Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Camera to buy: Basic level of digital compact cameras

Options
  • 19-11-2008 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭

After reading the sticky above

Requirements; I need a camera that I can take Snowboarding with me, so it needs to be compact, no protruding bits, can take decent scenic shots and can take fast shots when needed ie trying to catch someone as they preform a trick.

Waterproof to some degree but shockproof would probably be better. A lot of my friends have all damaged their screens during ski trips either cracking or smashing them so I would like something that could last.

Budget: Up to €200 Euro

This (below) seems to sum it all up for me

Does anyone have any recommendations please?
    Or if thats too vague, what brands should I go for or should I be looking for anything in particular?
    Basic level of digital compact cameras
    Very small cameras, easy to carry them everywhere, also water proof versions. They have zoom (variable focal length), built-in flash and basic programs. They produce reasonable files for prints if you don't want to print posters.
    Typical use: Walkabout camera allowing you to produce pictures of people, landscapes and details. User programs help even unskilled users to get nice pictures, so even the small ones could play with them.
    Advantages: Small, cheap, acceptable picture quality, easy to use and easy to forget when you loose it.
    Disadvantages: Picture quality is not acceptable to produce quality large prints (and I mean LARGE prints), shutter delay, limited control of exposure and a little poorer file compression

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭dakar

In a recent review that I read in a camera mag, the Olympus mju 1030SW came out on top of a test of waterproof, shockproof, freezeproof compacts. It came through literally unscathed despite a barrage of pretty nasty tests. It might be a bit beyond your budget but seems to have all the attributes you're looking for. I think there may be some other compacts a bit lower in the same Olympus range that are also shockproof etc and may be nearer to the price you were aiming for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

@dakar Thank you, that camera looks very good!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

That Oly is a beaut of a camera, was playing with one before and really liked it. Got one for my cousin recently.

Would be worth the the addition to the budget!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭dakar

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Would be worth the the addition to the budget!

Especially if you're going to be using it a fair bit in harsh conditions (and as a Winter Sports mod, it's a fair assumption that you will!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

@Fajitas!, dakar

I think you might be right, I'm going to go for that one. It looks quite good and its getting great reviews online.

Thanks you again for your help! you made a tough task quite easy for me!!

Appreciate it

• Advertisement
Advertisement