Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow Arms

Options
  • 16-07-2008 9:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Has the Wicklow Arms closed????
    Went up there last night for the Tuesday pub quiz (which i was at 2wks ago!) to find the place shut down.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

think so. Tuesday quiz now being run in woodlands.(script)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Dmckeown

Thanks Dr Ro!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭wingding

As far as I know they closed the weekend before last. Staff got a phonecall one evening to say not to come in the next day.

I heard this from someone who was told by someone:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

You'll see a lot more of this around over the next while, pubs closing down... unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Joliegood

wingding wrote: »
    . Staff got a phonecall one evening to say not to come in the next day.

I heard this from someone who was told by someone:P
    I heard that they didn't even get this 'courtesy'. Just showed up for work and it was shut.........

The place was a goldmine when the Spendloves had it. Always packed. Food was fab and the staff were very polite. And no nonsense such as having horse racing on the tele all day just because some of the staff want to watch it. Yes, I am referring to another local establishment ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 boc

I got some food there a while back, it was so bad it was actually funny. What happen to make it go downhill?

boc wrote: »
    I got some food there a while back, it was so bad it was actually funny. What happen to make it go downhill?
    Changed hands. The Byrnes bought it, gutted the inside of it and then 'did it up'. The menu became very bland IMO. In the end they ended up leasing it out to someone else. The last time I was in there at lunchtime was a few months ago. For a place doing food at that time and not have one single menu on any of the tables says a lot really. The old Arms had a really bizzare pricing structure, for example Gammon steaks at £5.43, soup at £2.81 etc. It had a much better atmosphere too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 boc

Joliegood wrote: »
    Changed hands. The Byrnes bought it, gutted the inside of it and then 'did it up'. The menu became very bland IMO. In the end they ended up leasing it out to someone else. The last time I was in there at lunchtime was a few months ago. For a place doing food at that time and not have one single menu on any of the tables says a lot really. The old Arms had a really bizzare pricing structure, for example Gammon steaks at £5.43, soup at £2.81 etc. It had a much better atmosphere too.

its sad to see a place like it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,808 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

it used to be fairly bizarre that Delgany had the same amount of pubs as greystones. now with the arms and the inn both closed only the horse is left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Is it odd that when I saw this thread title I thought it was some kind of medical condition?

• Advertisement

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Is it odd that when I saw this thread title I thought it was some kind of medical condition?
    Some of the punters that drank in the Inn in recent years looked like they had medical conditions :D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Clodagh84

Joliegood wrote: »
    Some of the punters that drank in the Inn in recent years looked like they had medical conditions :D:D:D:D:D

They DID.....:D:D:D:D

Advertisement