Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Article & Vid: BMW GINA concept ditches sheet metal

Options
  • 10-06-2008 9:53pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.channel4.com/4car/news/news-story.jsp?news_id=17624
    BMW GINA concept ditches sheet metal
    BMW has created a dramatic concept that trades a sheet metal skin for fabric.

Called GINA, the concept has been designed by BMW to exploit a new space-age lightweight fabric material that not only consumes less energy in its production, but can mould and change shape, adapting to its surroundings.

At speed, for example, the fabric offers many benefits over the conventional steel or aluminium alternative and could mean a sleek, slippery car could 'grow' a spoiler for better stability at speed.

Built upon the now defunct BMW Z8 the GINA's fabric waterproof skin also allows the BMW to 'blink', revealing its headlights.
    At the very least the fabric construction could be used for low-priced city vehicles and could mean that instead of interchangeable coloured panels, cars in the future could have interchangeable shapes.

You can see the GINA in all its glory, along with an explanation of the thinking behind it by BMW's chief designer, Chris Bangle, at BMW-web.tv.
    112_0806_01l+BMW_GINA+grille.jpg

112_0806_01z+BMW_GINA+grille.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

not exactly new, now is it?

800px-Velorex_350-16_Baujahr_1971.jpg

better materials though ...and better morkeshing ..."context over dogma" ...hmmm :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

peasant wrote: »
    "context over dogma"
    Yeah, I probably should have said to turn off the sound! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

In fairness that is pretty cool, best not to bother listening to the infamous Chris Bangle spout his pompous shiite.

Car looks amazing though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Would be interesting when when some scummer slashes your whole car !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

If you can afford a car like that, why would you want to live in this ****hole, to impress the neighbours?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

The way the lights & bonnet (if you can call it that) open is amazing. At least idiots in car parks might do less damage bouncing their doors off it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Would you bring that to the car wash or laundrette?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

The title of the thread says it all really ... mindblowing!

http://blog.wired.com/cars/2008/06/bmw-builds-a-ca.html

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Handy if you prang it also. Just bring it down to your mothers to fix. Every Irish mother has a sewing machine. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

threads merged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

But can mould and change shape, adapting to its surroundings? Going by what I see around me every day Irish cars have been doing that for years -- cars with an eight inch crease in the boot where they adapted to a bollard, a sizeable ding in a door where they adapted to the attentions of another car, cracked or dented front and rear numberplates where it adapted to a small parking space by bouncing off the cars at either end, etc etc.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

ART6 wrote: »
    But can mould and change shape, adapting to its surroundings? Going by what I see around me every day Irish cars have been doing that for years -- cars with an eight inch crease in the boot where they adapted to a bollard, a sizeable ding in a door where they adapted to the attentions of another car, cracked or dented front and rear numberplates where it adapted to a small parking space by bouncing off the cars at either end, etc etc.:)

this system allows it to adapt back without the use of elbowgrease, filler, sandpaper and paint:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Slig wrote: »
    this system allows it to adapt back without the use of elbowgrease, filler, sandpaper and paint:D

So, apparently, do the Irish cars I was referring to, since there is generally no sign of any of those being applied. I suppose it just takes longer for them to adapt back.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Thats pretty cool, but damn I wouldnt wanna crash that into anything, Also I got freaked out when the front lights opened. Like it was alive lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Slig wrote: »
    Would you bring that to the car wash or laundrette?

Dry clean only.:D

Advertisement