Traditional Palm Sunday Foods - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-03-2008, 13:05   #1
neuro-praxis
Closed Account

Traditional Palm Sunday Foods

Hi,

Challenging one...

I am looking to find out if anyone is aware of any traditional foods eaten on Palm Sunday? I am not from a religious background so I haven't a clue, and google is no help. But I am preparing a Palm Sunday reflection and would like to involve food ...if there is anything traditional that could be appropriately included?

All ideas welcome - in fact I am open to creating new traditions if the symbolism fits.

Thanks,

np
Advertisement
13-03-2008, 18:08   #2
mildews

Not sure about Palm Sunday but traditional easter fayre includes Rabbit and Lamb. Not together, usually separate.
14-03-2008, 11:15   #3
Dizzyblonde

Things like dates and olives would seem appropriate.
14-03-2008, 22:08   #4
neuro-praxis
Closed Account

Thanks lads...

Dizzyblonde, why do you suggest olives and dates? Because they were food of the region in Jesus' time? Or are they traditionally eaten?

I baked a simnel cake today, and bought pretzels, which are traditional lenten food apparently, if not directly Palm Sunday-type food.

Any more suggestions welcome, I still have 24 hours.
15-03-2008, 13:42   #5
Dizzyblonde

I thought of dates because they grow on a palm, and olives - yes, because they're of the region. Flat bread would probably be suitable too since unleavened bread is a Lenten food.. I think the reason there isn't traditional Palm Sunday food is because of Lent - it certainly wouldn't involve meat or fish, for instance.
Hummus is also a middle-eastern food, maybe you could serve flatbread with hummus and an olive dip - with dates and simnel cake after?
I love the concept of this and I hope it goes really well for you.
Advertisement
15-03-2008, 18:20   #6
neuro-praxis
Closed Account

I didn't know dates were the fruit of the palm tree, duh. Thanks Dizzyblonde, I really appreciate your advice on this - I'll be including olives and dates too so. Cheers!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion