Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Paying motor tax on a second hand car

Options
  • 08-12-2007 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,
    Bought a second hand car a few weeks ago. Dealer said he'd send off the details and we'd receive all the details in the post with how much we had to pay and how.

But all that's come is a Registration Certificate. It doesn't give any details as how we pay or how much we pay. Went onto motortax.ie and it says I need a pin to pay it on there.

It's not a new car or an imported car. Revenue obviously have all the details as they sent me the cert out.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭bop1977

take the your car insurance cert, NCT cert and vechicle lience cert to the tax office and they will take money off you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

bop1977 wrote: »
    take the your car insurance cert, NCT cert and vechicle lience cert to the tax office and they will take money off you.

You don't need the NCT cert or your insurance cert. If you just write down your insurance details, the companys name and policy number I think it is you fill it into a form that you get when you go into the office.

All they need is that form fully completed and the registration book plus your fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭BillyGoatGruff

I think your PIN for the online system is usually the last six digits of your chassis number. Could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I think your PIN for the online system is usually the last six digits of your chassis number. Could be wrong.
    IIRC thats for new cars only

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭trellheim

1. if you've got the cert then Shannon know about you.
    2. Shannon tells all the councils about the ownership changes
    3. Assuming it's out of tax then the council should send you a bill + PIN for the site.

if not as above then ring the council motortax office they will sort you out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

trellheim wrote: »
    1. if you've got the cert then Shannon know about you.
    2. Shannon tells all the councils about the ownership changes
    3. Assuming it's out of tax then the council should send you a bill + PIN for the site.

if not as above then ring the council motortax office they will sort you out
    You are only liable for the tax from the date you bought the car.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭construct06

when taxing for the first time you cannot do this thru' motortax.ie. so u have to go to ur local motor tax office with ur details and pay, or ring vrt shannon and they will send out form and u fill out and send back with cheque or cc details. form is available on net. rf100a i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,795 ✭✭✭✭unkel

The "date of sale" is on the VLC
    esel wrote: »
    You are only liable for the tax from the date you bought the car.

To be more precise: you are only liable for the tax from the first day of the month you bought the car. E.g. if you bought the car per 31/12/2007, you are liable for tax from 01/12/2007

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Sorry if I missed this somewhere in the mountains of discussion on the budget chages in the motoring world. But :

Will the new CO2 based annual tax apply to imports from next July - i.e. a 2nd hand car, but a new registration to the Irish system?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,676 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Sandwich wrote: »
    Sorry if I missed this somewhere in the mountains of discussion on the budget chages in the motoring world. But :

Will the new CO2 based annual tax apply to imports from next July - i.e. a 2nd hand car, but a new registration to the Irish system?

Yes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Thanks Kaiser2000.

Am looking at a 3 yr old Accord 2.2. Tax under the old regime approx E800/yr. UNder the new E290/yr. Thats serious money to me, so quite apart from the purchase price gains, looks like improting is the only way to go.

Advertisement