Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zone Alarm update wanted to add BHO, why?

Options
  • 16-12-2007 6:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

HI all, i tried to post this earlier but was held up, I got an update for ZA today & i was sent to the main site here
    As it was gonna give me a FREE Upgrade to ZoneAlarm® Internet Security Suite with TrialPay
    I thought thats nice, whats the catch? If anyone knows tell me!

Instead i just went for the update on the right-hand side, during the install of the upgrade it tried to install a BHO (pic provided below) Spywareguard leaped into action & said it could be harmful?

I dont really know if it is or not?
    Also the upgrade gave me a shiny new SPY BLOCKER on the LHS of the browser with AdblockBPlus on the RHS.

Has anyone had an upgrade recently with ZA or is this just normal procedure?

Thanks for any advice given.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

ya i got the update notice today but decided to be reminded till tomorrow, just aswell tho!

its kinda ironic what zonealarms are at! i think its time to find a new firewall

anyone have any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

From reading around, there seems to be a growing opinion that the Comodo Free firewall is currently surpassing Zonealarm. Could be worth taking a look at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭IncredibleHulk

SofaKing wrote: »
    From reading around, there seems to be a growing opinion that the Comodo Free firewall is currently surpassing Zonealarm. Could be worth taking a look at.

Will the free version operate in stealth mode?

standbyme wrote: »
    HI all, i tried to post this earlier but was held up, I got an update for ZA today & i was sent to the main site here
    As it was gonna give me a FREE Upgrade to ZoneAlarm® Internet Security Suite with TrialPay
    I thought thats nice, whats the catch? If anyone knows tell me!

Instead i just went for the update on the right-hand side, during the install of the upgrade it tried to install a BHO (pic provided below) Spywareguard leaped into action & said it could be harmful?

I dont really know if it is or not?
    Also the upgrade gave me a shiny new SPY BLOCKER on the LHS of the browser with AdblockBPlus on the RHS.

Has anyone had an upgrade recently with ZA or is this just normal procedure?

Thanks for any advice given.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=194609

Apparently you have a choice whether to install

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭standbyme

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=194609

Apparently you have a choice whether to install

Thanks for the info on both sites. I should have pointed out it did give me a choice at install, but i didnt know what a BHO was & i briefly came across something negative about it with on IE a few years back, so i declined the install of the BHO, what does it do anyway? & should i have the SPYBLOCKER after i declined it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

what does it do anyway? & should i have the SPYBLOCKER after i declined it?
    I imagine it just stops malware from hijacking your PC while you are surfing online. SpywareGuard would have definitely removed it. It is nothing harmful, actually would be a benefit to your PC probably.

Will the free version operate in stealth mode?

I am told it will

what does it do anyway? & should i have the SPYBLOCKER after i declined it?
    I am not sure but it seems to be a harmless add on to ZA. You could always download a fresh copy and install again and let it past Spywareguard or install ZA without it. Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭standbyme

I am not sure but it seems to be a harmless add on to ZA. You could always download a fresh copy and install again and let it past Spywareguard or install ZA without it. Good luck

Thanks, i'll do that, as it was the BHO i was wondering what use it was, bu i see it would have been helpful as i didnt know you'd be getting the SpyBlocker additional, suppose you cant have too many (spy... products) :)

standbyme wrote: »
    Thanks, i'll do that, as it was the BHO i was wondering what use it was, bu i see it would have been helpful as i didnt know you'd be getting the SpyBlocker additional, suppose you cant have too many (spy... products) :)
    READ THIS FIRST
    http://forums.zonelabs.com/zonelabs/board/message?board.id=inst&message.id=74507

• Advertisement

Advertisement