Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharp Aquos LC37XD1E (37" 1080p HD Ready) LCD TV - €999 [Currys]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

Cozy looks good - where are your cables hidden ???

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Cables are in the walls! the joys of a wooden frame house ;) I have some pull wires in the wall also so i can always pull more cables up to it if needed and where Sharp put all the connections (far right) makes it very easy to connect them without taking the TV off the wall..

Very happy with it so far, even bog standard freeview looks well on it and I cant wait to see some HD on it!!

The TV is tilted forward / down about 5/10 degrees and the couch is about 8 feet away so it works well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭irelandsown

Got one in Currys in Limerick yesterday (out by the Parkway). They had 6 left when I got mine.

Delighted with it. Some picture on Sky and the BluRays through the PS3 are savage. Sound is great too. Nearly dont need the surround sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭south

was it still been sold at €999 ? thinking about buying one of these myself

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

In sounstore u can get a 40" bravia wit 1080p and(100hz i tink) for 1299. 2 be honest i'd have a sony over a sharp anyday...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,852 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Contrast ratio Zonda? Judging by the price.. probably 800:1 / 1200:1.

No thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭ixtlan

Zonda999 wrote: »
    In sounstore u can get a 40" bravia wit 1080p and(100hz i tink) for 1299. 2 be honest i'd have a sony over a sharp anyday...

Not 100Hz, but yes a very good TV. The 40W2000, released late last year at close to €3000, fell to €2500 by New Year and yes is now €1299.

Unfortunately I am in analysis paralysis... Jan-Feb-Mar if someone has offered me that TV for that price I would have jumped at it. Now with the newer models out with some extra features, I'd feel I was missing something.

Still, it tempts me a little. Some shops are still selling it for 1500 and over... so that Soundstore deal is good. The thing is I know that the W3000 retailing for €2700 now will be under 1500 in a year...

Ix.

Cheers for model number ixtlan.

Good review of it here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭irelandsown

south wrote: »
    was it still been sold at €999 ? thinking about buying one of these myself

Yep. Not at the front door anymore. Out back with the rest of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Akula

I bought one of the sharps. I'd like to try and output video and sound from my PC to it. I have the video running perfectly... using a dvi->hdmi adapter and its displaying in full 1920x1080 glory.

My question is what is the best way of getting sound from my pc to the tv. Can I configure the tv to accept sound and video from different inputs? What kind of cable would I need?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

I just got one Friday..SD quality better then I thought, and followed some of the tips about the settings on this thread to get the best out of HD.

2 questions...I have 1 stuck pixel on the top of the screen, near the middle. Currys say I need 3 or 4 for an exchange. Should I push them on it ? The pixel is blue, so only noticeable with bright colours (xbox 360 marketplace blade is orange and you will see it there), only white, orange and red backgrounds so far, but can't see it when watching dvd's, especially if there are borders or playing games for that matter. I don't plan to use it with the desktop PC. Used exclusively for sky hd and 360 in bedroom so sitting back 5 or 6 feet.. Backlight is as perfect as I have seen on any LCD. So wondering should I not bother making a fuss ?

2nd question is regarding nintendo wii..it outputs 640x480p on component. Max vga/component can do on this tv is 1280x1024. So will the wii image get stretched to 1280, with huge borders. Or will the whole screen be filled. Thanks.

Flaccus wrote: »
    2 questions...I have 1 stuck pixel on the top of the screen, near the middle. Currys say I need 3 or 4 for an exchange. Should I push them on it ? The pixel is blue, so only noticeable with bright colours (xbox 360 marketplace blade is orange and you will see it there), only white, orange and red backgrounds so far, but can't see it when watching dvd's, especially if there are borders or playing games for that matter. I don't plan to use it with the desktop PC. Used exclusively for sky hd and 360 in bedroom so sitting back 5 or 6 feet.. Backlight is as perfect as I have seen on any LCD. So wondering should I not bother making a fuss ?
    I say meh.. 1 stuck / dead pixel is a minor manufacturing defect!

I'm in the same situation but i've a single dead (not stuck) pixel and can only be seen up very close so i reckon why bother. If you've a single stuck / dead pixel, it's not the end of the world unless you watch pressed up against the screen and i haven't done that in at least.... a year! ;)

And chances are if you do put up a fuss and get a new replacement out of it, you might get a replacement with 2 - 3 stuck / dead pixels.

Although it's really up to you!
    2nd question is regarding nintendo wii..it outputs 640x480p on component. Max vga/component can do on this tv is 1280x1024. So will the wii image get stretched to 1280, with huge borders. Or will the whole screen be filled. Thanks.
    Not sure about this.. as i just have the 360 which will output up to 1920 X 1280 (although i have it set to the max which is as you've said 1280 X 1024).

My problem right now is that shared VGA / component port!

I've an XBox 360 (which i'm outputting via it's HD VGA cable) and an Argosy Media Drive (which i've outputting via component-over-VGA connection). So essentially they're both using the same input on the back of the TV (VGA / EXT 4).

Now the 2 devices using the same port can be solved using a VGA switcher (which i've ordered from DealExtreme) but the problem is..

I've to switch 'Input Type' under EXT 4 (VGA) to 'PC (RGB)' for the 360 and 'Component' for the Argosy. I've to do this every time i switch between them! :(

I guess you could trade your 360 for one with a hdmi output :) I use hdmi for the 360 and the PC, scart for sky plus. No sky hd for me. Seems like ripoff money for just a handful of channels. As for the wii, looks like I won't be getting a wii anytime soon considering the shortages and ripoff prices online.

On the hmdi settings what is recommended :
    RGB or, YCbCr 4:4:4 or 4:2:2 on HDMI and ITU601 or ITU709. They all seem to work on the 360. Can't tell the difference to be honest.

Also what custom settings are you using for sky sd. HDVTest reviewed the 42 and reckoned these settings work well on the 37.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/Sharp-LC42XD1E/

Backlight: -4 daytime, -6 evening
    Contrast: 35
    Brightness: -1
    Colour: -7
    Tint: 9
    Colour Temp: Low
    Sharpness: -10
    Black: Off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭6digitnumber

Those setting work kind of crappy for me. I suppose it's different for everyones livingroom lighting though!

Anyone else care to post their settings ?

Also interested in what best hdmi output to use for Xbox 360 - RGB or one of the YCbCr settings.

Plus if anyone at all has tried this with a Wii I would love to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Anyone else care to post their settings ?
    +1 - I'd like to get good SD settings for this TV

also

Currys have the 37" at €950 this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭TheBigEvil

That does look like a very sweet offer. I've been thinking of getting a Samsung LE37R87BDX because it gets great marks for its standard definition performance, can anyone tell me what this Sharp TV is like with standard def?

Be careful of that one, Father-in-law bought the 32" Samsung a while back and standard def picture is not great. From what I've seen of the Samsungs, the excel better in the high def end than the standard def end.

I bought a Sony 32V2500 a couple of months ago, and the standard def picture is excellent off it. Amazing to see its more expensive now than when I got it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

Qwerty? wrote: »
    +1 - I'd like to get good SD settings for this TV

also

Currys have the 37" at €950 this weekend.

Where did you see that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

my folks said they saw it in a newspaper flier.

• Advertisement

If it's available at €950.. buy it ASAP!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭ALS

Defo €949 in currys this weekend I saw the ad in newspaper today......stock levels ?? DID seem to have some excellent deals on at the mo as well..

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

RGB is better and should provide much more vibrant colour

Do you have a link to backup what you said about RGB being better ? After doing a bit of googling it would appear it depends. RGB is fine but alot of movies are encoded in YcB so that is preferred over RGB if you want to watch them as intended by the maker. While RGB is recommended as output from the PC. Personally I don't see how RGB is more vibrant colour wise then the alternatives. To be honest I can't tell the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 joeg

They had seven left after I got mine and thought they might be getting in two more. Connected it up briefly to test it was working and it seems nice. Won't have time to set it up properly and test it until closer to the holidays so I can't really comment on picture quality etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Akula

Anybody know how to toggle overscanning while using VGA connection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭ice27

Hi , I just bought a Sony KDL40-V29000 in Sony Centre for €1299 (40"). Full HD 1080P. I have to say I am well pleasewd with it and think that at the moment this is one of the best delas around for a TV of this size and Spec. Its for all intents and purposes the same spec as a KDL40-W2000 except its havs the frame of the V series which i think is nicer anyway!

I know its €300 more but in my opinion its a better TV. I got mine in teh Sony Centre Cork! the same spec machine will cost you over €200 more with Komplett, delivery charges etc. Just thought id let people know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

Thanks Ice

Does it come with any bundle or package

ie by the time you buy the stand are you up to Eur1600 ?

Some comments on this model
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=54493609

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭ice27

banchang wrote: »
    Thanks Ice

Does it come with any bundle or package

ie by the time you buy the stand are you up to Eur1600 ?

Some comments on this model
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=54493609

Hi banchang!

No the T.V has its own table top stand so it can be put on a sideboard, table etc no prob! I dont know how much the big glass display units are to be honest as I always feel they take up too much space anyway. I think you can get a wall mount for less then €100 if you want on ebay or something. I have mine up on a side board and it fits perfectely. I am well chuffed with it!

I should add i have been mulling around looking to buy a T.V for the last year and finally bit the bullet! I have not been dissapointed and I have yet to watch some 1080p content on it (full HD). I have to get a blu ray player or capable DVD player first. I did watch the Earth series (David Attenborough) on DVD upscaled to 1080i yesterday and the quality was amazing!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭TVDX

Is this still available in Currys?.
    If not on the shelves, can it be ordered in?.

Advertisement