Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VFC HK416 DX review.

Options
  • 06-10-2008 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭

Well its finally here, I was suprised how quick it got here actually. Ordered it from WGC Shop on Wednesday the 1st of October. They sent it out Thursday evening and it was in Dubai the next day and spent the weekend there. Go to the 6th of October, today and it was in Germany at 4am and checked out at Dublin airport at 7am. I couldn't believe when I answered my door at 1pm and there was Mr UPS with it and the bill in his hand.

2 days from HK to Ireland via UPS Saver, I was in shock.

Now for the price.
    The AEG was €340
    Shipping €56

VAT €83
    Duty €17
    Other Charges €13.50
    VAT on other charges €2.85

So on top of the €396 I paid WGC, I owed Mr Tax man and Mr. UPS another €116.50 at the door, which he accepted in cash thankfully.

If only I had ordered it a few months ago from Tony at Eiresoft it would only have cost me €360 + a small shipping charge:(.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

So now onto the review its self. I have been looking foward to this AEG for a long time. Being a HK fan and seeing as VFC has stopped making this AEG because of the realistic trades and copyright issues with H&K and ASG, I just had to get my hands on one while I still could. Having owned a VFC SCAR-L for the past 10 months I was expecting alot of quality from this AEG and VFC has come through again.

This AEG just reeks of quality as you take it out of the box, solid cold black metal with the HK trades staring out at you. Now there are two versions of 416 that VFC make. Thats the D10RS (Short version) and the D145RS (long version), I got the VFC DX pack which includeds the short and long inner and outer barrels but only the one hop up unit:(, can't have it all.

DSC00001-1.jpg

DSC00002.jpg

DSC00004-1.jpg

The pack also came with the two sets of sights, 300 round HK hicap mag and the plastic PEQ2 battery box. The AEG came with the 14.5'' barrel and the fixed front sight fitted, the flip up front sight was with the 10'' inner barrel in the pack. You can fit both front sights to the AEG at the same time if you want but theres no need to. The rear ghost ring sight is adjustable for windage and has 4 evelation setting depending on range of 100, 200, 300 and 400 metres, for real steel use clearly:D. Its best just left at the 0-100 setting as it goive you the widest sight picture perfect for skirmishing.

All the controls are set up for right handed use, fire selector and mag release are ony set up for ease of use by the right thumb and index finger unlike the SCAR. \pulling back on the cocking lever opens the dust cover allowing easy access to the hop up unit and showing another HK trade on the bolt, I love the detail VFC go into. The foward assit is just decoration as there is no need for it in airsoft but you can press it anyway if it does something for you.

One little nit pick on the fire selector is that it always shows that it is set at semi auto on the right side of the reciever as the right part of the fire selector switch is fixed and does not more with the left, other than that its perfect, works as it should and you know for sure what position its in when its in it just by the feel and sound of the solid click of the switch.

The grip is nicely textured, solid plastic and accurately modeled aftert the real steel in the grip angle. Its alot more comfortable and natural than the SCAR in my hand.

More on the detail that VFC have included, they have the gas block, piston rod and recoil spring mounted above the free floated barrel inside the solid RIS as per the real steel. It's a really nice touch and shows the attention to detail. The ribs on the top rail that continues straight along the hand gurad and reciever are numbered with laser engravings, so you can remember where you had various sights installed for the best eye relief.

This AEG really needs a rail covers and or a for grip when using it with out gloves just to make it a bit more comfortable in the supporting hand.

Now for the nagging bits that many already know about the VFC HK416. The stock is a little loose and does not feel as solid as I'd like, it has the HK trades on both sides and is 6 position adjustable. It has two sling mounts, a steel ring at the bottom and a slot for a 3 point jobby. There is a metal ring either side of the flip up sight mount on the other end so theres no issue there getting a sling on it.

Then on to the dreaded cheap plastic PEQ box, which you are given laser warning sticker to put on if you so wish. There really is no other space to put the battery unless you re wire it into a crane or HK417 stock, or a dual fake mag arrangement. I currently have a 8.4v small type battery in the PEQ with a bit of sponge to stop the rattling. Very impressed with the power and accuracy so far, didn't need to go near the hop unit and I'm using .23s.

Its feeding flawlessly from the HK designed improved armalite mag. The mag is all metal and has all the real steel trade on it too. The HK mag differs from your normal AR15 mag by having a continues curve insteal of the dog leg kick and its a little longer. The VFC hi cap is wound by the hex wrench supplied through a small hole on the left side of the mag. This actually mag winding a hi cap easier and alot quicker but I prefare to use mid caps.

Overall I'm very very happy with this AEG, I really can't say enough about it. I am going to get it re wired soon enough though, the PEQ is not too bad and you forget about after a bit. The AEG is a tad forward heavy as it and with a battery up front you notice it, moving it to the rear will fix that, its not as balanced as an AUG but it stil feels really good when you have it shouldered.

I don't think I could bring it to a game though, its just too nice an AEG. Its the closest AEG to the perfect replica along with the VFC SCAR in my view.

DSC00005-1.jpg

DSC00011.jpg

DSC00014.jpg

DSC00016-1.jpg

DSC00017.jpg

DSC00018.jpg

DSC00023.jpg

DSC00024.jpg

DSC00025.jpg

DSC00026.jpg