Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos in Sligo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Ill gatto accused us Sligoians of being lazy folk and i'm starting to think he was right!

Cmon ppl!

We should all do it! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Thats why I suggested the petition, but no one seems to bovvered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

[off topic] The library but its closed mondays. I wonder if you have a legal right to demand the use of the town halls facilities? [/off topic]

(on topic) eh, argos?

Toilet.....Johnston Court but its up two flights of stairs and not a shuttle bus insight:D

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭easkey

magnumlady wrote: »
    Thats why I suggested the petition, but no one seems to bovvered.

Yes all for it:D:D:D

As for walking up to the shops.
    Have you ever tried to push a double buggy around the
    streets of this TOWN....I have twins.
    The path's are too narrow,,,Shops in town do not cater for same.
    Newspaper shops-Restaurants (MOSTLY UP STAIRS).
    Tesco and Dunnes,Video shops-cloths-Shoe.
    Wheelchair friendly:confused:...In the cinema they leave you in the
    the way of all, stuck near the Exit or Entrance.
    Cars parked on every kind of yellow line...No way through:mad::mad:
    The Hospitals of Sligo and Manorhamillton-CUT BACKS

But what this has to do with more choice
    for the people of Sligo.

Again please direct to the public toilets-PLEASE:confused:

Yes to a petition:D

easkey wrote: »
    Again please direct to the public toilets-PLEASE:confused:

We weren't messing earlier!
    There actually is none!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,937 ✭✭✭✭muffler

And the last 3 posts have got what to do with Argos?

These issues are and were discussed in other threads so if you want this thread locked then by all means keep going.

He's right. I don't think this topic needed a thread of it's own either.

If it's something new for Sligo or something in relation to planning (like Argos) it should be in the news and views sticky!

Gillie wrote: »
    We weren't messing earlier!
    There actually is none!:mad:

I know just trying to make a point about planning-;);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 deco2010

im all for sligo to develop but this town cant get nothin done without someone bitching about any proposal to build anything here,we are being left back in the past look at letterkenny and athlone,so we have quayside and crappy johnstone court thats not enough.would anyone agree with me?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭l3LoWnA

vesp wrote: »
    Look at the argos in enniskillen, athlone, castlebar - they are all town centre sites. .

Yes, but these are smaller towns with less traffic and probably good parking facilities!! Look at the Argos store in galway, in an atrociously bad spot near the city centre, their parking facilities are sh*te!!! And most people who are buying in Argos will want their car nearby to transport their goods which alot of the time are rather bulky.

Argos in Longford is outside the town and is dead handy!

I think Cleveragh Retail Park would be an ideal spot for Argos in Sligo. Could the OP email them back and tell them we'd all love to see them in Cleveragh! :D I find it so so handy whenever I've to do a trip to Smyths, it's a great spot! Horrible to see all those other empty Units though!

*** the begrudgers, ie. the monopoly of local business owners who objected so straongly to Argos - let them upgrade their own less-than-excellent services to match these larger chains coming into the town and not be so lax in their own service, that's what I say! I'm delighted to see all these larger chains coming into Sligo, it's about time - but an M&S would be wonderful too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

is the argos planned to go into the retail park on the galway road outta sligo yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

is the argos planned to go into the retail park on the galway road outta sligo yeah?

Afraid not, at the moment the Argos store isn't planned for anywhere in Sligo. It was, but it was refused permission.

I think Buckfaster might be referring to Toberbride Business Park on the N4/N17 roundabout. Haven't heard anything about planning there as of yet!

Gillie wrote: »
    I think Buckfaster might be referring to Toberbride Business Park on the N4/N17 roundabout. Haven't heard anything about planning there as of yet!

Ah, perhaps. Though I can't see the Chamber of Commerce randomly giving Argos permission for one site and not another. Though I'm open to correction. *wants to be corrected - wants Argos*

Argos has to be in a retail park due to parking...store room size etc. is there any other places in sligo where it could be set up other than the retail park outside of town which i mentioned? only curious as im involved in store openings ;)

Argos has to be in a retail park due to parking...store room size etc. is there any other places in sligo where it could be set up other than the retail park outside of town which i mentioned? only curious as im involved in store openings ;)

Which retail park did you mean buckfasterer? 'Cos we have a couple of them. If you're looking for business from this your best bet would probably be to email the company directly. Or the management company for the retail park in question.

Naw naw..... i work for the company and im involved in store openings...going to diff stores in the country to help with setup! currently in Carlow but the conversation came about sligo recently and i was wondering where abouts the Argos was planned to go if it got the go ahead with planning permission??

Naw naw..... i work for the company and im involved in store openings...going to diff stores in the country to help with setup! currently in Carlow but the conversation came about sligo recently and i was wondering where abouts the Argos was planned to go if it got the go ahead with planning permission??

Ah. Well afaik it was originally planned for Carraroe, but if you're in the company you should be our mole! :)

haha...will do. i kept an eye here recently to see wat was being said and from wat i can gather it would be welcomed. hopefully it will be in the town soon. there are plans to open 20 argos stores in ROI in the next 2 years...Carlow, Waterford 2 and Portlaoise being the first 3.

They were due to go into Carraroe Retail Park but they would have been "breaking the rules" in the Environs Plan.

At the time it was seen as "protectionism" by some of Sligo's retailers but there ya go!

The retail park in Cleveragh would be more than adaquate to house an Argos extra and they apparently were offered a unit there by a local businessman but turned it down.

Argos will come to Sligo. It's only a matter of time.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

So why did Argos refuse the Cleveragh retail park option? Any way of finding out? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

tuppence wrote: »
    So why did Argos refuse the Cleveragh retail park option? Any way of finding out? ;)

I don't know why they refused but personally, I find Cleveragh Retail Park a bit out of the way, it's not very inviting.

Buckfasterer(any relation to the "lovely" wine?) Yes please from us! We bought a coffee machine from Argos in Longford, it broke within 4 mths and the Argos in Enniskillen won't entertain us so we would have to drive 1 and a half hour to exchange??? So, what I'm trying to say is "Put us forward please!!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

http://www.sligoborough.ie/media/Media,2165,en.pdf
    This is where they seem to be coming from, like it or hate it. ie this from the inside out apprach, sequential policy and how they implement it. I am presuming Argos was caught in this. (but dont know for sure) Obviously there could also be issues relating to vested interests obnjecting too. Those of you in town would know more of this.:confused:
    But why did they refuse cleveragh?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by il gatto

Without being too simplistic, explain what reason they used to justify what difference having Argos would have made to Sligo and it's environs. In the broader scheme of things, being able to buy a toy/saucepan/armchir from Argos outside of the town's prescribed boundry for such things , or buying it from Toy City, Homebase or whoever makes absolutely no difference to anybody. the fact is the "interested" parties took fright at Argos and ignored the threat of the other retailers. They concentrated their pull on Argos, hence it was banned. It's a rotten system, absolutely and totally.
    The Co. Co. know people's thoughts on alot of such issues, and they hide behind doing what's best for us. Argos moving into Unit 4 instead of Land of Leather would not have negatively impacted on anyone's life. The green space was built on. There was no reason for it to be done other than placate the people who matter more in Sligo.
    It's not a conspiracy theory. It's just the way things work. The amount of representations will make it less tokenistic, only if those representations don't thread on some business person's or politicians toes. Otherwise, they'll be ignored.

This sums up Sligo Town Planning.
    Well said M8:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

One of the main reasons why Argos (and many more business' for that matter) are not in Sligo by now is in my opinion because of a group of local business people known country-wide as 'the seven sisters', ie the main lobby group from the Sligo Chamber of Commerce. (I think the name comes from an Italian tycoon for a group of the seven main oil companies in the world ) The only thing I know about the Sligo cartel is that they regularly meet up in a certain town centre premises to discuss and monitor would be rivals and competitors that may be coming too close to their 'patch'...and if necessary, to stop them! Sisters under stress...Depressing isn't it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Look how long it took Boots to open in Sligo! It IS a good idea to support local business, but only if those local businesses represent good service & good value for money. Tohers were one of the main objectors to Boots for years, but as a bloke, if I go into Tohers, I feel as welcome as a paedo in a school yard. OK, the Boots here is small, but it at least has a range of men's products.

As for Argos... over Xmas, I wanted to get a few household & electrical goods for presents. When I went looking for them in Sligo, they were either unavailable or completely over-priced, so I drove to Longford & got them all in Argos.

As for supporting local businesses - I do so when I feel I'm getting good value / products. I prefer to buy meat from the butcher's on Castle St - they do local free range chicken. Murrays in Magherabouy is near me, so I buy my eggs & bacon there - both locally produced, but I'm forced to shop in Tesco as the foods I want are far too expensive in local shops & usually not available. Try finding something as basic as Parmesan in a Centra for example!

Sligo desperately needs a large supermarket outside the centre - it's joke that people have to drive in from the likes of Colooney, spend half an hour trying to get a parking spot, pay for it, then spend another half hour trying to get back home. If there was a Tesco in Carrarowe retail park, it'd serve a huge slice of the county.. plus the parking's free. You look at the likes of Carrick-on-Shannon & they seem to have a better set-up than we do. Sad.

The Chamber of Commerce is 100% self serving & is there not to protect local interest or help local people, but purely to maintain a status quo that suits already wealthy local businessmen. It's a total disgrace. But when you see which way this county votes in local & national elections, it's hardly surprising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

So you agree that ''Sisters are doing it for themselves''

They're definitely not doing it for the benefit of anyone else... it seems that their fat bellies & fatter wallets are insatiable & they really don't want to share the pie with anyone else. As usual, it's Joe Public who suffers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

The Chamber of Commerce is 100% self serving & is there not to protect local interest or help local people, but purely to maintain a status quo that suits already wealthy local businessmen. It's a total disgrace. But when you see which way this county votes in local & national elections, it's hardly surprising.

Oh how true.
    Its great to hear someone say this, instead of us all being so grateful for the "great way Sligo has come on".

• Advertisement

MikeySligo wrote: »
    Oh how true.
    Its great to hear someone say this, instead of us all being so grateful for the "great way Sligo has come on".

People who think this are either stupid or too lazy to even think about what's going on around them. But they are obviously in the majority judging on the results of the last election. The attitude across the country seems to have been exactly what you said - everyone grateful for how the country has "come on" & afraid to upset the "balance".

They never stopped to think that Ireland was going through an unprecedented economic boom, that, even without a government, would have benefited the country. HOW it benefited the country DID have a lot to do with the government... sure, everyone's a bit better off than before, but there's a minority, who the government made sure, are a million miles better off than everyone else.

Yeah Sligo's "come on" soooo well;

There's SUVs everywhere, but the roads are still ****e.
    We've gone green & are saving the planet, yet we can't save our hospitals.
    We've banned smoking but lost our cancer care units.
    We charge for plastic bags, but can't provide supermarkets close to our towns.
    We're all earning more, yet somehow some of seem to have less.
    We've elect politicians who've run our country, yet still feel detatched & uninvolved in the political processes that shape our lives.

I'm seriously thinking of getting involved in politics myself, at least at a local level - I'm so sick, not of complaining, but of having to complain about the state of affairs as it stands. I just wanna see at least one politician who's interested in politics for the good of the people.

Advertisement