Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

B&Q will be doing Wind turbines and HW solar panels soon [Supply and Fit only]

Options
  • 23-09-2006 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭

Was in Swords branch this am and they have a notice up, along with a small turbine and some neat looking HW SP's.

Supply and fit only, the staff had no idea who would do the fitting.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

They will! http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9330400&fh_search=wind&fh_eds=%c3%9f&fh_refview=search&ts=1159351234504
    typically mounted on the gable end of buildings.
    Bad idea - do not mount a turbine on the gable end of your home. The vibrations will keep you awake.

No Noise performance.
    No Power curve
    No spec's
    Expensive

Not much more to say on it, other than the 10yr lifespan in rubbish.
    Quick fix crap like this give the renewables industry a bad name...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Tks Boogle.

This might get tested today!

Structural and product design calculations based on ultimate loading of storm force conditions predicted over a 20 and 50 year occurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 larryr

ircoha wrote:
    Was in Swords branch this am and they have a notice up, along with a small turbine and some neat looking HW SP's.

Supply and fit only, the staff had no idea who would do the fitting.
    these B+Q things have a very bad rep. Have a look at this article from the Observer: http://observer.guardian.co.uk/cash/story/0,,1805154,00.html

Apparently they are made by windsave who have a long standing reputation for extreme exaggeration and wild claims.

I bought my 600w machine from Energy liberators in Limerick (www.energyliberators.com). Its up and running now charging batteries. Very impressive powerwise - and quite pretty to look at also :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Larry - i'm from Limerick and am very interested in looking at wind turbines. Can you let me know where you got yours in Lmk? I couldn't access your link for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭KNO3

Well instead of the "coming soon" sign they now have a price tag up in B&Q Belgard Rd for the turbine @ €2399.00, they seem to be pushing this as well as its setup right in front of you as you enter the store, literally can't miss it.

Little kid in front of me as i was going in says "look at the airplane mammy":)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Quote from the home wind yahoo group today, might be of some interest.
    "Hi Derek,

I have the same B&Q leaflets.
    Unfortunately, no mention of towers or poles.....just the usual roof-
    mount rubbish. Besides, whats the use of a 3.75m (11ft)tower?

The leaflet even says in black and white that you don't need to live
    on a windy hill side to benefit from windsave, even in the city you
    can expect to save upto 30% off your electricity bill.

What a load of twoddle!

I believe that a number of complaints have already been made to the
    advertising standards authority.

Even if we pretended it wasn't a windsave turbine, and that it was
    going to be mounted on a nice and high tower, the turbine is so crude
    I can't see how it could compete with other manufacturers!

Its still the same pie in the sky, rewound motor with a fantasy power
    output.

They should be renamed swindlesave if you ask me!

I'm going to be placing an order for a lovely new turbine next week
    and it will not be a swindlesave!

Phil"

And the specs he was referring to in case anyone is interested:

1.75M diameter
    pole height: 3.75 mtrs
    2 yr warrarty
    100 - 800 rpm
    shutdown at 1060rpm
    furling at 15m/s
    grid tied

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Milo

Crea
    Larry - i'm from Limerick and am very interested in looking at wind turbines. Can you let me know where you got yours in Lmk? I couldn't access your link for some reason.

There's an unwanted bracket in that URL link. Just delete it in the address bar and the link works!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Milo wrote:
    CreaThere's an unwanted bracket in that URL link. Just delete it in the address bar and the link works!
    http://www.energyliberators.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭piraka

I was querying the turbine in my local B&Q. The turbine is connected directly into your electricity supply when installed.

Is an ESB grid connection required?

The assistant was unable to give answer, likewise on if there was any planning issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭twinkletoes

Hi,

I live on a windy hillside site and I am very interested in getting the windsave unit but cant find one review on the net from someone who has actually bought and used it??There seems to be only negative stuff about the windsave turbine.....

Has anyone any actual experience of the windsave unit on a windy saite??

• Advertisement

Why would you even consider using a product that you can find nothing but bad press about when there are plenty of respected manufacturers out there?
    Check out Bergey turbines, I havent heard anything majorly negative about them at any stage and the company owner is an active member of the a-w-h forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭wex96

the thing about windsave is it's pug and play. it does't recharge bateries just feeds directly into your mains, this is no good until esb allows meters that go backwards when the turbine is working,allowing you to save money.:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

wex96 wrote:
    this is no good until esb allows meters that go backwards when the turbine is working,allowing you to save money.:)
    If you produce more than a certain amount of electricity ( to stop nuisense connections) then the ESB must take it off you and pay you for it, but then again the rate you get isn't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If you produce more than a certain amount of electricity ( to stop nuisense connections) then the ESB must take it off you and pay you for it, but then again the rate you get isn't great.
    Only if you are certified and at a cost of 16k for certification plus all the other hoops you have to jump through, I feel many people won't be doing this.

Some form of metering arrangement (most likely dual) will most likely happen next year. CER discussion documentation is already in circulation regarding this issue. Bear in mind that the single energy market is going to happen and given that the North already have dual metering, I would hope that we would also be eligible for it.
    Is an ESB grid connection required?
    It comes complete with a GC-inverter. As long as the inverter is approved by the ESB then its okay to plug it in. I don't know where to find a list of ESB approved inverters yet though.

Still would not recommend the system though as it's pretty awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭twinkletoes

Boggle wrote:

Still would not recommend the system though as it's pretty awful.

But how can anyone really know for sure without actually trying it out on a suitable site?? Surely someone out there has actually bought it by now and has a report??...will keep searching the net....

But how can anyone really know for sure without actually trying it out on a suitable site?? Surely someone out there has actually bought it by now and has a report??...will keep searching the net....
    AAAAAAAAAAGGGHHHH!
    Experts in wind turbine technology such as Hugh Pigott & other respected individuals have completely written off this turbine as the POS that it is.
    Furthermore the company that makes it has as far as I have seen, a reputation for being totally full of (insert appropriate expletive).
    I dont know really, go out and buy it if you're that convinced.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

Apparently these are the fastest selling items in the whole b&q chain. Was an article in one of the Sunday papers but can't remember which off the top of my head.

The Sun newspaper also sells well I hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

good comparison:)

Was the Sunday Times btw. The article did at least mention that the turbines would probably only power a few lightbulbs.

• Advertisement

just to recap - the 1KW is with wind at 12m/second.

http://www.met.ie/climate/casement.asp
    Average speed 11 - but that's in Knots high off the ground at the far end of a runway aligned with the prevailing wind.

11 Knots = 6.5131 m/second, but meaningless unless there is a power curve for the device. Some show linear power - twice the speed, twice the power. Others give four times the power at twice the speed. ( in this case 250W)

Overall the solar panels in B&Q might be a better option

The solar panels in B&Q are very expensive. I saw far better and far cheaper panels in clean energy ireland (cork... I think!!).

Don't take my word on it though - shop around yourselves...
    www.cleanenergyireland.ie

Apparently these are the fastest selling items in the whole b&q chain. Was an article in one of the Sunday papers but can't remember which off the top of my head.
    No accounting for peoples ability to fall for a sleak presentation... Actually I believe that they are in trouble in Ireland as they never investigated grid connection before trying to sell here!! (insert comment on intelligence here!!)

That should be enough to tell you how well B&Q research things...

Advertisement