should organic chicken smell strongly? - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

20-09-2007, 11:24   #1
StormWarrior

should organic chicken smell strongly?

I just got my first ever packet of organic chicken, and it doesn't smell nice at all. It smells really pungent, nothing like the antibiotic fed chicken i usually eat. Is organic chicken meant to smell so strong, or is it off?
Advertisement
21-09-2007, 07:57   #2
The Hill Billy
Up the junction

Fresh meat of any description shouldn't smell.
Game is the only meat that should smell & that's not fresh.
I'd err on the side of caution - particularly where poultry is concerned - & return it.
22-09-2007, 14:37   #3
cookiequeen

defo, haul that chicken ass back!!
22-09-2007, 18:50   #4
The Sweeper
Patience, grasshoppa

Send a message via MSN to The Sweeper
If your chicken is off you'll know all about it. They stink. Also look for unpleasant tinges of grey. /me shudders.

I've had this happen to me with an organic chicken and it's nothing to do with the organic end of things. It's the bloody price - they're more expensive so they don't move off the shelves as quickly as the cheap crap. Next time you're buying one, go for the furthest-away best before date you can find.

Trust me, when they're fresh as you can get 'em, organic free range wins hands down over battery reared.
22-09-2007, 19:26   #5
Supercell
Happy :)

Depends on your sense of smell.
All raw chicken stinks to high heaven (to me..my sense of smell is pretty strong) . That said some chicken smells stronger than others and some smell different - not stronger or weaker - different.
If that different smells a little bit like your bin..then throw it out, otherwise just cook it properly and you'll be fine.
Advertisement
24-09-2007, 09:38   #6
Minder

I have found that organic chicken can be a bit gamey in flavour - but there is a difference between a gamey smell and meat that has turned. I stopped buying organic chickens if I was not cooking the bird on the same night as purchase. I complained to my local supermarket that their organic birds were too long in shelf life - they sent me £30 in vouchers to shut me up. Thanks Waitrose !! After that, if I had any doubts, the bird went back and was always replaced without fuss.

I found the same thing was happening with prepacked organic bacon. The shelf life ran to weeks - but the meat turned long before the date expired.

If in doubt take it back !!!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion