Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mpeg4 tuner ?

Options
  • 30-05-2008 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭

Looking at getting an LCD TV and wondering is there any point in getting one with a digital tuner that supports mpeg4 or would that just be a waste of money ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,426 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

rtenl.ie and bci have both stated that mpeg4 is the standard being adopted so that should be fine (open to correction), mpeg2 would be useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 e17

Mpeg 4 is the way to go. Mpeg2 will be useless in a few months. but there are not that many sets yet. Sony do a big plasma with mpeg 4

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

There will soon be TVs with Freesat built in, and MPEG4, and DTT. No set top boxes.
    All we need is for BCI to decide the standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

So the MPEG2 digital tuner in my brand new Sony 40W4000 is useless for Irish DTT?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

No quite. The digital tuner will work, the MPEG2 bit might be useless, but the set has a CI slot into which a CAM module can be plugged. They should be able to provide a suitable unit that will provide MPEG4 decompression.

I hope so as I have a simmilar Sony TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭maxg

slegs wrote: »
    So the MPEG2 digital tuner in my brand new Sony 40W4000 is useless for Irish DTT?

Your Sony W4000 got already an mpeg4 decoder.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The MPEG4 convertor modules poorer than native MPEG4 and can't do HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There will soon be TVs with Freesat built in, and MPEG4, and DTT. No set top boxes.
    All we need is for BCI to decide the standards.

They & Comtreg did decide:
    DVB-t, MPEG2-TS, MPEG4 video and MHEG5 middleware/Interactive

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭mburke

Sleggs,

What do you think of your Sony, how does it handle quick moving screens like sports ?

The picture is great. The one I have is the KDL40s3000. It does not support MPEG4, which is a must, now we are going with it. It does not like some titles in old films where tiny writing is moving slowly up the screen. Apart from that, I have no complaints.

Buying a new one? I would wait for one that includes FreeSat, and MPEG4 built in, which will (may) become available before the end of the year. FreeSat includes BBCHD and ITVHD so MPEG4 will be included in a TV that is HD.

• Advertisement

The s3000 series is already outdated.
    The current Sony series have an mpeg4 decoder on board.

I know, and I am not particularly happy as I only bought it recently. I was not able to find out as the stores that sell TVs have people who know little about the products aprt from the size and the price. They did not even know there was a DTT service (test).

mburke wrote: »
    Sleggs,

What do you think of your Sony, how does it handle quick moving screens like sports ?

Hasnt arrived yet...have ordered from Komplett.ie (very good price btw 1311eur) but there seems to be a bit of a backlog (hoping to get before Friday so I can watch Euro 2008 on BBC freesat in HD). Reviews on AVforums, HDTVtest and WhatHifi S&V all very positive though.

Noticed on the sony website that it says the Digital Terrestrial tuner for the new kdl-40w4000 is mpeg 2.

http://www.sony.ie/view/ShowProduct.action?product=KDL-40W4000&site=odw_en_IE&imageType=Main&category=TVP+32-40+Sony+BRAVIA+TV#pageType=TechnicalSpecs

But in France .......

http://www.sony.fr/view/ShowProduct.action?product=KDL-40W4000&site=odw_fr_FR&imageType=Main&category=TVP+32-40+Sony+BRAVIA+TV#pageType=TechnicalSpecs

Ooh ... c'est avec MPEG4 .....

I am despairing of knowing what is going on.

Are they the same TV or not?

And in Germany too ......

http://www.sony.de/view/ShowProduct.action?product=KDL-40W4000&site=odw_de_DE&imageType=Main&category=TVP+32-40+Sony+BRAVIA+TV#pageType=TechnicalSpecs

But not in Ireland or the UK ... according to the websites. But they may be in there but not mentioned.

The tech specs at sony europe is what count.
    Sony doesn't produce lcd's for special countries in europe.
    Sony ie/uk doesn't mention HD tuner the marketing hype for mpeg4 decoder because the thing is not compatible with the planed HD via uk freeview.

slegs wrote: »
    Hasnt arrived yet...have ordered from Komplett.ie (very good price btw 1311eur) but there seems to be a bit of a backlog (hoping to get before Friday so I can watch Euro 2008 on BBC freesat in HD). Reviews on AVforums, HDTVtest and WhatHifi S&V all very positive though.

Cancelled my order at Komplett as it was going to be another 2 week wait. Have now ordered at uk site 1staudiovisual.co.uk for much the same price. It will ship tomorrow...hopeful it will be here on Friday for Euro 2008. ITV HD launching on Freesat on Saturday for their first match.

what did the shipping costs come to ?

Price in store was 992GBP + 89GBP for shipping (< 1400 which was the Komplett total anyway). I can update when i receive on speed/quality of shipping etc if you like.

• Advertisement

Slegs did the tv arrive ? if so what are your thoughts ?
    Any good with fast moving images (sports) ?

Arrived Friday early am (Tuesday 4 om order). Really impressed with this TV. Using a Humax freesat HD box for BBC HD the picture is amazing. SD on the freesat box is much better than I had expected. ITV had the Portugal match last night as their first Hd broadcast. Watching the hurling this am from a sky box thru scart there is no motion issues.

Trying to get my DTT reception from Mt Leinster in place (to bring some forum relevance!). See other thread..any help would be appreciated.

All in all this TV is great value at 1400 eur shipped to your door considering the 40W3000 predecessor is on sale in some stores in Ireland for 2500 - 3000 eur

Assume it has the mpeg4 digital tuner onboard as per european spec ? and that the stand was included.

Stand included...havnt checked MPEG4 decoder yet but I assume so as they only make one European model afaik

Slegs,

Overall how would you rate the LCD and the service from audiovisual ?

http://www.1staudiovisual.co.uk/catalog/index.php

Has anyone else used these guys and how would you rate the service ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,520 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Following on from my previous post I placed an order for the new Sony Bravia 26" LCD-TV KDL-26V4500 on 20th May, it was shipped Mon 9th Jun and arrived by courier on Thur 12th Jun.

First off the TV arrived without an english language manual and was fitted with an European standard 2-pin power cord as the TV was shipped from Holland or Belgium or Germany depending on who you spoke to in Komplett customer support. Following a number of calls and e-mails the power lead was sorted but they said they could not source an english language manual, they even asked me to contact Sony Ireland for a manual. I eventually found a downloadable copy on the internet.

Next the specs of the TV are as follows
    TV System
    Analogue: Depending on your country/region selection: B/G/H, D/K, L, I
    Digital: DVB-T/DVB-C

Colour/Video System
    Analogue: PAL, SECAM, NTSC 3.58, 4.43 (only Video in)
    Digital: MPEG-2 MP@ML/HL, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC HP@L4.0, MP@L3.0

Channel Coverage
    Analogue: VHF E2-E12, UHF E21-E69, CATV S1-S20, HYPER S21-S41, I UHFB21-B69
    Digital: VHF/UHF

I am unable to checkout the digital part of the TV yet as my local transmitter - Mullaghanish - hasn't started digital broadcasts.
    The Minimum Receiver Requirements for DTT in Ireland v1.0 requires receiving equipment to have the following minimum specs
    MPEG-2 Decoder (Standard Definition)
    Standard Definition: 720x576
    Main Profile @ Main level (MP@ML)

MPEG-4 Decoder (Standard Definition)
    Standard Definition: 720x576
    Main Profile @ L3.0 (MP@L3.0)

MPEG-4 Decoder (High Definition)
    High Definition (HD): 1920x1080 (1080i), 1440x1080, 1280x720 (720p)
    High Profile @ L4.0 (HP@L4.0)
    Having compared the specs I'm confident the TV will be suitable for the Irish DTT system be it MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 or a combination of both.

The manual for this TV also covers the following Sony TV models (therefore the specs are also applicable)
    KDL-52W40xx, KDL-52W42xx,
    KDL-46W40xx, KDL-46W42xx,
    KDL-40W40xx, KDL-40W42xx
    KDL-32W40xx, KDL-32W42xx
    KDL-40E40xx, KDL-32E40xx, KDL-26E40xx
    KDL-37V45xx, KDL-37V47xx
    KDL-32V45xx, KDL-32V47xx
    KDL-26V45xx, KDL-26V45xx

This TV is also compatible with the following DTT broadcasters
    Freeview (UK)
    TNT / TNT HD (France)
    DVB-T: Das ÜberallFernsehen (Germany)
    Televisión Digital Terrestre (Spain)
    Boxer (Sweden)
    "Umí dobře česky" (Czech Republic)
    EPT (Greece)
    Digitenne (Holland)
    RiksTV (Norway)

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

"Digital: MPEG-2 MP@ML/HL, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC HP@L4.0, MP@L3.0"

HP@L4.0 is HDTV , 720p or 1080i standards ( 720p will be the broadcast standard with a little 1080i until it has been phased out)

MP@L3.0 is SDTV only. No HD channels can ever be received without a new STB.

