Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

05-07-2008, 19:09   #1
January

Send a message via AIM to January Send a message via MSN to January Send a message via Yahoo to January
Creche Prices

Hi all,
Am currently 4 months pregnant with my first child.

I have a partner who works full time and to be able to live I will have to go back to work full time after I have baby!

So, my worry is I will be working just to pay creche fees and what is the point in that?

Can anyone tell me how much their creche fee's are and what is the average??

I'd preferably want it near where I am living, or in the city centre of Dublin where I work. (I currently live in Ballymun/Santry (on the border lol) but am looking to move closer to Mammy and Daddy in Blanchardstown when the lease is up at the end of September.

Thanks,
Adrieanne
Advertisement
05-07-2008, 19:17   #2
LolaDub

Congratulations!!!

Sadly if you're near minimum wage you'll end up just working to pay creche fees, they are absolutely insane. I wanted to return full time but my local creche is 1200 a month, there is another for 1020 but it closes at 5.30 so i wouldn't have enough time to leave work to collect baby for that. I'm on the southside. I went back to work part time and have a 2 day babysitter and my mother looks after baby for one day. You should really look into what people around you can do /babysitters/au pairs or even sharing a sitter with another family or something. Good luck!
06-07-2008, 02:06   #3
RealistSpy

Am a student with a kid am currently paying 1000 a month I know expensive but I am hoping to get into a community crech I they are well cheaper.
06-07-2008, 19:06   #4
shrapnel222

ours is around 900 a month
06-07-2008, 22:20   #5
marti101

Send a message via Skype™ to marti101
How can people afford creche fees they are insane.Im due back at work next month but i would rather work parttime and dp minds baby.If i go back to work full time i would be working to pay creche fees so i might as well go part time and still have same money.But im trying to talk nice and not go back to work untill ds hits about 2.heres hoping.Whats the most expensive and whats the cheapest.
Advertisement
07-07-2008, 13:36   #6
Julietta

I guess the answer depends on your salary i.e. I pay €900 per month (west Dublin) for my son's creche but I have a pretty decent salary so I would not be working just to pay the creche. If I found myself in that situation, I would stop working or consider part time work & part time child care....although in a lot of cases, the difference between full & part time care is not as much as you might think.

I know it's stating the obvious but shop around a good bit before you decide, I think the larger chain creches are more expensive so perhaps a small, privately run creche would be less expensive? I know the costs are appalling but when the time comes to go back to work, you will pay anything for the peace of mind of knowing your child is well looked after

Congratulations,

Julietta
Thanks from:
07-07-2008, 14:04   #7
LolaDub

Quote:
Originally Posted by marti101 View Post
How can people afford creche fees they are insane.Im due back at work next month but i would rather work parttime and dp minds baby.If i go back to work full time i would be working to pay creche fees so i might as well go part time and still have same money.But im trying to talk nice and not go back to work untill ds hits about 2.heres hoping.Whats the most expensive and whats the cheapest.
Thats the boat i'm in, complete poverty if i had to pay creche fees so i work part time as per above. The local creches part time fees are 980 per month for 9-1 mon-fri which i think is even more insane than the 1200 full time. Creche prices are crazy, but whats really crazy is how sub standard most of them are.

Does anyone remember the creche review last year or year before? I think there was about 4% of creches out of 400 creches that actually passed the standards for creches. If i was paying out that money each month i would expect the best of care for my child, its worrying that some creches aren't providing quality care.
07-07-2008, 14:09   #8
NinjaTruncs

Are Creche costs tax deductible?
07-07-2008, 14:45   #9
MoominPapa

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaTruncs View Post
Are Creche costs tax deductible?
Fraid not
Advertisement
08-07-2008, 21:29   #10
Loopy

Our fee's are €1300 a month (for 2)...

Congratulations and good luck with it
09-07-2008, 09:52   #11
Wook

Send a message via ICQ to Wook
depressing country for creche and childcare.
09-07-2008, 12:44   #12
LolaDub

Where are you all living? There is probably huge variation depending on area. As i said my local is 1200 full time or 980 part time 9-1 and i'm in templeogue.
10-07-2008, 11:22   #13
caterpillargirl

Creches should be tax deductible
It's a complete joke.
We should get a lobby together or something, it is so disempowering for women (because it's usually the women who face the work/stay at home choice)
I know tonnes of highly educated girls who HAVE to give up their jobs after the 2nd child because it is too expensive.

Lets do something, next time politicians come knocking on your door....or before!@!
10-07-2008, 19:20   #14
January

Send a message via AIM to January Send a message via MSN to January Send a message via Yahoo to January
LolaDub,
Santry atm, but looking at Blanchardstown or Finglas soon as wanna be near either my mammy or his mammy!
10-07-2008, 20:51   #15
babyboom

Would you consider a child minder in your local area instead. I'm at home with 3 kids and lots of my neighbours have asked me to mind kids for them when they went back to work. It doesn't suit me at the moment due to problems with my 2 younger kids but I know our local supermarket always has local mums advertising to look after children. It would be a lot cheaper, the child gets looked after in an environment similar to your own home, you can build up a good relationship with the childminder and you know your child will get one-to-one attention.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion