Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sopranos FINALE

Options
  • 19-07-2007 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

What?????? Oh nooooooooooo!!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭walt0r

Yeah I know it sucked ass. There will be a movie I'd say. Doubt he is actually dead. At least I got to watch it in the actual bada bing in new jersey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

That was absolute rubbish :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

i watched the last 10 minutes with my heart in my mouth, more butterflies in my stomach than ive had on first dates, but all for ****ing nothing

there has to be a film now, that was absolute ****e, 9 years ive watched that show, and it ends, with the soprano family, eating ****ing onion rings, onion rings, them scaldy,. smelly, stinky little pieces of grease ****

im not a happy camper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I thought it was great. :p
    Oh well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Sandor wrote:
    I thought it was great. :p
    Oh well!

you must be a big fan of onion rings so?

buffalo wings i could understand, but bloody onion rings,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

It may grow on you, I saw it weeks ago, at first I thought meh, but now I like it.

I really don't think there will be a movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Genius , the tension build , the song , " Dont stop" the final two words , and then nothing , no one expected that , thats for sure , Im glad it didnt end in typical hollywood shootout , when I think about it , that was one of the best endings to a series ever !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

i liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

It wasnt exactly Ross and Rachel getting back together :D

eoin5 wrote:
    It wasnt exactly Ross and Rachel getting back together :D

No, thankfully not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

David Chase has pretty much flatly stated that there will not be a movie. That's it - there is no more to come.

Check around the web for extremely mixed reactions - televisionwithoutpity has a 250+ page thread on it, for example where some people lambast it whereas other find meaning in every single frame (e.g. onion rings = communion wafers).

My favourite take on it is this Onion article though :D - Obviously, it's got spoilers in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 millymolly

tension=good,cat=good,onion rings=good,music=good. i really liked it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

tbh, i'm still processing it - too early to give a definite reaction

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

I thought it was good, lots of tension, left guessing. Only a simpleton would want a big Hollywood-explosions-drama-courtroom type ending.

Enjoy it, you're lefting guessing. Whats wrong with a bit of mystery?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭aequinoctium

at first i thought that rte had completely ****ed up transmission...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,517 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Loved the ending - tension filled final scene - just another day for the Sopranos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭58o

can someone post up exactly what happened at the end. RTE2 blacked out as meadow was crossing the road and a few seconds later the coverage returned and the credits were on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,335 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

58o wrote:
    can someone post up exactly what happened at the end. RTE2 blacked out as meadow was crossing the road and a few seconds later the coverage returned and the credits were on.

Err, that was it.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Final scene: http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=rnT7nYbCSvM

I think the Tony was shot. Heres why:

Every now and then throughout the scene, the camera switches to Tony's point of view, his exact sight. When hes choosing a song, when he walks in, and especially whenever anyone walks in the door. The guy goes into the bathroom behind Tony. When Tony looks up to see Meadow walk in the door, it should switch to his point of view as it did when everyone else walks in. Instead, it turns black. I think the guy came from out of the bathroom and shot Tony.

Its also worth noting that there were so many Godfathers references throughout The Sopranos. The guy goes into the bathroom before the end. In The Godfathers, the guy has a gun planted in the bathroom.... same thing happens here.

Another side note thats interesting, the guy who walks into the bathroom is listed in the cast credits as 'Guy in Members Club jacket'. I think it was in the previous season in an episode called Members Only that Tony got shot.

Thats my thoughts....

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I liked the ending. I don't think he's dead myself. The series is primarily about his concerns for his family and at the end Meadow arrives and so his family are safe and sound and the journey goes on. ;)

• Advertisement

Archimedes wrote:

listed in the cast credits as 'Guy in Members Club jacket'. I think it was in the previous season in an episode called Members Only that Tony got shot.

Thats my thoughts....

Ok, this has been done to death, and is apparently bull.

