Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pollack Fishing

Options
  • 19-08-2008 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Just looking for a little help, im looking to catch some pollack and was wondering what i should use and does anyone know of any good spots in Dublin.
    I've heard people say black feathers but im not sure if this is correct.

Any information is appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Popanddrop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

Aha! As a Jack of all trades Master of none at least Pollock is one species I can give tips on! You can get Pollock on feathers of any color very easily, I got two nice sized ones on multi colored feathers the other day. When you're out for Mackerel you will get alot of Pollock. They love a lead head with a jelly worm or shad on it. You can get Pollock from any mark in Dublin.If you want a good catch or bigger fish. Go to Bulloch Harbour Dalkey and rent a fishing boat for €25 an hour, get there early on the weekend and you will get plenty of Pollack on feathers. From the shore you can get from either pier in Dun Laoighre, Around by the 40ft, Off the rocks in Bulloch, Coliemore Harbour or the best spot imo off the rocks past Colliemore. Plenty of the South Wall in Ringsend too. Im sure Malahide, Howth and other marks out that way would yield a good amount of pollock. I usually throw them back but if you get a big one the fillets are nice in a bit of batter,yum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 SandBerg

Pollock are largely daytime sight feeders. Yearlings eat microscopic crustaceans such as copepods. Adults feed on large pelagic crustaceans such as shrimp and small fish such as herring, sand lance, cod, haddock and hake. Juvenile pollock occasionally are seen chasing schools of smelt through estuaries in the fall. Unlike the more bottom dwelling cod, pollock will pursue schools of small fish at any depth, occasionally driving them to the surface of the water where frantic splashing can bee seen as the prey attempt to escape.

Pollock are aggressive, strong fighters that frequently strike at fast moving lures. Anglers pursue pollock from party boats, private boats or shoreline. Inshore fishing lasts from spring to very late fall, depending upon water temperatures, the presence of bait fish and the fortitude of the angler. The larger pollock tend to gather in deeper, more offshore waters, while younger fish ("harbor pollock") frequent areas of the shoreline. In deeper water, pollock are taken with the same tackle and rigs as those used for cod. A medium/heavy 7 to 9 foot "cod rod" and a 4/0 conventional reel spooled with 40 to 50 pound test Dacron line are commonly used by anglers. Lures are especially effective on pollock. A 10 to 20 ounce Norwegian type jig with a dropper/teaser tied about 3 feet above the jig is a particularly popular rigging. Attaching the teaser to a 2 way swivel by a split ring or bead chain helps make the action more effective and does not weaken the line as a dropper can. When fishing with this rig, allow it to settle to the bottom; then alternately retrieve a small amount of line, jig the lure, and allow it to flutter downward before repeating the sequence. Pollock most frequently strike during the flutter downward. While most pollock are caught on jigs and teasers, they are also taken with bait, such as clams with entrails hanging off the hook or 1 by 3 inch strips of fish.

In inshore areas, pollock are particularly active around breakwaters and other structures during moving tide. Early morning and evening produce the best results, but pollock can be caught throughout the day. Smaller inshore pollock are often pursued with lighter spinning outfits spooled with 12 to 15 pound test monofilament line. One quarter to 2 ounce lures such as streamers, lead heads, mackerel jigs, Kastmasters and small plugs that resemble sand eels all catch fish. A small strip of squid or other bait added to a metal lure can increase the angler's success.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

Had a 2 hook trace in the water in Dalkey yesterday,Had mackerel strips on as bait and some rubber muppets,I reeled in what I thought was a dog fish only to find two pollock one on each hook!

Advertisement