The UK-PSB-3 HD DTT-MUX cannot ever be received as it will require a DVB-T2 receiver - not yet cast in silicon.

The UK-PSB-3 will come to Caldbeck and Wales in early 2010 and to NI with DSO in 2012. Ofcom is, however, searching for free channels to broadcast PSB-3 HD before DSO in 2012. (London - with DSO in 2012 - may get it in 2010 . In NI - who knows.)

Lars :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,520 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

reslfj wrote: »
    HP@L4.0 is HDTV , 720p or 1080i standards ( 720p will be the broadcast standard with a little 1080i until it has been phased out)

The spec for the Sony tv above includes H.264/MPEG-4 AVC HP@L4.0 for HD, H.264/MPEG-4 AVC HP@L3.0 for SD and MPEG-2 MP@ML also for SD (this complies with the Irish DTT minimum standard - see below).
    This tv has an integrated DVB-T MPEG-2 SD and MPEG-4 SD & HD tuner/decoder and is currently available in France for its DTT service TNT (MPEG-2 SD & MPEG-4 SD) & TNT HD (MPEG-4 HD).
    from the sony.fr website
    Regardez les chaînes Haute Définition terrestres et par satellite grâce au tuner TNT HD (MPEG-4) intégré (reçoit également les chaînes analogiques).
    Regardez la TV numérique grâce au tuner TNT ayant une définition standard intégrée (MPEG-2, analogique également pris en charge).
    Le Tuner TVHD de Sony est conforme aux normes de diffusion HD DVB-T et DVB-C, actuellement en vigueur dans plusieurs pays européens Veuillez consulter votre fournisseur pour obtenir des informations sur la réglementation de diffusion de votre pays.

Yes, as I posted above MP@L3.0 is SDTV only.
    But this tv also has HP@L4.0 integrated for HDTV, it will be used in France for its future (30th Oct) TNT HD FTA DTT service and is also a requirement of the Irish DTT minimum standard (see below) so no extra STB should be required unless the Irish standard is changed from DVB-T MPEG-4 to DVB-T2 MPEG-4 for future Irish DTT HDTV multiplexes.
    DVB-T2 is not a current standard and is not part of the Irish DTT HD minimum standard, it is the future standard for DTT HD broadcastng in the UK and yes, no UK HD channels can ever be received without a new STB.
    The UK-PSB-3 HD DTT-MUX cannot ever be received as it will require a DVB-T2 receiver - not yet cast in silicon.
    As I live in Limerick I will never be able to receive the UK-PSB-3 HD DTT-MUX and so will never require DVB-T2 receiver unless Ireland decides in the distant future to change its HD standard (and possibly its SD standard) to DVB-T2.
    As we are about to launch a DVB-T DTT SD service in the near future the chances of a change of standard to DVB-T2 HD before analogue switch-off (2012) IMO is zero (the general public would not be happy to throw out their relatively new DVB-T receivers for DVB-T2 receivers).
    As I see it, as part of the Irish "Digital Dividend" following analogue switch-off/switchover (2012 or later) Ireland will allocate two multiplexes for HD broadcasting using the then established DVB-T2 MPEG-4 standard, DVB-T2 should by then be integrated into TVs and other receivers as standard with the DTT HD multiplex up and running in the UK .

The Minimum Receiver Requirements for DTT in Ireland v1.0 requires receiving equipment to have
    MPEG-4 Decoder (High Definition)
    High Definition (HD): 1920x1080 (1080i), 1440x1080, 1280x720 (720p)
    High Profile @ L4.0 (HP@L4.0).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Link to Sony manual here: http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/3298243111.pdf

See page 33 for specs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement