Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bewley's Ballsbridge - haunted?

Options
  • 27-08-2007 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭

Heard a very interesting story tonight, wondering if anyone has any background of info

A friend of mine's brother & family were staying in Bewley's Ballsbridge recently. The two kids are aged 4 & 6. The dad settled them for the night & went off to sleep in an adjoining part of the room( it was one of those big family rooms).

Anyway, about 3 in the morning, the littlest one wakes up, a little upset & angry that someone has been pulling the blankets off her & she's cold. The Dad settles her & goes back to bed.

About ahalf hour later her sister wakes up crying that someone was holding a pillow over her face:eek:

So there's no one but the family in the room, the door is locked so no one came in

Does anyone know the history of the building before it became a hotel? I've found that it was once a Masonic Girl's orphanage (which was bought by RDS in 1972)

Ladybird

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

That does sound interesting. One or the other thing might easily be put down to a bad dream, but the both in quick succession less so.

There's something on the very tip of my brain, but I can't quite get at it, I'm almost sure this hotel has been mentioned here before for something very similar. I've tried searching for it, but, well, the search is of little use at the moment. I had a quick look for history of the building but the only extra part I came across is that it was owned by the Royal Dublin Society after being a Masonic School. (ref)

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Aisling&M

I've never stayed there but in passing I get a feeling that there is more energy in that building than you would expect. Vague I know, but that is the only way I know to describe it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Stayed there 3 times once for Ozzfest to see Slayer, another on the piss in dub ( bloody city center hotels were totally full ) and another for a rugby match, never had any weird experiences in there at all.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I stayed there too, nothing odd to report, apart from the door kept opening by itself, which I put down to a dodgy lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Heard a similar experience from Jurys ballsbridge a few years back and I even think it was posted on here. Something to do with the ghost of a little girl.

Have been around that Bewleys a fair bit and never felt anything out of sorts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭ladybirdirl

Hmmm.... thanks all

Aisling it's interesting you mention about the 'energy', I always feel uncomfortable around there too, had never heard any concrete stories before now though

What piques my interest is that the kids are so little, they would have no reference from movies/stories for thinking 'this is what I should say if I want to get my dad in here':)

I've had a search on google and it seems it was either a masonic school or orphanage- the latter would lead you to think there might be something to it

Interesting though, must keep an eye on it

Ladybird

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

It was in the past a Masonic School and AFAIK would have also operated as an orphanage at the same time. Children of deceased or (financially) distressed mason who have been educated there, it may have also been open to the general public; I'm not sure of that either way.

I thought it was the old Masonic boys school, but since both the boys and girls schools had different address' at different times it's hard to say. I'll be down in Molesworth St, next Wednesday, so I'll ask around at that stage and see if anyone may know of any stories regarding unusal happenings in the place.

Advertisement