Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got my first ever goose

Options
  • 19-09-2008 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

Got my first ever goose today... Cant wait to get him in the oven

DSC01305.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭tiny-nioclas

Nice one! dont forget the goose fat for the roasties haha :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭dwighet

Nice one! dont forget the goose fat for the roasties haha :D

Ive never eaten goose before..Any suggestions on how to cook it would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭J.R.

Well done - never got one myself - must be a brilliant experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Nice one, I'd say that got the old ticker thumping!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Well done, theres something special about geese. How did you get it foreshore or decoys?
    That looks like a young one so could be good eating.
    Have only cooked goose once and im sorry to say it was not great, very strong and oily. I roasted it like you would a chicken.
    Here in scotland where im living there are 1000,s of geese shot every year a mate who shoots and eats a lot of them recommends just breasting them out and cutting the breast fillets into steaks, then frying them in a hot pan like you would a beef steak.
    Never tried it myself.
    Thats prob not much help.

• Advertisement

Chuileog wrote: »
    Well done, theres something special about geese. How did you get it foreshore or decoys?
    That looks like a young one so could be good eating.
    Have only cooked goose once and im sorry to say it was not great, very strong and oily. I roasted it like you would a chicken.
    Here in scotland where im living there are 1000,s of geese shot every year a mate who shoots and eats a lot of them recommends just breasting them out and cutting the breast fillets into steaks, then frying them in a hot pan like you would a beef steak.
    Never tried it myself.
    Thats prob not much help.
    I was lucky enough to see hlf a dozen of them in a stubble field so i thoought I would chance my arm and go home and get the shoot gun and a hand full of 3inch bb`s I drove back and they were still there so I crept into a ditch around 40-50 yds away from them to see if any more would land..Around 1/2 hour wait 4 more came into land and as they put there landing gear down lucky enough one was in range so I let him have it..

Superb:) thats a great way to get your first goose.
    They shoot them over decoys here. Very exciting when the big flocks (hundereds maybe thousands) are dropping in all around you but after a few times its like shooting fish in a barrel. I must stick some photos and video up.

Superb:) thats a great way to get your first goose.
    They shoot them over decoys here. Very exciting when the big flocks (hundereds maybe thousands) are dropping in all around you but after a few times its like shooting fish in a barrel. I must stick some photos and video up.
    sounds like great craic..I went for a spin thismorning to if any about but no luck....

So you must be in the south east is that right? Been away from irl good few years now but as far as i remember that was only area one could shoot geese?
    Do ye get many and would that lad have been migratory or resident?
    No sign of any here yet but im expecting to hear the honk honk any evening now.
    Its a right sign winter is nearly here when we hear the first flocks around here.

So you must be in the south east is that right? Been away from irl good few years now but as far as i remember that was only area one could shoot geese?
    Do ye get many and would that lad have been migratory or resident?
    No sign of any here yet but im expecting to hear the honk honk any evening now.
    Its a right sign winter is nearly here when we hear the first flocks around here.
    Im in Thurles,Tipperary..I was chatting to a member of our gun club here and he said they pass through each year around this time...I will have my eyes peeled this evening for them.

• Advertisement

Ah that makes sense alright. Theres a resident population of them on lough derg as well. Used do a bit of shooting in north tip few years ago think it was shinrone gunclub area.

Dwighet you got a pm...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭tiny-nioclas

Cook it very slowly in a turkey cooking bag is what i was told today!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭clivej

It looked a BIGGER in the photo you sent to my mobile.

Great shooting only wish I could have been there with you "for the kill".
    Cook it realy good, I'd say slow but check UTube or google, and just before serving give me a call to help with the eating.
    All the best mate and many more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Nice kill, never shot one myself unfortunately...

Found this on google, hope it helps.

Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas5.

Prick the skin of the goose all over with a fork. Season with salt and pepper. Lay some of the fat removed from the cavity over the thighs to keep them moist.

Cover with foil and place on a rack in the oven with a tray underneath so that you can empty out the fat regularly.

Roast a 4kg/9lb goose for three hours, a 4.5-5kg/10-11lb goose for three-and-a-half hours and a 5.5kg/12lb goose for four hours.

Remove the foil for 30-40 minutes before the end of the cooking time so that the skin can brown and crisp.

To test it is cooked, pierce the fattest part of the thigh with a skewer. If the juices run clear then the bird is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭jaffa20

:eek: The poor bird. I'm sorry but i was so shocked when i saw this. I wouldn't eat geese.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭ianoo

nice one dwighet..
    let us know what it tastes like ,never shot one myself

that is some stuble field you have there :D
    bet you are keeping its location to yourself

ian

Nice kill, never shot one myself unfortunately...

Found this on google, hope it helps.

Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas5.

Prick the skin of the goose all over with a fork. Season with salt and pepper. Lay some of the fat removed from the cavity over the thighs to keep them moist.

Cover with foil and place on a rack in the oven with a tray underneath so that you can empty out the fat regularly.

Roast a 4kg/9lb goose for three hours, a 4.5-5kg/10-11lb goose for three-and-a-half hours and a 5.5kg/12lb goose for four hours.

Remove the foil for 30-40 minutes before the end of the cooking time so that the skin can brown and crisp.

To test it is cooked, pierce the fattest part of the thigh with a skewer. If the juices run clear then the bird is done.
    sounds good...Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Well done dwighet.

Do not prick the skin of a wild goose.
    Wild geese have little or no fat, as do most wild birds. Because of this lack of natural basting liquid, some wild fowl tends to dry out while cooking.

Quick and easy Goose breast stuffed with black pudding.
    Starch and veg. of choice.
    Preheat oven to 180 °C, gas mark 4.

Fillet the breast.
    Slit the breast in half lenghthwise.
    Slice the black pudding and lay it in the cut.
    Wrap with a bit of fattish bacon and season with pepper and depending on how salty the bacon is, salt.
    Wrap eash breast in tin-foil
    Put tin-foil in a roasting pan or black iron skillet and into the oven at 180 °C for 30-35 min or so. Do not overcook.
    Pour a glass of good wine, a Barolo,Cabernet or Bordeaux or Whites from Alsace, Riesling, plus the dry whites of Germany and Austria .
    When time is up remove from oven and let the meat rest for 10-15 min.

Pour another glass.
    Unwrap and eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Nice goose, that's a Grey Lag, right?

I'd be interested in knowing what the laws are on shooting geese, I've often heard that it's restricted to parts of the country. But from my reading of the laws I've never been able to make it out properly, I thought it was just restricted by species. Haven't ever seen them around me much, but I'd love to know if I could take a shot if I got the chance ;)

EDIT: Seems like it's throughout the country in September! http://www.countrysideireland.com/info/seasons.htm
    There go my chances for this year I guess :P

spideog7 wrote: »
    Nice goose, that's a Grey Lag, right?

I'd be interested in knowing what the laws are on shooting geese, I've often heard that it's restricted to parts of the country. But from my reading of the laws I've never been able to make it out properly, I thought it was just restricted by species. Haven't ever seen them around me much, but I'd love to know if I could take a shot if I got the chance ;)

EDIT: Seems like it's throughout the country in September! http://www.countrysideireland.com/info/seasons.htm
    There go my chances for this year I guess :P
    graylag it was.... they were just passing here and I was in the right place at the right time... her are the seasons for ya...
    http://www.irishfieldsports.com/law.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭clivej

Dwighet thats a good link for the seasons and what/when you can shoot.

clivej wrote: »
    Dwighet thats a good link for the seasons and what/when you can shoot.
    aye it is....But at the end of the day it means ****e to the poachers!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭John Griffin

graylag it was.... they were just passing here and I was in the right place at the right time... her are the seasons for ya...
    http://www.irishfieldsports.com/law.htm

Don't rely on that link for the Open Seasons. Go to the offical Open Seasons order on the NPWS website.
    The Seasons change from time to time, on that link the deer seasons are all wrong and it could get you in a lot of trouble, perhaps a day out in court:eek::)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

jaffa20 wrote: »
    :eek: The poor bird. I'm sorry but i was so shocked when i saw this. I wouldn't eat geese.

Fair point jaffa, but thinking about it I would love to taste it! I guarantee you that bird had a nicer and more fulfilled life than that of a intensely farm reared chicken, goose, duck or quail! And... it would show in the taste. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Don't rely on that link for the Open Seasons. Go to the offical Open Seasons order on the NPWS website.
    Whereabouts on the NPWS site is that John?

I've found SI 346/2008 which is the order covering Muntjac, but nothing else leaps to my attention, I'm afraid.

Advertisement