Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DVD Player with USB Port recommendations

Options
  • 21-11-2006 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

Hi All,

Have lots of divx/xvid/avi files on external HD, and want to view them on tv.

Looking for a dvd player that will take the HD by usb. Any recommendations/bargains about?

Any prblems with this kind of set up?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Hi Folks,

Anyone got any recommendations on these?

- Last time I looked [6 months ago approx.] they all seemed to be USB 1.1 interfaces with associated reviews giving out about poor playback/stuttering etc.

a Dvd player that is up to playing back a feature length movie via USB 2.0 or SD card etc. would be sweet :D

Regards,

Raiser

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭bravo

In Lidl from Thurs 30th Nov with USB 2

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20061130.p.HighendDVDPlayer

I aim to get into the queue!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

def getting one of these - missed last two runs of it.

Remember that a normal ntfs formatted hard drive will not owrk with these.
    It has to be setup with fat32 file system to work with this dvd player ie for to play Divx movies (that were bought on the internet :p )

I will use it for my kids - have all there movies on one HD so they don't have to mess with my media centre :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭CTRob

Thats a great offer!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Pitty it's not the old hdmi version for the extra tenner :(

But Im still getting it though :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭revileandy

Got one this morning! Sold out in a few shops but they had 12 left in Lidl on the walkinstown Avenue at 9.00am this morning. Som woman had bought three! Looking forward to testing it out later

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I got 2 of these this morning ... seem pretty nice , other than the fact it doesnt work with my external hard drive!!! "The dvd player can read memory sticks 1.1 or 2.0 up to 512mb "... wow useful i can fit 2 family guy episodes on to my memory stick! Dont know how my external HD is formated though ill check that out later when i get home. Id say ill be bringin it back though cause i have ones from aldi a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Let me know how you get on with the external hard drive. Got one this morning specifically to plug into a hdd. I hope its just that the file system is ntfs? Can anyone else verify that it will work with external fat32 drives?

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭MonkeyWrench

This would come in well handy to play full legth movies from the HD if it is possible, most movies are over 700MB, you say that you can play only up to 512MB?

What is the make of the dvd player in lidl, can't tell from the link?

Think it was silvercrest or something like that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭bravo

Very happy with the dvd. Using USB port to run 80GB Ext. HD formatted FAT32 and playing avi's, divx and xvid files all around 700mbs.
    Only concern is doesnt seem to be a way of switching between disc and usb without remote, so remote needs to be stored carefully!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Got to toy with one of those Lidl players as well the full title is the Silvercrest 6511 DVD player.

Mostly German discussion on the player as expected, it has been super seeded by two slightly newer models which add HDMI into the mix. Although I think one of them is a bigger update than the other (German translation wasn't too hot).

There are no firmware updates available for it either.

Plays XviD/DivX in AVI containers (does not support HD resolutions but standard definition resolutions play fine)
    Does not play XviD with AC3 audio
    Plays Nero Digital ASP in MP4 containers with AAC audio (will only play these files burned to DVD not from USB or memory card)
    Takes about 20-30 seconds for playback to start over USB
    No deblocking is available for XviD & the other formats.

VGA and component out + progressive scan is available and picture quality from DVD's was good plus you get a copy of Nero 7 in the box which is a nice touch. Not a bad little player for the price but a firmware update could have fixed some of the few issues above but that doesn't look like that's going to happen.

im not saying thats all it works with, im just quoting from the manual. It doesnt seem to work with large hard drives. My 250gb didnt work, either did my friends 300gb (both fat32) , his 60gb (or 40gb cant remeber) did though, so did his 1gb flash drive. Might buy a smaller hard drive just for this purpose. Can any one else confirm it works with them? Nice dvd player though, looks very good when using the vga output. i got the second last one from galway at 10 to 9(lidl galway opens at 8), so they didnt last very long!

It's in German but this thread catalogues external hard drives that worked over USB with the 6510 & 6511, you can make out the details with the Ja or Nein for if it worked or not.

As long as the drive is formatted FAT32 it should be okay for most drives I think but try making a partition of around 150GB and see it it works with that on drives that initially do not work.

Got it working, cheers 8t8!

To confirm , hard drive MUST be fromated using fat32 ,this can be done using an app called swiss knife from:http://www.download.com

I recomend that you make a smaller partition on your hard drive if you plan to use very large files(images etc) and format that to ntfs as fat32 cant handle files greater than 4gb in size. Also it might bea good idea to limit the size of your main partition because it does take the dvd player quite some time to load otherwise.

Have only had a chance to slightly test it as im in the middle of exams but it worked for the one file i tried!

I've formatted my 80GB external drive to fat32 and it works fine with all I've thrown at it. It does take a while to load initally and also playing a 700+mb file takes a good 20 secs to load but plays fine. I tried my 1GB usb stick and found playback was a bit jumpy. I presumed its not getting enough juice form the player? Very happy with it overall though.

The players USB port is a USB 2 one so performance should not be an issue for the most part, that said certain USB memory sticks may be susceptible to performance issues.

I tested a Crucial Gizmo and Corsair Voyager both 2GB and didn't have any problems.

Sony microvault 1GB has performance issues. Reformated it and no change but happy with my 80GB external drive anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭MonkeyWrench

Anyone know if they are still doing these in LIDL or if there is a possibility of getting it somewhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭quigo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

father-in-law picked one up for me this morning...cannot wait to try it out at home!!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭quigo

I have mine too :D Im just looking forward to hooking it up to my tv:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Cant get it to load my USB HD. Its a WD drive that works fine on another player (ALDIs version from last year i think). *grumble*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

I have resurrected this as I am looking for something similar now. This thread is a year old so I'm sure someone could recommend the latest one of these types of device ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Fido loves 7up

Same here.

Where can I get the
    Philips DVP 5160 in Dublin?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Be careful - I have a Philips recently released DVD player [Model no. at home ;)] with HDMI and USB port - but the catch [knew in advance] is that the USB port is only to display photos in slideshow form.........

- Mine was a Harvey Norman buy, just get your model no. and google for reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭trabpc

bougth the Philips 5980 from Pixmania last week for €64. it has Usb on front and plays Divx from it.

there is a newer 5990 but I did not like the look of it. Currys had the old 5980 but were out of stock there price for that was 79.99 they tried to sell me the new one for 99.99 walked out. why the price increase?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Lidl have it coming back again.
    http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20081013.p.SilverCrestHDMIDVDPlayer

I bought one 2 years ago. Its very much died on me. lots of things on it just dont work... same as my brother who also bought one. His did not get much use at all. Kind of strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

trabpc wrote: »
    bougth the Philips 5980 from Pixmania last week for €64. it has Usb on front and plays Divx from it.

there is a newer 5990 but I did not like the look of it. Currys had the old 5980 but were out of stock there price for that was 79.99 they tried to sell me the new one for 99.99 walked out. why the price increase?

Sorry if I am being a bit dumb but is this as simple as whacking the divx files from PC onto a memory key and sticking it into the player? How would the player be able to play the latest codecs?

• Advertisement
Advertisement