I had a look through all the posts regarding burner problems and I hope this hasn't been dealt with before. Hopefully someone here knows more than I do about it. There's a long story behind this and it started with the last kerosene delivery guy not closing the top of my tank properly, resulting in water ingress etc, etc. I ended up buying a new burner but because there was still residue being drawn through the fuel line due to a dodgy filter (at the tank), my new burner has stopped working.
The situation currently is:
I have replaced the fuel line filter. I have bled the fuel pump. I have cleaned the pump filter. I have cleaned the pump cogs and blown out all the cavities. I have checked that the nozzle is clean. I have checked that the fuel delivery line to the nozzle is clear. The pump drive rotates (but doesn't spin freely, if that is required - I don't know). When powered up, the air vent fails to open and atomisation of the fuel at the nozzle doesn't occur. I removed the nozzle and discovered that no fuel is being delivered period when the pump is supposed to be pumping.
I feel I have at least a passing knowledge of the workings of the unit but am absolutely stumped at this:
When the pump is running, I removed the bolt where a pressure gauge can be fitted and the kerosene spurts out perhaps 12 inches. However, if I do the same at the bleed point (the allen head at the front of the pump filter) when the pump is running, I get nothing at all coming out!
I read on another post that if the air vent is failing to open, then there is not sufficient pressure being developed by the fuel pump. However, I have done everything I can to ensure that the pump and all lines are bled and free of residue. And the whole burner unit including pump are only a few days old. Help!