Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Ipod car link

Options
  • 09-12-2006 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭

I ordered one of these on Ebay - according to Fedex tracking it left the Philippines last night so should have it in the next few days:) . What I particularly like about it is that the steering wheel controls will work to control the Ipod. He also has them for other makes of car and a USB version too. I like the way he includes photos of compatible head units. He's very quick to answer all questions and has great feedback. There is a guy on Ebay selling them out of the UK but he's more expensive. There's a good video of how to accesses the Accord's (American version though) head unit.

Anyone else got one of these? I'll post here when I have a chance to fit it (will be a diy job).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Let us know how you get on. I didnt bother getting the ipod adapter for my jvc head unit because I read it was a pain contolling the ipod with the headunit when you're used to the clickwheel..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

The yoke I'm getting let's you choose between using the Ipod or the head unit/steering wheel controls. I'll probably use the steering wheel controls - less distracting and I'd rather keep the Ipod hidden - too many knackers about!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Am I right in thinking that you have to sacrifice your Accord's CD changer for this to work?

Apparently not - the in dash 6 changer will still work. It's in Paris now - I just love online tracking!

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭tvr

Looks good , to bad I am too lazy to the installation . how much would cause to get it installed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Hi,

I'm waiting on my http://www.dension.com/main.htm to come in, it's the same idea as the one you ordered... was supposed to be delivered on friday, but the courier fecked up... bought mine on ebay for about €70, which wasn't bad...

D

Couldn't find a honda denison one on eBay and was pretty expensive elsewhere.

Anyway my Ipod link arrived yesterday - very impressed with fedex shipping! Will probably get around to fitting it some time this week. I'll post my experiences with a few pictures too.

fedex.gif

Well I finally got around to fitting the audiolink.The bits supplied were the audiolink unit which had a wire attached to plug into the headunit. There was also another wire with a 8 pin mini din plug at one end (to plug into the other end audiolink unit) and a 3.5 mm jack plug and an ipod wire at the other end i.e. it was kind of "Y" shaped. There was quite a chunky bit of plastic where the wire split into the two different connectors (sorry but no pics of this and I'm not about to take everything out get some!)

It was a bit difficult accessing the underside of the headunit due to some stubborn clips on the panel below it. Once I got the panel off it was just a matter of plugging the supplied wire into the changer port. I figured the best place to keep my Ipod when I get one (hopefully soon if my wife has heeded my strong hints Re an 8 gig Nano for Christmas!) was on the tray in the arm rest. Unfortunately the wire from the audiolink to the Nano was a little on the short site for this particular location. In order to maximize the length I had to remove the cupholder (more clips but not as difficult as the last ones). This allowed me tho put the Audiolink box a bit nearer to the armrest.

I had to make quite a biggish hole in the base of the arm rest compartment to get the bit of plastic at the junction of the 3.5mm jack plug and Ipod connector wires through. It didn't make much difference in the end as the rubber mat in the base of the compartment completely covered the hole. Luckily the wire was just long enough to allow me to comfortable use the Ipod from my seat. While I was at it I also fitted a 4 way cigarette lighter adapter yoke - see pictures. Handy for charging phones, sat nav etc.

Strangely enough the 3.5mm jack wire was a lot shorter than the ipod wire I made a bit longer with a headphone adapter cable (my son has a little MP3 player he likes to use).

Now for some testing.

To select the audiolink you can just push the cd/aux button on the headunit or the mode button on the steering wheel. It appears as "CDC" on the headunit display (presumably stands for CD Changer). Sound via the 3.5mm jack was CD quality - steering wheel volume buttons worked fine. Next I tried out my sister-in-laws Ipod mini. Selecting disc 1 allowed the Ipod clickwheel to be used with the added bonus of vol and track control via the steering wheel controls. Disc 2, 3 etc selected playlists and stopped the clickwheel working ("OK to disconnect displayed" on the on Ipod) with track selection/vol via steering wheel control. Buttons on the headunit such as scan, >>, << worked as expected. The Ipod had 8 playlists on it all of which were accessible - I'll see if it will support a higher number when I get a chance. Changing to tuner/in dash cd changer paused the Ipod and when it was reselected it resumed play from where it left off - same went for turning the ignition on/off.

As far as I can see it charges the Ipod when the ignition is off - I haven't had a chance to see if there's a timer involved. Even if there isn't as far as I know the Ipod stops drawing current (except for a very negligible amount to run it's unlit LCD display) once the battery is fully charged.

I did have one hairy moment when the audiolink stopped working and the electrics went funny - turned out I'd accidentally left the heated seats on.

Anyway all in all I'm very pleased - fingers crossed the wife gets me that Nano!

ipod.jpg

display.jpg

cig.jpg

rest.jpg

Steering.jpg

Advertisement