Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Thanks

Options
  • 24-08-2008 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭

I'm sure most people will agree that the "Thanks" button is pretty hand and most people use it well, but does anyone else think there's a need for a "No Thank's / Fail" button also. I was reading a particular thread and really felt it was needed, I've often felt the need for it in other threads also.

Not sure what you'd call the button but you get the idea.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

Great idea.

It could be called a "response" or "reply" button and maybe, after you press it, you could tailor what will appear after the post you disagree with, so you can show exactly why you don't think it merits thanks.

I think you've stumbled on something there.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

This has been suggested before and dismissed by Admins afair.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

No. Creates negativity and alienates users. Dangerous. Jigsaw would have gotten savaged. We cant have that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

No. Creates negativity and alienates users. Dangerous. Jigsaw would have gotten savaged. We cant have that.

Sometimes the negativity has already been created, take consumer issue's where people often give bad advice or any forum where people simply post "Fail"

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Gillo wrote: »
    Sometimes the negativity has already been created, take consumer issue's where people often give bad advice or any forum where people simply post "Fail"

If a negative response is garnered from a number of posts than they can be editted by mods as the need fits, or the original post can be deleted. Just clicking a button to register disagreement or failure is too easy.
    We should never make it easier to be discourteous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Repentant

Why not vBulletin reputation. or Karma?

Not.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

No thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Why not just abuse the person in-thread so the rest of us can opt out of all the hatin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Resorting to lolcatz in these situations is usually enough to tell off a poster ... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

No. It would only end up being abused. For instance the other thread on feedback regarding grammar correction. People using it to get one up on another poster making them look like crap.

I think you can agree with someone without saying why, it's rather obvious that you share that opinion. But when disagreeing with someone you normally have to produce a contrary arguement and put your point across. Its not enough to say fail.

Therefore a post would be a necessity either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

I think thank you should be abolished and replaced with a vBulletin reputation system.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

hmmm, how many of these threads will it take before a sticky?

Thanks is good, it's nice, it makes people feel good. Why would you possibly want the opposite of that? - unless you wanted to make someone feel bad... that's not the boards way.

Anyway I don't like the idea of having a "no thanks" button as it could be used to intimidate a poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

No to 'No thanks'.
    But yes to a nothanks button to indicate that the poster is not Tom Hanks

• Registered Users Posts: 81,694 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Trinity1 wrote: »
    No. It would only end up being abused. For instance the other thread on feedback regarding grammar correction. People using it to get one up on another poster making them look like crap.

I think you can agree with someone without saying why, it's rather obvious that you share that opinion. But when disagreeing with someone you normally have to produce a contrary arguement and put your point across. Its not enough to say fail.

Therefore a post would be a necessity either way.
    This.

I mean OP if you had started up this thread, and every response was "No." you'd demand a Why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

ethernet wrote: »
    Resorting to lolcatz in these situations is usually enough to tell off a poster ... ;)

I miss those little guys :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

no, i do not agree

Ive explained in more detail why.. here and here

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I am for the KARoMA system.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

infractions for all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Epic Tissue

+1/-1 would be cool in my opinion! Like digg.com but if a post had a lot of "-1" votes it wouldn't get buried but you could see it and not bother opening it. Like the star rating system only better. Also you could see which topics are the most controversial etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Now there's a thanker..

(pronounced with a silent 'th')
    (and another impediment that makes 'a' sound li..

nevermind.

Advertisement