Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Civil Service Interview - what to expect?

• 12-09-2008 11:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've got an interview lined up for next month. I'm in IT but will be moving into something completely different.

Since this is my first Civil Service interview, what should I expect? Are they quite structured? Is there normally an interview panel as such?

Thanks in advance! I REALLY want this job so any advice is much appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

What level is it for?

usually there's three people interviewing you (one of them takes notes). They generally tend to be very structured and they stick pretty rigidly to the format.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Just 'officer' level?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

Hi Glowing,
    Is this for the clerical officer comp that had an exam last month?

I had a co interview around 3 years ago and it wasnt too bad. A lot of give an example when you showed teamwork, or had to deal with a difficult client, those type of questions. I think its a panel of 2 or 3 people.

Thanks but its not - more along the techincal side of things.

Don't have to sit an exam either .... i'm hoping against all hope that I won't have to do a presentation, that alone will flunk it for me!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭spinaltap

Hi and well done on getting the interview, I am working for the civil service and remember the interview well.
    The way it usually works is that there will be 3 interviewing, 2 of them will be experts in there field and the other will be either a independent or someone from HR.
    I always tried getting some info on the background on the job I was going for and some history on it.
    Another tip is if they ask you a question about your present or past jobs, make sure you can talk about it for a few mins confidently.
    If I can help you in any way please feel free to PM me, best of luck mate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Have lots of examples for any samples they gave you. 10 examples per sample, all different, each sample 3 minutes long. Had a normal CO interview there a few weeks back. Man. So many questions. Didn't get it, though. Will find out why, in the next few weeks.

Thanks syco - though what do you mean by 'samples' in that context?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,304 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Glowing wrote: »
    Thanks syco - though what do you mean by 'samples' in that context?
    When I applied, they gave me a "what to expect" thing. Well, it was called a "
    [FONT=&quot]As a Clerical Officer in the Civil Service, you would be expected to deal in a friendly and helpful way with a variety of people. You would need to be able to manage your work in an organized way and, with all the change in the Civil Service today, it would be important to be open and flexible to new ways of doing things. There would be opportunities to your own initiative and work to a high standard in a modern Civil Service[/FONT]
    In the box, you'd provide your answer. During the interview, I was asked about the answer I gave. And for other examples. And more examples. And.... well, you get the drift. Now, it could be that me answers weren't good enough, but man, they kept asking for example after example, after example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 frantic franny

hi guys did any of you do the co aptitude test for dublin or provincial in august last. got my result - didnt make it - was wondering what the level was.

Advertisement