Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masonic Building in Letterkenny

Options
  • 18-12-2006 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know whats goin on here?
    The building in question is the old, delapitated one next to an Grianan (on the same side of the road). I only noticed a couple of weeks ago the symbol above the door:

Here

For anyone thats doesnt know, information on the freemasons can be found Here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Yeah, I noticed that years ago. Didn't understand the symbol at the time. Looks like the building hasn't been used in donkeys. Now, if you were to frequent a certain hostelry closeby a few years ago and it was closing time, well "night, knight" would've be an apt salutation. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 damokelly

I used to teach at Queens in Belfast with a couple of guys who were masons before moving back home to Letterkenny, and had to give them directions to the lodge about 5 years ago for a large meeting of local northern lodges. It looks like it's not been opened in decades, but I think that's intentional.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Is that the building that used to be referred to as "the Barkhall School"?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Im not sure what its proper name is..
    And im goin home for Xmas, but i'll get a picture of it up when i come back.

What's the story of the letter 'G' with the square and compass?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

i know that building. there were builders in there not so long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

What's the story of the letter 'G' with the square and compass?

Technically, the 'G' should not be used on the S&C. It stands for Geometry, or Geomatrician - a reference to the Supreme Being who all Masons must believe in . Doesn't matter who you think the Supreme Being is, whether it's Aliens seeding our planet with protein strands, or God, or Jehova ... once you believe, that's all they care about.

The G when used in conjunction with the S&C is usually only seen on Masonic Jewellery, and it denotes that the member has previously been in charge of his particular Lodge - an office respected by newer members.

ned78 wrote:
    Technically, the 'G' should not be used on the S&C. It stands for Geometry, or Geomatrician - a reference to the Supreme Being who all Masons must believe in . Doesn't matter who you think the Supreme Being is, whether it's Aliens seeding our planet with protein strands, or God, or Jehova ... once you believe, that's all they care about.

The G when used in conjunction with the S&C is usually only seen on Masonic Jewellery, and it denotes that the member has previously been in charge of his particular Lodge - an office respected by newer members.
    Thanks for that ned78. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Anytime mate ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭slogue

Weird looking building
    Remember passed it one nite after work in pub (prob about 5 years ago) and heard music coming from it
    Nobody else in sight
    Freaked the hell outta me, didn't know what it was

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 djDaithi

a deal was done for its redevelopment which would include shop units on the ground floor but I hear sorting out the legal paperwork has held it up. It is no longer used.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 michaelD1725

A dead thread at the moment but just a few things id like to say about the topic.

1) It has been fixed up on the outside and looks normal now but sill has the Free mason sign.
    2) It has an alarm system and caged windows.
    3) what iv always found interesting is it has a back entrance/parking lot (supposedly for theatre goers but I dont know)

I remember one night walking past it, there was lights on, music being played and what looked like a bouncer at the side entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,037 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Intriguing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

A dead thread at the moment but just a few things id like to say about the topic.

1) It has been fixed up on the outside and looks normal now but sill has the Free mason sign.
    2) It has an alarm system and caged windows.
    3) what iv always found interesting is it has a back entrance/parking lot (supposedly for theatre goers but I dont know)

I remember one night walking past it, there was lights on, music being played and what looked like a bouncer at the side entrance.

A building built to last.

Is it still used as a Masonic Lodge?

Was the back entrance not used to preserve a bit of anonymity?

I guess the alarm system and caged windows are common sense in this or any day and age. Especially when some chancers think there's something worth nicking inside, when 99 times out of 100, there won't be.

I used to live in a large town in England and now and again there would be nights when the lodge would meet and you'd see members dressed in tuxedos carrying leather bags and going in the back door way. Some carrying instruments and things. But I'm not sure what that was all about.

The Masons are becoming a lot more open about what goes on within the organisation, and I believe are keen to explain to people what they do.

I'm sure in the past they had to protect their work, whatever that is exactly, from the usual religious/sectarian bigotry that went on, and still goes on in this country to a lesser extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 j.wilkinson

I noticed this building 3 months ago as I was walking past, 2 weeks ago I walked past again and saw a light on inside of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,704 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Still in use as a Masonic lodge. They had it open to the public last year as part of Culture Night. Apparently there was a tour and talk about the history of the organisation in Donegal. I missed it but would certainly hope they do something similar this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

I noticed this building 3 months ago as I was walking past, 2 weeks ago I walked past again and saw a light on inside of it.

Was it a Thursday? That's supposed to be their night according to one of the guys I was chatting to in Dublin. You can get into the main one near Kildare Street on Culture Night, but I never knew the LK one opened for it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Jesus...its been over 10 years since i lived in letterkenny!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Still in use as a Masonic lodge. They had it open to the public last year as part of Culture Night. Apparently there was a tour and talk about the history of the organisation in Donegal. I missed it but would certainly hope they do something similar this year.

Was one of the huge number of people who visited on Culture Night and definitely the highlight of my night. If you get the chance do visit. Most interesting with a big emphasis on the charity work they do and they served very welcome tea and home baking to those of us traipsing around.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

I was parked outside it one evening and people started arriving and going in the majority in fact probably all the cars were NI Reg, just under a dozen men in total in their 50s and 60s all well dressed one man had a challis and robes with him similar to what a priest would use would love to see what actually goes on in their meetings

• Advertisement

cosanostra wrote: »
    .................... would love to see what actually goes on in their meetings

There's a youtue channel called "On The Level" has a selection of rituals. It's Australian so not sure how similar it is to what goes on in Ireland.
    Watching some of it I knew for sure I'd never be a mason, I just couldn't keep a straight face. Apologies to any masons on here.
    Anyway, link is HERE

echo beach wrote: »
    Was one of the huge number of people who visited on Culture Night and definitely the highlight of my night. If you get the chance do visit. Most interesting with a big emphasis on the charity work they do and they served very welcome tea and home baking to those of us traipsing around.

The Masonic Hall will be open to the public again this year on Culture Night, September 22nd, from 7-9pm. Well worth a visit.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Was there once another hall on that street? I remember it being tall and narrow with not much inside. Was at a bake sale in it about 25 years ago. Might have been an old Garda station?

There used to be a church hall further up towards the traffic lights, it's now an apartment block. I have an old photos of it somewhere, think I posted it already on another thread but I will again if you like.
    On the subject of old stations. The building that is now VP McMullin (spelling?) Solicitors beside the courthouse was originally No. 1 RIC Barrack. No. 2 Barrack became the Garda Station on Lower Main Street. and is now the Wolfe Tone bar

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Bump.

Its open this Friday evening, Culture Night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Bump.

Its open this Friday evening, Culture Night.

This will be the second time I miss it! Someone take pics

Maldesu wrote: »
    This will be the second time I miss it! Someone take pics

I wasn't around on Friday either, anybody get pics or information about the history of the Masons in Letterkenny?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

On a slightly related topic: "Letterkenny, Where the Winding Swilly Flows" is a great read: https://www.facebook.com/Letterkenny-Where-the-Winding-Swilly-Flows-460662010703943/ I messaged the author directly through that page to buy a copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I took a pic but there are strangers identifiable in it, and the Masons might not want me posting it anyway.

It was quite interesting. Downstairs has a kitchen and hall, like any church hall you'd see. Upstairs was the proper meeting room, with a raised platform going all the way round and pillars at intervals. There were some ceremonial chairs for the head honchos and a 19th century Bible on a table in the middle. A Mason (from another chapter) gave us some information on the symbols on the chairs and in the room, and there were leaflets on some of their charitable works around the place.

If it's open again next year, it's well worth a visit.

• Advertisement

Good picture on page 2 of today's Donegal News.

Advertisement