Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signal Booster + Indoor Repeaters **Mini Merge**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭bg

bg wrote: »
    looking at tis item on ebay
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/GSM-900-MHz-Mobile-Phone-Signals-Booster-Repeater-40-dB_W0QQitemZ370062026612QQihZ024QQcategoryZ68030QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

from hong kong looks like it would fix all my problems. I have good reception outside the house but practically none indoors.. very frustrating.

Anybody any experience with the like? is it a waste of money ??

Cheers Barry.

Anyone????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

Looks the part.. If you do buy and it's successful I'd say a lot of people would be interested in it..:D
    edit Just googled the manufacturer and it looks genuine more info here

http://qixiang.manufacturer.globalsources.com/si/6008807602100/pdtl/Wireless-repeater/1002660315/GSM-Cell-Phone-Repeater.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Just bear in mind that it is illegal for you to broadcast the mobile operators licensed frequencies. That is what you would effectively be doing by powering up this device.
    If you do not set this up correctly or the unit goes faulty it will cause interference problems on the cell (or cells) that the unit repeats. This will materialise in the network operator's statistics. You will be liable to prosecution then. You would be surprised how easy it is to detect a source of interference.

These units repeat the entire 900GSM (or 1800 or UMTS if unit is an 1800/UMTS device) spectrum. It will "boost" all networks. It will work if the antennas are positioned correctly, you use the right cable, etc. However it is cheap for a reason, the chances of the unit going faulty are high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭bg

Just bear in mind that it is illegal for you to broadcast the mobile operators licensed frequencies. That is what you would effectively be doing by powering up this device.
    If you do not set this up correctly or the unit goes faulty it will cause interference problems on the cell (or cells) that the unit repeats. This will materialise in the network operator's statistics. You will be liable to prosecution then. You would be surprised how easy it is to detect a source of interference.

These units repeat the entire 900GSM (or 1800 or UMTS if unit is an 1800/UMTS device) spectrum. It will "boost" all networks. It will work if the antennas are positioned correctly, you use the right cable, etc. However it is cheap for a reason, the chances of the unit going faulty are high.

Hmmm thanks for the info , not sure what to do now, if i get it i will update here,, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭KhanTheMan

The mobile signal is great outside my house but non existant inside (very thick walls.) Does anybody know if theres any gadget that will boost this signal inside the house that will work with Irish networks.

Here is an American one.

http://review.zdnet.com/cell-phone-and-smart/wi-ex-zboost-yx510/4505-6448_16-32156398.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Loads of them available on ebay they cost around €100-€150 inc. shipping

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭KhanTheMan

Do-more wrote: »
    Loads of them available on ebay they cost around €100-€150 inc. shipping

Thanks, i was looking there. I must check out some reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 willbee

Any update on this thread??
    I've the same problem

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

willbee wrote: »
    Any update on this thread??
    I've the same problem

the simplest thing would be to change networks.....these things can cause problems for other users around you.....

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Skillie

anybody done this? I live in teh middle of nowhere, nearest neighbours halfa mile one side and a mile the other side. i have poor reception due to being in a forrest effectively. get signal in the attic and parts of the upstairs of the house. virtually none downstairs.

i want to buy something that will just boost and repeat the mobile signal within my house.

Is this possible? has anyone successfully done this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Skillie wrote: »
    i have poor reception due to being in a forrest effectively. get signal in the attic and parts of the upstairs of the house. virtually none downstairs.
    Do you live neaar Dublin by any chance? There's a place on the quays in Dublin that do all that sort of stuff. Suppose you could try ringing them on +353 1 8722752 or check out http://www.cqcomms.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 finishedart

http://cgi.ebay.ie/GSM-900-MHz-Mobile-Phone-Signals-Booster-Repeater-40-dB_W0QQitemZ370062026612QQihZ024QQcategoryZ68030QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

from hong kong looks like it would fix all my problems. I have good reception outside the house but practically none indoors.. very frustrating.

Cheers Barry.

My new groundfloor apartment has that problem. Absolutely no signal when you are more than two feet from the window. We have to go outside or hang out the wndow. Frustrating. :eek:

the_syco wrote: »
    Do you live neaar Dublin by any chance? There's a place on the quays in Dublin that do all that sort of stuff. Suppose you could try ringing them on +353 1 8722752 or check out http://www.cqcomms.com

i don't live near dublin i'm in cork but will have a look at their website anyway. cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭CivilEx

OP, there might be another option for you to consider which came up over on the Vodafone Forums a couple of times lately. Some posters have enquired about a femtocell unit, which Vodafone UK have started selling and will probably appear here for operators before too much longer...

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭sean72

KhanTheMan wrote: »
    Thanks, i was looking there. I must check out some reviews.

Did you have any luck. I'm looking into this also but cant find any reviews. Did you buy one and if so did it work?

Cheers Barry.

Just wondering if you ever went a head with this? And if so did the repeater work?

Hi I've seen a number of posts enquiring about the use of GSM mobile phone signal boosters, however no one seems to have undated the forum on if these systems work. e.g. this one

I have a very weak indoor signal (one bar). It goes up to 3 bars in the loft and I was thinking of buying a repeater to boost the signal around my home.

