Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silat Training now available in Blanchardstowm

Options
  • 26-03-2007 8:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭

Silat Training is now avaialable in Blanchardstown, with the opening of our 5th Dublin Club. Training will cover empty hands and weapon training. The teacher of the class is Jonathan O' Neill who is a excellent teacher with many years experience in weapon training. If any one would to attend or like more info you can contact Jonathan 087 2870505 or check the website www.silateurope.com. We currently in planning to open two more clubs during the summer in the adamstown and blackrock area, so if you living in these areas and you might be interested give me a call or PM.

Liam

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Seraph

hi liam, im not really a reg user of this forum but just happ to check it there and saw that alot of the same ol "rows" are still goin on. Boys will be Boys!
    was just wonderin if u could clear something up for me then maybe it might help to clear it up for other people...i saw the clip on www.silateurope.com at the start of a bunch of guys doin their stuff? now im not digging but was just wonderin if u could explain what this stuff is...ie sparring, drills, forms or just u guys out at a rave somewhere? sorry i shouldnt have said that.:)
    no realy im just curious as to weather yer training is like some other weapons based systems just drill/pattern based or if ye train with resisting opponents?
    the reason i ask is that iv been thinking of maybe tryin something new but yers looks very different to other silat styles thats iv seen on youtube etc...mind u alot of it looks pretty pants!

and now with reference to other people talking about the reality/fiction of magick i dont know if its real or not?? but was wondering if u or ur teacher is able to use it? cause in my opinion IF IT IS REAL i know id want to be ale to use it...but instead of bats id prefer to have bullets fly outta my mouth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Ballisong

Hi Seraph, just wondering what your experience is in martial arts and what Silat clips your referring to on Youtube? I have to agree that a lot of the Silat clips posted up there are pretty "pants". Have you checked out any of the Wali Songo Pencak Silat clips that are floating around the net, they look pretty impressive to me but it's hard to tell with out actually training with those guys. In my opinion a lot of what makes a system/style/combat sport effective is they're mindset not just the techniques it teaches. Sparring or playing is a vital part of any training BUT it's not everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭BLUNT

Ballisong or Seraph..........I'm an ole friend of Dave Joyces,my names J.I've studyed WaliSongo Silat under Steven Benitez for about seven years now.I havent learnt as a long distance student or form videos.I used to stay at his house monthly for years,then I lived in the gym... taught and trained openly and privatly with Steven and his family.....sooooooooooooo I'm at moment working with a young fella called Ross ( a very talented young man and a true gent ) he will be comen to London,to stay with me and my wife to be and be taught by Steven and Alvin,what is now Satria Fighting arts.As we learn more than just Silat at EWS....Gulat ( Indonesian wrestling ) Enam Belas Pukul ( Badoee fighting arts ) and older verdic arts.Along with an other friend of mine Danny in Belfast would show WaliSongo Silat....no worries.As there will be a Satria fighting arts school in Newry with in the next five months but if you contact me pawo_1@yahoo.com we could maybe meet up at the SEAMA school in Galway some time ? I'ed show you,grappling-weapon's-what ever as in a true living tradition,ole skool way....all day long.I come to Ireland twice a month now............so I'm always ready to go and teach.All the best J

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Michael O Leary

Hi Liam,:)

Good luck to yourself and Jonathan with the new school. I am sure it will be a success. I have been teaching in Blanchardstown for 3 years and it is only in the last few months that I am getting regular good numbers down. I have spent a lot of time advertising and doing some research so if I can be any help let me know. Does Jonathan have a venue lined up yet?

Best regards,

Michael
    www.iewto.org

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭silat liam

Hi Seraph

Whats on the video clip, is really a short demo of movement thats in our style of Cimande. In silat there are many different styles and since the website was set up, we were getting lots of questions from different silat style asking us what made our style different to their style we thought a video clip would allow them to see and make up their own minds. I've been learning silat for the past 22 years, and still enjoying every day of it.

On the question of training with resisting and non resisting partners, when it comes to empty hands students progress to non resisting partners. The whole ideal of Cimande is to develop the fighter not the style. Each student has his own journey and through combat experiences he will develop his natural strengths and skills to make his combat skills unique and personal to him. However through all students there should be a thread of movement which is cimande, this is the flavour of the art.

When it comes to weapons you cant go as far as full contact with non resisting partners with many students as we use live weapons with the senior guys so there is a danger. We have develop the art the best we can to keep it real. Our weapon skills and empty hands is the same system of movement. However with weapons like stick or other wooden weapons you can go abit furthur. We dont have many technical drills, but instead spend time working in combat ranges.

I have to agree with you, there are some really terrible clips on youtube, but at the same time there are some goods one, Silat has such a range of arts under it banner, that you really need to look around and find a style that suits your need and requiremnts and a teacher who will develop you in the way you want.

Seraph to answer your question about the magick aspects of Silat. The vast amount of enjoyment,fun and your continual development inside of Silat is truely magickal. The spark that you will see inside the art, or overcoming a difficult training aspect wheither in Silat or your own style thats the magick. Different teachers have different ideals of what they call the magickal parts of their training. To me its the change of the student from the one who walks in the door, to the student who trains hard and mature into a good silat player.

If you want to give it a go some time let me know and you be more than welcome. There are classes on all the time or you can along and attend a workshop.

Hope this helps.

Liam

• Advertisement

Hi Jason
    Good to see you on the scene again. Good luck with the club in Newry. How things going in London Jason? I'm Just back from there. We now have some students of the wali songo group from Steven club who are now training Cimande with us. Real nice bunch of guys. They were telling me some good interesting silat stories and insights into their previous training.

Keep up the good work its good to see Silat developing in Ireland and UK. Hopefully we meet up some day and have a yarn..

Liam

Yeah still sloggen away,if I knew you were over in London I'ed have met up for coffee or something,as it's a great place to eat in.Loads of differnt flavours to pick from,just like Silat.Or I could come after one of your work shops,to say hello....if you have time ? Still tryen to get every one together at one stage including the MMA guyz to do an open course and show what we of the south eastern m.a have to offer.As I'm sure you wouldnt mind haven a roll with any of them,as you study Hariamu....or maybe even putten them through a conditionen session....All the best with club your self,and if? I can get this go'en, as in a course on s.e.m.a I'll drop a line on the boards.All the best J

Yeah still sloggen away,if I knew you were over in London I'ed have met up for coffee or something,as it's a great place to eat in.Loads of differnt flavours to pick from,just like Silat.Or I could come after one of your work shops,to say hello....if you have time ? Still tryen to get every one together at one stage including the MMA guyz to do an open course and show what we of the south eastern m.a have to offer.As I'm sure you wouldnt mind haven a roll with any of them,as you study Hariamu....or maybe even putten them through a conditionen session....All the best with club your self,and if? I can get this go'en, as in a course on s.e.m.a I'll drop a line on the boards.All the best J

Sure no problem, we arrange a time and we can meet up, it be good to finally meet. Just back from the weekend from Ballymena in the north and we had a few of MMA guys attend the workshop. At the end of the workshop they were telling me they had a brilliant time, and looking forward to the next one. They found especially with the harimau aspects of cimande that we had alot more in common than they originally thought especially when it came to grappling. On the sunday we had a section of the day where the students could spar / play / roll combining all groundwork training against single opponents than multiple opponents. So everyone had a chance to train with each other and learn from it, which is the way it should be.

Best wishes to your teacher.

Liam

We've met before you were teaching Philli stuff I think up in wigmore ( I think it was called ) in the North,along with Terry Barnet of JKD and John+Pat of Philli along with Frankie Mc Conville doing Thai....it was a day of training with the Guro'z ? Years ago,when i was doing Thai arts and a wee bit of Silat with Frankie...it was in some washed out barn.All the best J

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

Hey Liam,

On holiday in LA at the mo so didn't read this thread but nice work. Am back on Thursday can you PM me your number and a decent time to chat. Only a 5-10 min call,

Cheers,
    Colm

BLUNT wrote:
    We've met before you were teaching Philli stuff I think up in wigmore ( I think it was called ) in the North,along with Terry Barnet of JKD and John+Pat of Philli along with Frankie Mc Conville doing Thai....it was a day of training with the Guro'z ? Years ago,when i was doing Thai arts and a wee bit of Silat with Frankie...it was in some washed out barn.All the best J

Hi Jason

Jees its a reall small world, that brings back memories. I remember that well. You 're right wigmore was the place. It was a weird training situation, weather let us down, on one side of the barn, the cows were fence in. I have that some where on video. My lasting memory of that was Pat on some type of go kart racing around at 2am in the barn waving a kali stick. Anyway good to know we met in the past. We talk again soon...

Liam

Hi Liam,:)

Good luck to yourself and Jonathan with the new school. I am sure it will be a success. I have been teaching in Blanchardstown for 3 years and it is only in the last few months that I am getting regular good numbers down. I have spent a lot of time advertising and doing some research so if I can be any help let me know. Does Jonathan have a venue lined up yet?

Best regards,

Michael
    www.iewto.org

Hi Michael
    Thanks for your message and offer of help, I hope to get in touch with you soon. The venue for the class is Scoil Bhride Boys, Church Avenue, Blanchardstown, D15 (For any one travelling out from Dublin its on the Number 38 / 39 bus route) the classes are Sundays 12pm to 1.15pm. . Hopefully we meet up some day soon.

All the best.

Liam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Seraph

Hi Ballisong, Blunt,
    my own experience with martial arts is tbh not that great, studied karate for few years n did a bit of judo...im in Oz at the moment but prob be back in ireland around May. Ballisong i saw the Atienza clips n they look pretty intense? agree with what u say about the importance of Healthy Mindset... was just wondering would yer style be effective against Silat's knife work for instance??
    Liam thanks for ur reply and ur invite...hopefully when im back n im injury free ill might be able to make a class. Blunt was just wondering if ur style and Liams Cimande are the same...if students in London are training in both systems? Also has silat got an empty hand side to it or is it predominately weapons based? iv seen many people say silat is for multiple opponents but most of the clips on the net are always 1 to 1!
    Seems like silat is really starting to grow in Ireland was just wondering do many of the everyday "Jo Soaps" know about it. I saw u mention a seminar ye did "training with the Guros" would there maybe be a possibility of this happening again because i for one would be interested in attending...could view both styles in the one place? maybe even Ballisong could show his stuff.
    Just wondering Liam how do ye spar with live blades :eek: ...do people not get cut???

Actions speak louder than words as regards to what is what.A student is normaly some one who has trained for 3 years at least with a teacher and your sort of taken seriously at 7....Hopefully like i said there will be something go'en shortly ? I've to talk to Dave Joyce about hopefully haven a course in his place and try to get all the flavours of south eastern m.a there and raise a bit of fundz for the needy at the same time.I'ed say have a look at the history of the Srivijaya Kingdom and you'll see that Sumatra area was like a melting pot of art's,religion and people.I can only say that people make styles and that styles make fights....basicly its not the style that can make a great fighter/warrior its the person them selves.So I dont think any art has the right to say it is the best but some arts suit other people better....like there is a Sumatren style that would not suit any one,who isnt at the top of the physical game.How ever if you werent very physical by nature there are other sytems/styles that suit and on top of that as you age your art becomes gentler and smarter even such arts as Hariamu ( Tiger ) then injures can make you change too,climate and enviroment too.What you should see if the course goes ahead,is a comen thread,good thai arts,can look like good Indo arts and good Indo arts can look like Phillie arts,then good Philli arts can look good Thai arts and the circle is complete......fighten is fighten...J

Hi Seraph

When you make it back from Oz you be more than welcome. Jason cover much of the answers in his last message, and I agree with all that he said. To answer about the same Cimande, we would share alot of similarities and combat principles, but they would be subtle differences. I've actually study 3 different variations of Cimande and a number of sub systems of Cimande over the past decade. There is a thread of movement which all styles of Cimande have, but depending on the teacher different areas may be focus more than others. As Jason said you may find one style suits you better than another, one which you enjoy, which means in the long run, you're stick to it better and learn it.

In the style of Cimande Silat I teach we focus evenly on both empty hands and weapons, but they are the same movement, we dont have a way of fighting for empty hands and another for weapons. It is the same. There is however a strong focus on multiple attackers.

The Guru seminar in the North was something I hosted back in the early 90's in the North, bringing together different aspects of the South East Asian Fighting arts under one banner, so students could come along and experience the great benefits and see the common ground. I'm in plans at the moment to bring some of the best opponents in a similar enviroment of these arts to Ireland in a big promotions to help the arts become more establish. Silat is growing big time in Ireland, along with Uk and Europe, and we opening our first USA branch later this year so with that comes alot of work. So if all works out well we can get something going.

Liam

Hi Seraph, to answer your question
    was just wondering would yer style be effective against Silat's knife work for instance??

Are you asking would the Atienza knife beat the Silat knife, then that depends I think from person to person and they're skill level and they're mindset as in Atienza Kali we learn to fight "fighter types" not particular styles. I've seen a little bit of the Silat that Jason studies through one of his students in Galway and I've seen that it blends beautifully with both Atienza and Sayoc Kali as I think all martial arts should.

If your asking would Atienza Kali as a whole be effective against Silat knife, Atienza also covers firearms and various projectile weapons, so if I was allowed a gun I'd feel a little bit more confident against a Silat guy holding a knife :D. After saying that though, the Atienza Tuhons have been working with some of New Yorks FBI swat team members, showing them how to tap against a knife wielding attacker while drawing your firearm as many of New Yorks LEOs were not able to draw their weapon in time against gang members who carriy blades and were getting stabbed.

There has been talk of holding a two day seminar in Dave's club in Galway for charity, show casing SOUTH EAST ASIAN martial arts, including Thai, Filipino and Indonesian martial arts. I know Jason, Dave and myself are up for it hopefully Liam is too. Then everyone can come along to share and learn from each other, ain't that the point of doing what we do.

Like Blunt said "fighten is fighten"

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Michael O Leary

Ballisong wrote:
    After saying that though, the Atienza Tuhons have been working with some of New Yorks FBI swat team members, showing them how to tap against a knife wielding attacker while drawing your firearm as many of New Yorks LEOs were not able to draw their weapon in time against gang members who carriy blades and were getting stabbed.

Hi Ballisong,

I have heard that the FBI did tests and that in order to successfully draw your gun and fire against someone running towards you with a blade they need to be at least 6 metres away.

Regards,

Michael
    www.iewto.org

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭SorGan

Hi Ballisong,

I have heard that the FBI did tests and that in order to successfully draw your gun and fire against someone running towards you with a blade they need to be at least 6 metres away.

Regards,

Michael
    www.iewto.org

...without taping

Well it looks like this is all heading in a positive direction.Hopefully by mid to end of April i should have a date for the course and if you'ed like to see where the money raised would be go'en to please have a look at www.buddhaslostchildren.com .The man with the tat's is my friends Arajan,he really is a special guy and uses all he knows only to protect,educate and feed the children.So hopefully there should be arts with weapons,empty hand and grappling ( as I study too forms of gulat from Indonesia ) along with both sport and traditional arts all from South East Asia.We all have something to offer,something to bring to the table.At the end of the day,we are all blessed to turn on a tap and water comes out,open the fridge and there is food in it....a lot of the children,where theses grest arts come from dont even have a roof over there heads.So its time to give something back..........all the best J

• Advertisement

Back to the blade...a lot of the island arts art all similar.I'm very friendly with some Philli families who come from good stock of blade fighters and they say that a lot of Mindanao arts are of Silek ( to defend ones self ) in origin.Some arts I have a liken for have been moved about by a boat people of South East Asia,these guyz fought with spikes on there shoulder,elbow and knee.They also used a kind of fishen net,with hook's at the end....they throw this over you and basicly done "Grab knee" now the Thai's used this method too....they had a krembit ( sumatran weapon ),attached to there elbow ( on the shield arm ) and on the opposite knee...soooooooooo what i'm sayen and what i can prove is that MMA is as old,as the Sun..its all been done before...on a battlefield,not in a ring.People traveled and traded with every one and there da.There is even an Indian style of sword play...that is the same as Krabbi Krabong....so like I said it should be a good day or two to island hop around these arts..............Respects to one n all J

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭scuttery1

That's the famous / controversial "21 foot rule".
    It's predicated on a knife wielding assailant being able to cover 21 feet in less time than it takes an officer to unholster their weapon, aim and fire.

A lot of police forces are in the process of re evaluating this rule and their is a large input form FMA systems like Sayoc Kali, Atienza Kali & Inayan eskrima all focusing training the officer to survive the initial assault and then deploy their weapon. Here's a clip of some pekiti tersia guys doing their thang.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqdC-OJTm9M

Hi Ballisong,

Regards,

That may be true but any decent knife guy and from what the FBI swat guys were telling me last November, most of the gang guys they encounter that would carry blades are extremely efficient, are not going to show you the blade until the last possible moment, so they need to be able to deal with that blade while drawing their side arm, taking the safety off and taking aim, trust me this is not as easy as it sounds :D .
    they had a krembit ( sumatran weapon ),

Hi Jason, is this similar to the Kerambit?

Advertisement