With that said, I think its most likely he got wacked, but they will never say either way. That's the whole idea with the ending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 gilli

by the way has ray foley been pluggin that journey song for weeks on today fm? did I miss something here? what is with that song????
    The more i think about it the more I like the ending because from the start of the episode you're thinking whats going to happen.
    I thought the meadow bad parking thing was great too.
    What is going on with journey though???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,956 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

I'm still not sure cos i missed some due to my friend ringing me, ill have to find a way to watch it again, thought net2 had cut out as well, like channel 4 did when derren brown did that Russian roulette show

Also, didnt Tony say, when talking about death "I bet its like cutting to black"....thats proof enough for me.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

The-Rigger wrote:
    Ok, this has been done to death, and is apparently bull.

With that said, I think its most likely he got wacked, but they will never say either way. That's the whole idea with the ending.

yeah it's all over the web, not saying that archimedes was just posting what everyone has been saying for months. but they overdid the hints imo, the thing with tony wearing the same shirt as in the members only episode when he last got shot is too much imo. in the end they just took the easy business decision of leaving most of the main players alive for whatever the future may hols..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lazare

Archimedes wrote:

I think the Tony was shot. Heres why:

Every now and then throughout the scene, the camera switches to Tony's point of view, his exact sight. When hes choosing a song, when he walks in, and especially whenever anyone walks in the door. The guy goes into the bathroom behind Tony. When Tony looks up to see Meadow walk in the door, it should switch to his point of view as it did when everyone else walks in. Instead, it turns black. I think the guy came from out of the bathroom and shot Tony.

Its also worth noting that there were so many Godfathers references throughout The Sopranos. The guy goes into the bathroom before the end. In The Godfathers, the guy has a gun planted in the bathroom.... same thing happens here.

Another side note thats interesting, the guy who walks into the bathroom is listed in the cast credits as 'Guy in Members Club jacket'. I think it was in the previous season in an episode called Members Only that Tony got shot.

Thats my thoughts....

This makes lots of sense, I'd say you're spot on.

Well its not my theory, just what I believe after reading up on other theories.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Personally, I believe it's a lot simpler - the scene shows the constant sense of fear and tension that Tony lives in. He's constantly looking around, expecting a hit from some angle and sees a potential assassin everywhere, especially resulting from the fracas with PTSB.

None of that means he's dead, but more that he expects he might be. As was also pointed out elsewhere, he's learnt nothing and has not achieved any real personal growth - the last half a season was filled with him reverting to being a violent thug and people cutting themselves off from him as they realized what he was (e.g. Melfi).

With his future looking like a heavy prison sentence (as Carmela said), I think the sad fact is that Tony was looking at a sad, fearful existence before a long spell in jail and that is far more fitting for him than any glory to be gained from a hitman's bullet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

I've not seen many episodes of the show, seen a few and thought it class so decided to watch in future as dvds. I found The West Wing a very enjoyable show that way. Decided I should see the end seeing as it would be unavoidable (how many seasons is there? so great weekends in me thinks)

And I had seen the hillary Clinton skit - which I thought quite clever in the context of american politics.

anyways

my wee thoughts

I don't think there could be a better ending there was voilence but it didn't descend into carnage - it seems to end in a lull if anything .

for some reason i thought that guy was shadowing the son - like a bodyguard.

loved the music, the parking scene - eas kinda expecting a shooting scene either on the street or inside and missed by her while parking

the onion rings - holy communuion thing - i didnt think communion but it was very obviously ritual how each were shown eating the rings .

I dunno if he died...... is it siginificant - seemed to me the show was about realising in some way it was over anyways , whether he died, was indited etc.

Don't some shows end with silent credits when there has been a death or even as a reference to real death ?(eg frasier when the producer died in 9/11)

I watched goodfellas again last week end and i suspect rewatching the finale any number of references to the classics will pop up

the guy going to the toilet i think angles wise etc it just made me empathise with how on edge Tony would be .

I actually thought the car/smoke scene was the best kind of intelligent humour .

Advertisement