Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thread in music production on the business of selling music.

Options
  • 09-05-2008 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭

Hi business forum folk. We've a good thread growing on the Music Production forum about being a musician and setting up your own record label to release your music.

As you may know the state of the music business is pretty shakey these days. The old business models are dying a digitally induced death. Bands don't need labels and the public are stealing more music than they're buying. Sites like myspace have brought an entire world of music into the living room of music fans direct from the band who created the music but as a result fans are bombarded with poor quality everyday. So how does a musician navigate their way through all this and release their music in a financially viable manner without it being more than a vanity project?

It'd be great to have some of you guys from this forum bring some of your business experience and outside perspective to the thread.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055290135

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭wiredup

I don't think there is a business in recorded music anymore. I certainly would venture that way. The industry is dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

wiredup wrote: »
    I don't think there is a business in recorded music anymore. I certainly would venture that way. The industry is dead.

I'd love to hear why you think that to be the case. It's a pretty sweeping generalisation!

Advertisement