Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Santorini

Options
  • 13-05-2008 5:06pm
    Moderators Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭

Thinking about a holiday near the end of August for myself and herself.
    Heard from a friend about a little island called Santorini. Basically I just have a few questions about the place. Anyone ever been there, from what ive heard its a site to see.

Whats the weather like around the end of August?
    Who flys there?
    Any hotels to look out for (good and bad)?

Thats about it. Thanks everyone.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭DubLegs

Hey!

Fab island - totally chilled out and relaxed! Nothing like canaries! We went last year - and have to say it was so relaxing. You can tour the island in a day and then use ferries to get to other islands if your adventorous.
    Fira is the cap with stunning view - though there is no beach here. Kamari is the beach - well it's a black rocky beach but clear water!
    August will be sorchio if ya going early but will cool towards the end - then again the weather is way too unpredictable at the moment.

think XL holidays fly direct, I flew with them last year and it was ok. You can get some really nice hotels directly if you look around, and the airport to Kamari only 10 mins away - Fira about the same and Perissa is about 30 mins i think.

Enjoy

• Moderators Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

What hotel did you stay in?

I read on a previous thread that XL holidays had a 27hr flight delay on the way home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭DubLegs

I actually stayed in Kamari in the Villa Nikos with XL, no great shakes to be honest but it was somewhere to put my head and the owner was lovely. There some really nice hotels in Fira or even Oia but they don't have beaches. Also if your looking to stay in Kamari, try get something on the beachfront or promenade - easier to fall back home to at night!

Think they did have a delay last year not sure of the length - but in fairness if you were to look at other airlines i'm sure you may find the same!
    Defo wouldn't let that put me off going - esp with the direct flight it's easier. It's such a good chill out spot!

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

That was me that had the 27 hour delay. Santorini was fabulous but XL are pretty poor - too few planes that are really overstretched. When one plane gets delayed the knock-on effect can be horrendous - as it was for us. The reps are pretty poor and one even got quite aggressive with us when we complained about delays. Also the legroom on the planes is bad except for the first few rows so make sure you get booked in there if you go with them. Finally the apartments we ended up in - Atalos - were atrocious (although we found out too late that there are nicer ones in the complex). However, XL are the only airline to fly direct to the island so you're a bit stuck unless you fly directly to Athens or Crete and take a ferry. Plus they're cheap and you get what you pay for.

Despite all that Santorini is just gorgeous and we had a wonderful holiday there. It's the most beautiful place that I have ever visited. Beaches are stony but the sea is warm and clear. The most scenic places are Fira and Oia on the east coast. The main resorts Kamari and Perissa are on the west coast and nice enough - pleasant beaches and restaurants - quite quiet - no lager louts or the like. Oia and Fira - the most scenic towns - can be expensive but not hugely so if you shop around. We stayed here in Oia for a couple of days - www.delfini.net - and it was great.

If I was to go again I would book accommodation directly instead of going with a package. Have a look at tripadvisor.com . Don't listen to the XL reps when they say that buses and taxis are unreliable and you should only visit the rest of the island as part of their tour - that's just not true. Do your own thing and have a great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

Worst holiday ive ever been on... Stayed in Perissa nice beach but bars and retaurants were not good

Capital city is a just a rip off spot for cruise ships, way way over priced.
    Paid €16 for 2 local crap beers......

Food was crap everywhere we went had Pizza 5 nights out of 7, ppl wernt the most friendly either.

Over all id give it a miss i went late in the holiday year and place was dead but im not sure it every came to life, for the over 50's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 El Grifo

Just thought I'd post following the last report. Went to Santorini Early Aug. First time to Greece. Stayed in Perissa which was quiet but had many lovely restaurants. Lots of choice other than pizza unlike the previous poster found. Plenty of seafood. People very friendly, whole place very clean, meals very reasonable , as in 2 starters, two mains, water AND a litre of wine for €35+Tip. And this was in several different restaurants. Restauranteurs and shopkeepers were not pushy, unlike Lanzarote where you have to run a gauntlet of waiters trying to get you in. Fira is stunning, lots off the cruise ships alright and if you want you can pay a lot for a beer with a view. But if you want a good lunch for 2 for €20 incl beers, thats there too. Generally the beaches on Santorini are quite stoney and some footwear for swimming is recommended. Temp in early Aug was high 30's but apartments generally have ceiling fans and aircon (the aircon usually at extra charge). Stayed at Smaragdi apts in Perissa and apts were basic but very clean. Towels AND linen changed every 2nd day. Lots of 20 and 30 somethings around Perissa as well as the older groups. Some good bars in Perissa, lots run a section of beach beds too so if you want your drinks served up on the beach thats available too. The beach beds mostly €6-€7 per pair for the day with sunshade included.Travelled with XL and everything was well organised. If you go do take the sailing boat trip to the volcano & hot springs and for the sunset ( which Santorini is famous for) the best spot we found was the Santo Winery where you can get a seat on the terrace and watch the sun go down, all for the price of a glass of wine. ( or €10 total for six assorted glasses of wine with cheese/bread/olives, a great way for 2 to sit & watch the sun go down ) Would go back in the morning. Very enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 balladman

Hi Folks,

Thanks for all the info on Santorini. Havent been there in 25 years but looking forward to returning. If I can find a place to watch the All Ireland Hurling Final it would be a bonus. Its about the only irish thing I want to do when I get there.

Balladman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 El Grifo

balladman wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Thanks for all the info on Santorini. Havent been there in 25 years but looking forward to returning. If I can find a place to watch the All Ireland Hurling Final it would be a bonus. Its about the only irish thing I want to do when I get there.

Balladman.

There is an Irish bar in Fira called....Murphys ( believe it or not their name is advertised on the back of all the bus tickets on the island ) Not sure if they have a TV but worth a shot. It's along what I think is called "Gold Street" where all the jewellers are. There's also an Irish bar in Kamari , can't remember the name but it's advertised along the promenade, its a Greek sounding name actually altho' advertised as the only Irish bar. think its Aiogean or something like that. Enjoy the trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 balladman

El Grifo wrote: »
    There is an Irish bar in Fira called....Murphys ( believe it or not their name is advertised on the back of all the bus tickets on the island ) Not sure if they have a TV but worth a shot. It's along what I think is called "Gold Street" where all the jewellers are. There's also an Irish bar in Kamari , can't remember the name but it's advertised along the promenade, its a Greek sounding name actually altho' advertised as the only Irish bar. think its Aiogean or something like that. Enjoy the trip.
    Ta very much for the info. I thought Murphys was the only Irish pub but seeing aswe're staying in Kamari, will check out the other plsce u suggested. As long as Kilkenny win, I'll be a happy camper

Thanks again.

Advertisement