Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tommy Tiernan - Madaleine McCann

Options
  • 01-06-2008 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what he said about her to cause such outrage?

Lots of the audience walked out of the show because of it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Where was the gig on?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭bret69

It was down in Kilkenny at the Cat Laughs festival. I wasn't at the gig but i was talking to John Lynn earlier, who was MC at the gig and I asked him about it. He said it was absolutely nothing, it got blown way out of proportion in that paper. Apparently it was a whole story he was telling that was nothing to do with Madelaine but at one point he dropped the name McCann's in there.

Also apparently the bit about half the audience walking out is just plain wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

He was talking about his new baby daughter and mentioned that now, when he wants to have séx with his wife, he gives the child a half bottle of Calpol to shut her up - a tip he learned from the McCanns.

That was it. The crowd didn't walk out. Who the hell would be stupid enough to walk out of a gold dust ticket event. Great publicity for Tommy at his best.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Eglinton wrote: »
    He was talking about his new baby daughter and mentioned that now, when he wants to have séx with his wife, he gives the child a half bottle of Calpol to shut her up - a tip he learned from the McCanns.

That was it. The crowd didn't walk out. Who the hell would be stupid enough to walk out of a gold dust ticket event. Great publicity for Tommy at his best.

FFS.

Dog bless the Irish tabloids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Tarzan_man

I heard the joke was that the McCanns thought they had the world record for hide and seek til they found out about the German Family with the basement? :S few stories floating around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Eglinton

Tarzan_man wrote: »
    I heard the joke was that the McCanns thought they had the world record for hide and seek til they found out about the German Family with the basement? :S few stories floating around.

I didn't hear of him saying that but a few other comedians did make reference to similar material re Maddie and Fritzel. Eleanor Tiernan told her Katy French joke and Dom Irrera told his pedophile jokes.

Irish Tabloids indeed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭rockysweatpants

Tommy Tiernan is incredibly popular and successfull.
    He continually sells out Vicar St, with even coach parties from kilarney
    bringing people up for the weekend JUST so they can see him perform.

That means the Tabloids will blow things our of proportion to sell their horrible newspapers.

Tiernan will not get harmed by any of this.

Same thing happened his "down syndrome" joke....I saw him do it and it was nothing. A girl in the audience even tutted and said "ah no" to which he gave her a talk about how the down syndrome groups he is involved in actually approved the joke. The only joke about all of this is the media as usual....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

The tabloid media blew it out of proportion. I knew people who were at the show and no-one walked out. He said it at the Friday night show too and nothing was said. Just another tabloid journalist trying to create a story out of nothing.

At the football match the following day, when Tomy kicked the ball, Karl Spain said "Long shot there. About the same distance as an apartment to a tapas bar". I nearly fell over laughing. When Tommy tackled John Bishop, Karl said "Tiernan tackles a Bishop. Just another attack on religion from Tommy".

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Shades799

Another Gem from Karl was, after trying to interview Tommy and Tommy replied with a one word answer.

"Tommy Tiernan saying nothing there in case it isn't controversial!"

Class

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭waves

...another one from karl at the game...

"Bishop to Bishop and to another Bishop....... much like an altar boy really"..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Radio Maniac

Hey Ian Dempsey spoke to someone who was actually talking to the journalist who wrote the article at the Cat Laughs and it basically suggests that the journalist saw the opportunity and blew it out of proportion! You can hear the guy talking about it here Just press the play button and fast forward to about 2.30mins into the stream! Poor auld Tommy did nothing wrong I tells ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Tarzan_man

waves wrote: »
    ...another one from karl at the game...

"Bishop to Bishop and to another Bishop....... much like an altar boy really"..

Hah beat me to it! Was nearly in tears. He had another one aswell. "Look at him there with his high kicks almost mocking the disabled..." *crowd gives an uneasy ooooh* "...give me back that mic you imposter!"

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Wow, Spain was on fire at the game!
    Wish I had gone to Kilkenny this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Phantasm

Ha, nice one Tommy.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭bret69

Does anybody know if Tommy has support for his current run in Vicar St?

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

Same thing happened his "down syndrome" joke....I saw him do it and it was nothing. A girl in the audience even tutted and said "ah no" to which he gave her a talk about how the down syndrome groups he is involved in actually approved the joke. The only joke about all of this is the media as usual....

to be honest, imo, a comedian should never have to explain their joke or judgment of the joke nor should they have an established body endorse the joke. it takes away the actual joke if you have to clarify it with some organisation.

If a comedian is going to show bravado on stage then they should not have to explain anything.

Nothing against Tommy, he's a good guy and a fantastic comedian but I hate the bull**** of PC where one has to seek permission for their style of comedy. Takes away the purpose of comedy, does it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Best way to do it IMO, "This next one's a little unPC so if youre easily offended... f#ck pff!"

Advertisement