Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

08-05-2008, 13:45   #1
johnnyrafter

Help ... vista update and o2 usb

Hi all,
A friend of mine has vista and o2 broadband(which i recommended!) . Was working fine untill last weekend (04/05/08), when Micro bleedin Soft decided to release an update for vista. Well its now buggered up the usb for o2. It connects to the internet and then at random times ( sumtimes 4mins sumtimes 15mins) decides not to recongise the modem.
I have been on to o2, and they said it was the update and that its worldwide and is effecting alot of usb connected devices ( mouse, printer etc) He said they were in talks with microsoft ( dunno if i believe that though!).

Does anybody know of a fix for this problem?, it of course has no mention on the o2 site.
Does this mean that vista now no longer supports o2 broadband?

Please anybody esle have the same problem , or a fix for it

Thanks in advance
J
Advertisement
08-05-2008, 16:14   #2
WizZard
Advocatus Diaboli

Some info
O2 weren't bullsh*tting you

Try installing the re-released patch
10-05-2008, 18:23   #3
cbreeze

O2-vista-usb

same here - 02 said it was vistas updates. The said to change the device to a different port and this worked. But its variable, had three crashdumps today one after another before the device settled. Tends to crash more if you enter details too quickly. O2 said this was reported by a lot of users.
11-05-2008, 14:49   #4
el diablo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbreeze View Post
same here - 02 said it was vistas updates. The said to change the device to a different port and this worked. But its variable, had three crashdumps today one after another before the device settled. Tends to crash more if you enter details too quickly. O2 said this was reported by a lot of users.
I tried installing the patch but I'm still having problems occassionally. Seems to be ok today, it hasn't disconnected as yet..
11-05-2008, 16:27   #5
shaneosullivan

Also broken on XP

I have also had the same problem over the last few weeks, but with Windows XP. The connection drops every 3 or 4 minutes, and I have to reenter the pin number.

Has anyone solved this yet?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
12-05-2008, 02:05   #6
lucernarian

It's been a big issue for me aswell. I've tried it on 3 laptops, one Vista Ultimate, one Vista Premium and one XP Home and all had the disconnect problem. The XP laptop was worst. I once was disconnected after 3 seconds

I haven't noticed any other problems with any othe USB connected devices though...
15-05-2008, 11:34   #7
shaneosullivan

Solved it for me

I rang O2 about this (I have Win XP on a IBM Thinkpad laptop), and they gave me a workaround for the problem.

In control panel, click "System".
Click the "Hardware" tab
Click the "Device Manager" button.

At the bottom of the window that opens you should see "Universal Serial Bus controllers". Expand that out by clicking the + sign.

There should be one or more items called "USB Root Hub". On each of these, right click, choose "Properties". Click the "Power Management" tab. Uncheck the box that says "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

And that's it!
17-05-2008, 15:14   #8
el diablo

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneosullivan View Post
I rang O2 about this (I have Win XP on a IBM Thinkpad laptop), and they gave me a workaround for the problem.

In control panel, click "System".
Click the "Hardware" tab
Click the "Device Manager" button.

At the bottom of the window that opens you should see "Universal Serial Bus controllers". Expand that out by clicking the + sign.

There should be one or more items called "USB Root Hub". On each of these, right click, choose "Properties". Click the "Power Management" tab. Uncheck the box that says "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

And that's it!
I tried that solution on Windows Vista Premium but no joy. I'm having terrible problems with my modem disconnection every few minutes (or seconds) and giving an error message when I attempt to reconnect.
The only solution that O2 can give me is to wait for a patch to become available.
What a crap service. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone...
18-05-2008, 12:59   #9
shaneosullivan

It turns out that the solution they gave me only worked for a few hours, perhaps just coincidence. It has gone back to disconnecting every few minutes. So bloody annoying. One thing I've found is that if you're constantly downloading, say over BitTorrent, it doesn't seem to shut off, perhaps because Windows doesn't consider the device to be inactive.
Advertisement
18-05-2008, 14:02   #10
shaneosullivan

I've come up with what seems to be a working solution for the moment - a Windows batch script that lists the contents of the Modem every 5 seconds. It seems to stop windows from powering it down.

Have a look here - http://shaneosullivan.wordpress.com/...ms-in-windows/
18-05-2008, 14:10   #11
el diablo

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneosullivan View Post
I've come up with what seems to be a working solution for the moment - a Windows batch script that lists the contents of the Modem every 5 seconds. It seems to stop windows from powering it down.

Have a look here - http://shaneosullivan.wordpress.com/...ms-in-windows/
ok, I mght try that but will it also work on Vista do you know?
18-05-2008, 17:35   #12
Overheal
MegaMod X

Send a message via Skype™ to Overheal
I wish i didnt skip that whole bit about making batch files last year in college
18-05-2008, 20:39   #13
shaneosullivan

OK, so I updated the post with a link to the file that you can just download. *sigh* editing text files in notepad is, like, sooooo, tricky :-)
26-05-2008, 20:06   #14
Lorraine1974

Hi, anyone still having issues with Vista and O2 broadband. I have been onto O2 and they don't have an estimate of when they will have a resolution!! I spoke to one guy last week and was told that they are close to s solution then today spoke to another person today and was told that they are no where near a solution !!!!
Shane I have tried your file but no luck, thanks though!
This evening it's not that bad, I've been on for about 15 mins now and no loss off connection. The longest I have been able to stay connected for a long time now !
26-05-2008, 20:41   #15
el diablo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine1974 View Post
Hi, anyone still having issues with Vista and O2 broadband. I have been onto O2 and they don't have an estimate of when they will have a resolution!! I spoke to one guy last week and was told that they are close to s solution then today spoke to another person today and was told that they are no where near a solution !!!!
Shane I have tried your file but no luck, thanks though!
This evening it's not that bad, I've been on for about 15 mins now and no loss off connection. The longest I have been able to stay connected for a long time now !
Yep, I have the same problem and I was told by O2 that they have no solution at the moment. I had some big problems at the weekend with the modem disconnecting every few minutes (or seconds) but today it seems to be ok...
Hope they get it sorted soon or I'll be demanding a refund..

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion