Jobs that don't involve the public? - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-08-2008, 22:24   #1
Karsini
Abort, Retry, Fail?

Send a message via Skype™ to Karsini
Jobs that don't involve the public?

Hi, I'm just looking for some ideas here. I'm out of work at the moment and have been trying to see where to go from here. I left an IT related job for several reasons (not all work related mind you) but one of the big ones was that I take criticism very harshly. My main area of criticism was with my dealings with the public. Some saw me as shy, withdrawn or disinterested and I did hear about it from management at times. I know I've mentioned this on other fora but I'm mildly autistic so dealing with the public was never going to be a walk in the park for me.

So my question is, what sort of work out there doesn't involve interaction with the general public? I think I'd find such work much more bearable.
Advertisement
12-08-2008, 22:29   #2
Wishbone Ash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karsini View Post
what sort of work out there doesn't involve interaction with the general public?
You'd need to narrow it down a bit or you'll be getting answers like lighthousekeeper, astronaut etc.
12-08-2008, 22:31   #3
Karsini
Abort, Retry, Fail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbone Ash View Post
You'd need to narrow it down a bit or you'll be getting answers like lighthousekeeper, astronaut etc.
lol, well I'm not really sure myself, hence why I asked!

While i'm ok-ish at dealing with the public I feel really uncomfortable with it, so even if I am getting better it doesn't feel that way to me.
13-08-2008, 08:08   #4
needhelpguy

I share your dread. Look for a back office job somewhere. You wont have to deal with the public there.
13-08-2008, 09:51   #5
AARRRGH
Banned

Surely IT is perfect if you don't like the public?

I work in an IT company and quite a lot of my colleagues don't like humans...

Surely there is an IT area which would suit you?
Advertisement
13-08-2008, 09:57   #6
seamus
Dental Plan!

Send a message via MSN to seamus
When you say, "dealing with the public", do you mean that you don't enjoy dealing with random questions from the general public/customers, or do you have problems in general having to deal with people, even if it's people internally in a company?

The former is easy enough to avoid - get a job working internally in some company.

The latter is harder to avoid - most jobs require you to interact with other departments/other people.
13-08-2008, 11:29   #7
Karsini
Abort, Retry, Fail?

Not really with people in general, over time I can get to know the people I'm working with. My issue is with customers, serving them, phoning them, that sort of thing. I'm just not good with anyone I don't know. My last job, while it was a technical role, also required me to serve customers when the others were busy, I hated that part of it.

I have a couple of goals and ambitions but they're out of my reach at the moment so I need something to get me by until my goals are within my reach.
13-08-2008, 11:35   #8
Saruman

Street cleaner... you are surrounded by the public but they ignore your existence.
13-08-2008, 11:40   #9
seamus
Dental Plan!

Send a message via MSN to seamus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karsini View Post
Not really with people in general, over time I can get to know the people I'm working with. My issue is with customers, serving them, phoning them, that sort of thing. I'm just not good with anyone I don't know. My last job, while it was a technical role, also required me to serve customers when the others were busy, I hated that part of it.

I have a couple of goals and ambitions but they're out of my reach at the moment so I need something to get me by until my goals are within my reach.
What I meant was, would you have a problem doing an internal role in a medium-large company, where your "customers" are other employees of the company (not just other people in your department)?
Advertisement
13-08-2008, 11:53   #10
MrVestek

Quote:
Originally Posted by AARRRGH View Post

Surely there is an IT area which would suit you?
Erm... unless you're working in a very dark server room that barely needs any maintanence you'll be working with people at some point...
13-08-2008, 11:57   #11
AARRRGH
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
Erm... unless you're working in a very dark server room that barely needs any maintanence you'll be working with people at some point...
Yeah but you don't really do much talking and it's acceptable for IT people to be a bit weird/have no social skills.

Last edited by AARRRGH; 13-08-2008 at 12:56. Reason: typo
13-08-2008, 11:57   #12
Alun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
Reminds me of this for some reason

13-08-2008, 12:00   #13
Saruman

PC repair tech (inhouse). You usually do not have to deal with the customers, you just get a PC from the front desk, fix it, drop it to desk and the person on the front desk deals with the customer and takes their money
13-08-2008, 12:19   #14
Eoin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AARRRGH View Post

Was just about to say "same here" before I realised it was your good self!
Thanks from:
13-08-2008, 13:22   #15
Karsini
Abort, Retry, Fail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saruman View Post
PC repair tech (inhouse). You usually do not have to deal with the customers, you just get a PC from the front desk, fix it, drop it to desk and the person on the front desk deals with the customer and takes their money
Not in my last job! Had to take it in from the front desk, analyse the problem, call back the customer, fix it, call them back again, then when they arrived I had to bring it out to them, take the money, print out a fault report and receipt.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion