Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Article: PDs ask Harney to resume leadership

Options
  • 27-05-2007 10:58am
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Did they toss a coin or what?
    from here...
    The Progressive Democrats devastated by their poor election showing today revealed Mary Harney has been asked to resume the party leadership.

The outgoing Health Minister stood down as PD leader last September allowing her former Dáil colleague Michael McDowell to take over.

But the junior coalition partners were left considering the future of the party after only two of its eight TDs held their seats.

And the party revealed today Ms Harney has been asked to take on the leadership once again.

“Given the present circumstances, the chairman of the Progressive Democrats Peter Wyer has asked the Minister for Health and Children, Mary Harney, to assume the functions and responsibilities of party leader until the formation of the next Government,” the PDs said.

It was a disastrous General Election for the party.

The highest profile casualty was outgoing Tánaiste and Justice Minister Mr McDowell who lost his seat in Dublin South-East prompting him to quit politics.

That blow was soon followed by Liz O’Donnell’s loss in Dublin South, Tom Parlon in Laois/Offaly, Fiona O’Malley in Dun Laoghaire, Tim O’Malley in Limerick and Mae Sexton in Meath.

Ms Harney was PD leader between 1993 and 2006.

She is currently the longest-serving female member of Dáil after first taking a seat for Fianna Fáil in 1981.

The PDs were formed 22 years ago by Des O’Malley, splitting from Fianna Fáil then led by Charles Haughey.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

Damn and here was me thinking I was a shoo in for the leadership. I mean I know I am not a T.D but they can hardly be picky now can they.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Shouldn't that title read "PD asks Harney to be leader" unless she is talking to herself as well :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Would an impending marriage be in the air. The Bride, Mary and the Groom Fianna Fail?

Then a possible Mr and Mrs Ahern moving to the vice regal lodge in the park?

Watch this space;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭AidoCQS

kbannon wrote:
    Did they toss a coin or what?
    from

:D:D:D:D Brilliant

gandalf wrote:
    Shouldn't that title read "PD asks Harney to be leader" unless she is talking to herself as well :D

Hey talking to yourself is OK.. as long as you dont fall out with yourself :D

Seriously though, they should pack it in now, FF has aped their policy's anyway so they have no reason for seperation. Just go back grovelling to FF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Don;t write the PDs off just yet. McDowell is gone, they're entering Government - I wouldn't be too hasty in saying that they're finished.

The only problem is that they don't have much of a ground structure, and it will certainly be very difficult to entice new members over the next five years. They do claim to be the entrepreneurs of politics, so let this be a test for them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

thier should be a large demographic out there whos natural home is with the pd,s , thier are many people out there who are libertarians , who work in the private sector , believe in competition and deregulaton , less state intervention yet are not bothered about what the church thinks on issues like gay unions or other social issues
    theese kind of people one would think should be attracted to the pd,s

unfortunatly in ireland we are extremley traditional when it comes to voting
    the vast majority of people vote for whoever thier parents and grandparents voted for so the pd,s are at a disadvantage there as thier too young to have any real tradition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭strassenwolf

Does this all mean that Noel Grealish is likely to become the deputy leader?:p

Advertisement