Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internships!

Options
  • 20-01-2008 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

I'm thinking of applying to do an internship in a law firm this summer, I'll be going into my last year so it's the right time to do it. Just wondering if anyone has done one before and has any tips or knows

1) Are they useful, as in an essential part of your cv/ good experience?

2) Are they hard to get and is it based on family connections? I have no family connections in law :(

3) If I get one, what might I be spending my time doing? Is it transition year work experience-style photocopying, or a bit more advanced?

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

I don't know a whole lot about them but I'll just say the things I do know! I am in the same boat as you, hoping to do one this summer. The large firms, on their websites, list the kind of things you do and it does seem that they give you a little more experience than the sort of transition year stuff you get stuck with. I do also know if you do an internship with one of the big firms, you are far more likely to get a job in them. I know that from a partner in one of the big firms. All in all I would say its a worthwhile thing to do if you are looking towards an apprenticeship.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Doing a structured internship in any company in any industry always improves your chances of getting a job after graduation.

I'd imagine it would make your life a lot easier. My friend did one in some crimianal place in London. They gave them a training contract and paid for their law school training.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,218 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Any chance of the name of the firm in London please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Most of the large firms in Dublin offer structured internships. As these programmes are quite well established you can expect to get decent work when you're there. Application forms are put up on the firm websites around April.

As far as getting an apprenticeship as a result goes, it varies from firm to firm. Some firms recruit heavily from their summer programmes, others just give their interns an automatic contract interview afterwards with no guarantees of a placement. Of course it's possible that they decide after having you in the office for two weeks that they just don't like you :D. Overall, they're very worthwhile doing.

Regards having no contacts in the legal profession, I think that this was more the position 15 years ago than today. Yes, nepotism is rife in the small high street offices dotted around the country, but given the fact that they only have one or two trainees at a time, you can hardly expect them to run a graduate recruitment programme and pick an unknown over, say, a client's son or daughter. The Top 10 firms in Ireland are by and large meritocratic, i.e, if you're good you'll get in regardless of contacts.

To anyone who's concerned about nepotism, etc, in Ireland then London is only an hour away and the legal profession is much more accessible and open. London learned far earlier then Dublin that the way to get the best people (who will make them the most money and are most motivated) is through fair and open competiton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Nike_Dude

They are definitely a good idea if you can get into one. I know a certain top five five who called the majority of their interns in after their month was up and offered them training contracts. I did one with a different top five firm and while i still had to go through the interview process I was offered a training contract with them, Though I was the only one out of the 8 of us that were in for the month. Aside from the future prospects they offer they are a really good idea. They give a great understanding of what work in that type of firm is like. I wasnt sure if I wanted to go into commercial law before I did mine and it made my mind up for me. The money isn't great but they definitely look good on your cv if you decide to go down the route of applying to the top ten firms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

I'm a law graduate and I'm thinking of applying to a few of the top 5 firms for a summer work placement. What are the chances of securing a place?

And, precisely what sort of work is involved? Is it administration/filing, or are you allowed to do meaningful work helping a solicitor?

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Slim. I remember talking to someone who mentioned his wife was reviewing applicants in one of the top 5. I can't remember the exact figures but you are talking about hundreds chasing just a few places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 jack da Lad

Im currently in my final year of a law degree and spent most of last summer interning mainly in London. Applications for most London firms are now closed with October/ November being the peak time for those in their penultimate year to apply. Irish applications are much later with deadlines generally in March and April. Internships in most of the big firms are a great expereince with brilliant social events and are generally a great insight into what working in that particular firm is really like. Interns usually get to assist on real cases and are not just stuck doing menial admin tasks.

However competiton for places is fierce; there is an unfounded belief that getting a training contract as a result of an internship is the easy option. This could'nt be further from the truth- As it is now more difficult to secure an internship at Dublins top five firms and in the London magic circle firms than it is to get an apprenticeship. Some of the London firms for exapmle receive 4,000 applications for about 100 places, thankfully its not that bad in Ireland yet! That said good grades and a very well researched and articulate application form goes a long way in the selection process. Some firms are more thorough than others for example MOPS and the top 5 London firms have seriously demanding assessment days, partner interviews etc.

Though if your successful its definitely worth it in the long run; I done an internship at one of these firms, had an amazing time and 95% of my intake (including myself) were offered training contracts. You have nothing to loose in applying .. its definitely worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Just to clarify re the "fierce competition" for places, I'm talking about a work placement during the summer, not the actual apprenticeship/training contract. I know that there's only a handful of places available in each firm over summer, but it's hard to believe that there's hundreds, even thousands, of candidates (and law graduates post fe1s at that) who are just looking for work experience. Can anyone give a reliable figure for the number of law graduates (post fe1) that are applying for summer work with the big 5?

(my own estimate would be about 100 maybe 150 applications- I'm not counting leaving cert or undergraduate students)

Also, I don't expect to be handed an apprenticeship or even an interview simply because I turned up for a month of work experience. I'm more interested in improving my cv and also getting a taste of life in a big firm. I'm genuinely interested in pursuing my career as a solicitor and gaining as much worthwhile experience as possible- I'd even be prepared to work for nothing.

Do smaller and medium sized offices offer work placement during summer? I've tried preiously but found it impossible to get in anywhere as I don't have any contacts in the legal profession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

I did two, both in top firms. I highly advise doing one as they are a real shoe in the door in terms of getting traineeships (in fact, many lead to traineeships)

Most of the firms don't care a whit about family connections anymore, certainly not Arthur Cox, MOP, A&L or Frys. The only thing is, not all firms have structured internships. The more structured (MOP, Cox, Frys) the more likely the work will be good and the selection process fair.

They are difficult to get but that shouldn't be an issue. You fill in the form and hopefully do an interview (which is good experience in and of itself)....but what do you lose by applying? Nothing in life is easy and if you only apply for things that are easy to get you won't advance very far!

In one firm I did filing (if you PM me I can tell you which one.....) and in another I did great work (memos, research, ringing clients etc).

Go for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,218 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Can anyone recommend a firm in particular?

Even though I think my best option is to apply to as many as I can

Advertisement