Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tobsiba laptop not loading Windows.

Options
  • 13-05-2008 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

I've a Toshiba laptop that reboots when it hits the Windows XP splash screen at startup. Does the same thing in Safe Mode. Haven't a saved Last Good Configuration. Would there be anything I could do before a system restore?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭rubicon99

u can try to start the computer with the xp cd and boot from it, and then choose repair (not install) xp when the option comes on the screen. Sound like the boot/registry is missing on or more files.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Remove the hard drive and run a chkdsk on it to see if theres any file system errors, which a chkdsk would fix. I do recommend removing it anyways and performing a backup of the drive to another machine.

Hey majiktripp!

Why would he want to remove hard drive?? The xp loads hallf way and shuts down, it's clearly a software issue with the OS missing some bootfile/s wich are needed fo XP to boot up. And thats got nothing to do with the hardware. :D.

What part of my post mentions hardware? I said that the chkdsk scan would fix any file system errors...which are indeed software errors...he might want to remove the hard drive to allow him to run the scan as the pc wont boot far enough to let him do it from the host machine. also he may want to backup files befroe attempting a repair/reinstall of the OS.

1. u are assuming that he/she has a second computer and a external HDD case so he can plug it in and check it out.

2. even if he does that and runs chkdsk, it wont fix the problem at all if there are boot dll files missing and such. As the name chkdsk suggests, it's mainly used to check erroros of the actual hard disk (hardware), and not so much the Software (Xp) related problems.

3. Why go through all that hassle of removig hard drive, when he can just boot from XP Cd and choose Repair XP when prompt. The XP CD will then go through the System registry and if there is a files missing there, or are corrupt, the XP will reinstall them again, and fix the boot issue.

4. If the issue is not the missing reg. files (wich from my experiance it sound like it) than u can go on with other solutions. :eek:

• Advertisement

rubicon99 wrote: »
    1. u are assuming that he/she has a second computer and a external HDD case so he can plug it in and check it out.
    Yes I am.

2. even if he does that and runs chkdsk, it wont fix the problem at all if there are boot dll files missing and such. As the name chkdsk suggests, it's mainly used to check erroros of the actual hard disk (hardware), and not so much the Software (Xp) related problems.
    Wrong, A Thorough Chkdsk scan checks for physical defects and bad sectors on the hard drive surface, where as a regular Chkdsk scans the Windows file system.Lifted from Microsoft
    During its first stage, CHKDSK displays a message on the screen saying that it is verifying files and counts from 0 to 100 percent complete. During this phase, CHKDSK examines each file record segment (FRS) in the volume's master file table (MFT). Every file and directory on an NTFS volume is uniquely identified by a specific FRS in the MFT and the percent complete that CHKDSK displays during this phase is the percent of the MFT that has been verified. During this stage, CHKDSK examines each FRS for internal consistency and builds two bitmaps, one representing what FRSs are in use, and the other representing what clusters on the volume are in use. At the end of this phase, CHKDSK knows what space is in use and what space is available both within the MFT and on the volume as a whole. NTFS keeps track of this information in bitmaps of its own that are stored on the disk allowing CHKDSK to compare its results with NTFS's stored bitmaps. If there are discrepancies, they are noted in CHKDSK's output. For example, if an FRS that had been in use is found to be corrupted, the disk clusters formerly associated with that FRS will end up being marked as available in CHKDSK's bitmap, but will be marked as being "in use" according to NTFS's bitmap.

During its second stage, CHKDSK displays a message on the screen saying that it is verifying indexes and counts from 0 to 100 percent complete a second time. During this phase, CHKDSK examines each of the indexes on the volume. Indexes are essentially NTFS directories and the percent complete that CHKDSK displays during this phase is the percent of the total number of directories on the volume that have to be checked. During this stage, CHKDSK examines each directory on the volume for internal consistency and also verifies that every file and directory represented by an FRS in the MFT is referenced by at least one directory. It also confirms that every file or subdirectory referenced in each directory actually exists as a valid FRS in the MFT and checks for circular directory references. Finally, it confirms that the various time stamps and file size information associated with files are all up-to-date in the directory listings for those files. At the end of this phase, CHKDSK has ensured that there are no "orphaned" files and that all the directory listings are for legitimate files. An orphaned file is one for which a legitimate FRS exists, but which is not listed in any directory. When an orphaned file is found, it can often be restored to its rightful directory, provided that directory is still around. If the directory that should hold the file no longer exists, CHKDSK will create a directory in the root directory and place the file there. If directory listings are found that reference FRSs that are no longer in use or that are in use but do not correspond to the file listed in the directory, the directory entry is simply removed.

During its third stage, CHKDSK displays a message on the screen saying that it is verifying security descriptors and counts from 0 to 100 percent complete a third time. During this phase, CHKDSK examines each of the security descriptors associated with each of the files and directories on the volume. Security descriptors contain information regarding the owner of the file or directory, NTFS permission for the file or directory, and auditing information for the file or directory. The percent complete in this case is the percent of the number of files and directories on the volume. CHKDSK verifies that each security descriptor structure is well formed and internally consistent. It does not verify that the listed users or groups actually exist or that the permissions granted are in any way appropriate.

3. Why go through all that hassle of removig hard drive, when he can just boot from XP Cd and choose Repair XP when prompt. The XP CD will then go through the System registry and if there is a files missing there, or are corrupt, the XP will reinstall them again, and fix the boot issue.
    Because if its a file system error or registry related problem and he doesn't backup any files, windows (as has happened to me in the past) may perfrom a repair but overwrite the main user account with a blank one..which caused me a lot of grief.

4. If the issue is not the missing reg. files (wich from my experiance it sound like it) than u can go on with other solutions. :eek:

Missing Reg File? Theres 5 registry files called Software, System, SAM, Security, Default, and User. If any of these are missing a repair is not guarunteed to fix the issue,hence why I advise a backup.
    Personally I think the error myself is a bluescreen error called "Unmountable Boot Volume" but he has automatic restart on bluescreen ticked so we cant see the actual error screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Relax majiktripp, the noob is only trying... ;)

If yer gonna come at me, come at me to win or don't try at all! ;)

lol, mr wise guy. i never said that your way is the wrong way. i'm just saying to do 5 minutes job and hopefully the Xp will fix it, before doing the 35 or more minutes job that you are suggesting.

Advertisement