Has anyone reading used/tried one of these systems in their home? How was your experience.

Before someone points it out...I know that if there is no signal there is no boost!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭FergalBoards.ie

In terms of signal boosting they work really well.

However we were still caught out by the massive interference in the area.

This may have been why none of the networks bothered providing for the area.

When it was clear, it was crystal clear, but we were caught between two sources of interference and couldn't null out with an antenna.

Also the cell we were aiming at was pretty congested anyway, so we got a lot of network busy responses. Probably because it was the only cell in a large-ish area and we all tended to phone around 5.30pm.

On the whole it worked, but didn't help...lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Three threads merged into one. Thanks

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Random wrote: »
    Three threads merged into one. Thanks
    lol at the mega merge thread having only twenty posts :P

• Advertisement

Well this is a wierd one. I received my gsm 900mhz signal booster and set it up. It all looked well. I had 3-4 bars of reception on my iphone and 4-5 on my blackberry. Wonderful I thought, so I closed the loft and sat down to enjoy my new quality calls.

But regardless what I do with both my phones, I cant get them to make or receive a call. I cant even send an sms even with a those bars. The o2.ie icon also appears on my iphone.

Anyone any ideas???????? Could there be internal interferance???? I have the ariel and the gsm booster box in the loft, they are a good 20 metres apart. The indoor ariel comes through the ceiling into the living room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭FergalBoards.ie

I didn't have that problem, BUT...

From the FAQ of the unit that I used:

"Q: We cannot call even though the mobile phone signal is good.
    A: Usually this means that either the up-converter power is not enough or the open antenna isn't aimed at the telecom bureau. Either adjust the antenna directionality or get a higher power amplifier"

So I guess that means that receiving is easier than transmitting and although your getting the incoming O2 signal, O2 ain't getting your signal.

Try repositioning the antenna and fiddling around with the gain controls.

Counterintuitively, also try turning DOWN, as well as up, the gain....it's possibly you are amplifying interference more than your phone signal and O2 can't figure out what the heck it's receiving.

I'd be very interested to know how you get on.

Best of luck!

I didn't have that problem, BUT...

From the FAQ of the unit that I used:

"Q: We cannot call even though the mobile phone signal is good.
    A: Usually this means that either the up-converter power is not enough or the open antenna isn't aimed at the telecom bureau. Either adjust the antenna directionality or get a higher power amplifier"

So I guess that means that receiving is easier than transmitting and although your getting the incoming O2 signal, O2 ain't getting your signal.

Try repositioning the antenna and fiddling around with the gain controls.

Counterintuitively, also try turning DOWN, as well as up, the gain....it's possibly you are amplifying interference more than your phone signal and O2 can't figure out what the heck it's receiving.

I'd be very interested to know how you get on.

Best of luck!

Thanks a million

I will try some ariel adjustments (maybe not today weather wise if I decide to go outside with it). I was just wondering if having the ariel and booster box in the loft together would give me the problems I'm encountering. ? Interferance??

It's a real shame it looked like it was the answer to my prayers.

I will let you how I get on!

well I changed the setup and now the signal seems OK but the indoor ariels range seems hampered by something if I hold up my phone to the ariel itself (inches away) I get 3-4 bars but as soon as I bring it away the signal drops to the usual levels (0-1).

Setup now is:

1. Ariel in the peek of the loft
    2. repeater on top of the kitchen cupboards
    3. indoor ariel back up through the ceiling and into the living room
    I think this thing could work if I could get it right

The indoor and outdoor ariel cables do touch as they pass through the ceiling. Would this affect things?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nigel900

i suggest you put that ariel outside the house, that exterior ariel needs to be in an area of at least 2 bars upwards..
    plus your prob only using a 40db unit you need min 60db its a strong unit.. i have supplied and fitted nearly 100 of these units and all have worked except 3 so the do really work..if you have no signal outdoors it wont work..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Anybody know of any good ones of these available?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

A directional external antenna pointed at the Cell site would also be better. It would simply make your phone look as though it was closer to the cell than it actually is and would significantly reduce any potential interference.

have bought mine from this crowd.

http://gsmboostersireland.com/index.html

works very well, have the antenna in the attic need to get it outside ideally and the repeater on the landing. doesn't cover the whole house but it is a big house. all the upstairs is perfect and part of downstairs but we're a million percent better than before

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

A directional external antenna pointed at the Cell site would also be better. It would simply make your phone look as though it was closer to the cell than it actually is and would significantly reduce any potential interference.

This would actually significantly increase interference.

What's happens when you do that is, not only are you repeating the networks "licenced" freq illegally but duplicating the LAC (location) and CID (Cell) information to the MSC (switch), this confuses the network causing more.problems for other customers. Dropped calls, crossed lines etc.

It's people who use these make genuine customers unhappy.

If your coverage is rubbish go to another network. Simples!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭ianblyth

vodafone already offer the femtocell unit in ireland it was on the site a month or 2 ago.. can't see it now.. but it should be there somewhere still.. might take a bit of digging

Advertisement