Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym - Malahide Area

Options
  • 17-11-2008 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

Hi, i have just moved to Malahide and i am looking for a new gym to join. I was in Total Fitness (Clare Hall) tonite and wasn't overly impressed. Can anyone recommend any other gyms in / near Malahide, thanks in advance
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

ALSAA Dublin Airport and the gym in the Grand Hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭oo7

Is anyone a member of the Grand Hotel gym. Is it any good, thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

There's a good gym in the Portmarnock Leisure Centre, about 10 minute bus journey from Malahide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

oo7 wrote: »
    Is anyone a member of the Grand Hotel gym. Is it any good, thanks in advance

Yeah if you want to pay a grand for joining it!

The Northwood one in Santry is supposed to be good and it's very cheap, last time I checked was only €250 for a year. If that's too far away (about 20-30 mins I think?) the one in Portmarnock Leisure Club is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Galvasean wrote: »
    There's a good gym in the Portmarnock Leisure Centre, about 10 minute bus journey from Malahide.

Yep the Portmarnock Sports and lesuire is nice, be cheaper than the Grand anyhows.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know how much Portmarnock gym is. Sorry i am new to the area, is this gym near Malahide golf club (at the traffic lights) or am i thinking of somewhere else, thanks

Can anyone help me here, sorry i am very new to the area

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

http://pslc.ie/prices.html

€100 a year, or €30 for a student plus €5.90 (or €4.60 for student) each time. At twice a week that's €713 a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭uprooted shane

Clare Bear wrote: »
    Yeah if you want to pay a grand for joining it!

The Northwood one in Santry is supposed to be good and it's very cheap,.

yea im a member here! very good gym,. equipment is always in working order, and lots of machines, has everything you'll ever need really! it is a good bit away. during the summer, i was picking up my mate from malahide after i was in the gym and its a good 15 min at minimum drive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

The Portmarnock gym is good, I used to go there when I lived in the area. It was about €550 a year for non-PSLC members though. That's for unlimited gym use though, but it doesn't include any of the classes.

It's quite small compared to some of the bigger places like Total Fitness, Westwood etc, but that's usually only a problem in january/february when lots of people sign up for their new years resolutions. The gym staff are pretty good too.

• Advertisement

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    http://pslc.ie/prices.html

€100 a year, or €30 for a student plus €5.90 (or €4.60 for student) each time. At twice a week that's €713 a year.

Em, i think i'l be giving that gym a miss also. I usually go 5 times a weeks so that works out at €1634 a year.

Can anyone else advise on any other gym that is close to Malahide. I really like Westwood gym in Clontarf but it is too far away, thanks again for the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Sportslink in Santry? Don't know if that'd be too far. If you have a car it should be fine. There's generally a few kids around the place, but the gym is upstairs and kids obviously aren't allowed in the gym so they won't get in the way or annoy you or anything. They give discount rates if you're a civil servant. If you're definitely going to go 5 times a week, then they have a "swim and gym" membership:

€610 membership if you're a civil servant. You can use the gym and pool as much as you want, you don't have to pay as you use it.
    or if you're not a civil servant, then it's €625 for the same thing.

There's a gym in Donabate too that you might want to check out. I'm not sure how much it is but a few of my friends go there a bit so it can't be expensive:
    http://www.donabatecommunitycentre.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

oo7 wrote: »
    Em, i think i'l be giving that gym a miss also. I usually go 5 times a weeks so that works out at €1634 a year.

Ring them & ask what their current prices for annual gym membership. I'd be suprised if it's anything over €600 for unlimited use.

That calculation seems to be based on membership of the leisure centre & then paying for each gym visit on a pay as you go basis, which would be expensive.

I haven't used the gym there in about 18 months but I was paying around €50 a month direct debit for my membership (and I'm not a member of the leisure centre, never have been).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Cazlou

It's gas hearing people say how downhill TF has gone, I worked there back in the day and anyone I've met since it was taken over has said how much it has changed. Such a pity :(:pac:

OP if you drive then the next nearest would probably be Jackie Skelly's in Applewood, or if you just want somewhere small there's a gym in the Castle Shopping centre also in Swords.
    If you don't drive then maybe Slender Health in Raheny as it's along the dart-line?

Advertisement