and this was offered as an option as the 2 years were up.....

Been with them 2 years - had a 2 year discount variable option and this was offered as an option as the 2 years were up.....

How long before your variable did you get this offer?

How long before your variable did you get this offer?

About a month before the 2 years were up. Letter with options came out at around start of November with a deadline to get back to them by Nov 30 before they would have automatically put us on a variable...

Thanks Balon, that's good to know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭rod flanders

My TSB tracker is 1.1% above ECB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

About a month before the 2 years were up. Letter with options came out at around start of November with a deadline to get back to them by Nov 30 before they would have automatically put us on a variable...

What tracker rate were you offered btw?

1.68. I know it's high, but I reckon it's good for a while the way things are/are going...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

dont know how to look it up so maybe someone could link it, but I was reading teletxt saturday / sunday morning and PTSB were saying that they wont be passing any more rate changes onto the customer as its costing them too much on " credit transferes"...or somthing along those lines. I have a tracker with them three years now so I would be sick if that 3/4 decrease was the last of the good time for me! :(

gaz wac wrote: »
    dont know how to look it up so maybe someone could link it, but I was reading teletxt saturday / sunday morning and PTSB were saying that they wont be passing any more rate changes onto the customer as its costing them too much on " credit transferes"...or somthing along those lines. I have a tracker with them three years now so I would be sick if that 3/4 decrease was the last of the good time for me! :(

The have no option but to "pass on" ECB rate decreases to Tracker customers.
    What I believe they are referring to is that their variable and new fixed rates wont be decreasing in line with any further ECB rate decreases.

Advertisement