Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web Master Meetup - 9th February Dublin

Options
  • 01-02-2008 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭

Surprised no one has mentioned it here yet [if I have missed it feel free to delete this post ... helping me not look like a complete idiot for double posting :D]

There is going to be a bit of a meet up of webmasters on the 9th of February in the Harbor Master Hotel in dublin from 7:30 PM onwards...

With a few people meeting for a warm up :P before hand in Fitzsimons in Temple Bar which just so happens to coincide with the France Vrs. Ireland rugby match (spot the guy married to a french girl ... France vrs ireland)

http://www.irishwebmasterforum.com/general-chat/2977-proposal-for-dublin-city-meet-drink.html

I'd be great if this thread could be stickied until saturday the 9th (assuming mods are ok with it) I've been active on both boards for a while helping out where I can ... unfortunately I've yet to meet any of ye so it'd be great to finally put a face to the "username" :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

forbairt wrote: »
    if I have missed it feel free to delete this post ... helping me not look like a complete idiot for double posting :D

Ah forb, we already thought that anyway! :D

It should be a good meet up alright!

Oh, and if any of the hosting companies want to sponsor the event, we're all welcoming free drinks vouchers!!! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

I won't be able to make it, but I'm sure we could sort out something ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Stickied. Won't be able to make it myself though :(

blacknight wrote: »
    I won't be able to make it, but I'm sure we could sort out something ...
    So you're going to sponsor our hangovers?

Problem with this being a sticky is that I tend to look for the first post after the stickies and wouldn't notice it in there. If we keep it alive with new posts, it'll stay at the top for the next week anyway.

Just my 2cents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Hadn't thought of that :) ... and to be honest I didn't even see it at the top when I was viewing the forum ...

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭rusnakova

Hi Guys, could a girl, fanatic about SEO and marketing, doing SEO workshops for companies, with some basic HTML knowledge, join you?

I have put a link to the event to our website and I will try to spread the message around more. Anyway, I really would like to meet you guys and see who is behind this web master forum, as I got lots of useful advice from here.

So hope to see you Sat 7.30 Harbour Master...

Simona

NO!!!! no girls allowed :D
    *joke*
    My wife may be joining us for a bit ... or at least until france is still winning :D (earlier in the day)

I think its a more the merrier ... type of event ... there will be serious discussions no doubt ... especially around 1:30 ??? when the pub is closing :D (where to go next) :P

But I'd consider it a social networking event of sorts

Ciaran from over on http://www.weeno.ie created a facebook event .. for anyone using it ... might be handy for people who'll know no one like myself to be able to put faces to names :)

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=8267423821

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Cant make it, have to stay in Waterford that date. Enjoy yourselves!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

so is this more a piss up event or will there be some web stuff discussed?

miju wrote: »
    so is this more a piss up event or will there be some web stuff discussed?

Its a meet up ... there are no "events" as such planned with speakers and so on I believe and given its in a pub ... people will no doubt be having a drink or two ..

Hence call it what you will
    Networking event ? Irish webmaster meet up /

People will no doubt talk about different things amongst each other so I'd say you'll get out of it what you put into it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

in that case i may well pop along to this then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭cianuro

Might also be worth mentioning that Blacknight have kindly agreed to "sponsor" the event.

Thanks Michele.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

cianuro wrote: »
    Might also be worth mentioning that Blacknight have kindly agreed to "sponsor" the event.

Thanks Michele.
    Fair play to them!

Yeah! Much appreciated Michele!!! :D But I'll be cursing the hangover on Sunday me thinks!

Just to let people know this was a pretty cool meetup. In my mind at any rate :)

May it be the first of many

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

any kind of report - or was it just drunken ramblings?

more info over on Irish Webmaster Forum as well as a few pics ... can't be bothered copying all that from over there.

About 20 - 30 people turned up ... yes there were drunken ramblings (sorry everyone) :D ... some interesting discussions about dealing with clients ... coding ... SEO .. and so on

More of a get together and try to build a bit of a community spirit

David mentioned potentially getting this going as a regular thing once a quarter which I'd definitely be on for.
    (the general feeling from all involved I think was it was quite useful)

As a solo developer / desiger its nice to meet up with people get some feedback from your peers and see what others are up to.
    I don't know that many web people in galway so its mainly online I'm talking to people about web related things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭randombar

I'd def be up for that, prob owe half the people going pints for their help!

Was in the true capital for the weekend unfortunately.

• Advertisement

It would probably make sense to organise meetups in different places ie. Cork, Galway, Waterford even Belfast...

It would probably make sense to organise meetups in different places ie. Cork, Galway, Waterford even Belfast...

Would be cool :) haven't really been to cork apart from passing though :)

Though I wonder how big a turn out you'd have for various places.
    For me its a bit of a trip getting from Galway to Dublin (but I would make it again ... cork would take longer)
    So you're losing a day and a half if you plan on attending from far away.

Belfast is crazy to get to from here unless there are flights so honestly unless I could tie in a bit of business there I doubt I'd head up. MickyWall is the only user I know that is from belfast as well ?

Dublin with a high population makes a bit more sense.

forbairt wrote: »
    Dublin with a high population makes a bit more sense.

Not for me it doesn't :)

I'd prefer to go out in Cork

Not for me it doesn't :)

I'd prefer to go out in Cork

Neither one is great for me ... but I can handle the expense every few months :)

I know Valérie-Anne would be on for cork as she loves it there.
    So if there are the numbers who would show up I'm on for it :D I'd have one or two non web people but involved in their websites who'd be on for it as well no doubt :) I have one client down there as well so it could tie in nicely for me :D ... but ah .. thats a few months away I guess :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

As I'm living in Dublin I'm even more annoyed I missed the first (Dublin) one now :D

But, with a bit of forewarning, I wouldn't be opposed to a trip to Galway, Belfast or Cork either.

well it needs about 20 people I reckon and you can wander / mingle with people quite nicely.

I'd have no problem travelling - I love going out in Galway, Cork and Belfast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭CoNfOuNd

I'd be interested in events in Belfast and Dublin. Unfortunately I couldn't make it this time to Dublin.

I live in Belfast but do a lot of commuting to Dublin for business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

That's actually a very good idea.

• Advertisement
Advertisement