Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hours

Options
  • 15-09-2006 3:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭

Right, I'm starting History and Political Science in October. I have a job interview tomorrow for some part-time work, but the only problem is that it's not all that part time. (4 days a week, approx. 30 hours) It's only until Christmas so I reckon I can handle the hours, but I need to find out how long, and when, I'll need to be in college.

The department of Political Science couldn't help, because apparently the timetables haven't been set yet, so does anyone know when's the earliest I could find out? Or, failing that, can anyone who has done the course remember when they were in college during their JF year. (I realise it may have changed, but just to have something to say)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭nutball

If all your lectures are taped and you listen to them through headphones while you're asleep, you might manage it.

Even if you only have say, 12 hours' lectures a week, there is no possible way you'll fit a job like that around it. Unless your employer is uber-flexible. Even so, it's a Terrible Idea. Awful. Especially in 1st year. Quite aside from the impact on the academic side of things, you need time in 1st year to meet people and get involved. I know plenty of people who didn't have the time / make the effort in the first few months of JF and never really felt like they ever settled into college properly. Ná déan é!

(I know this doesn't answer your question, but consider it some well-intentioned advice from an interfering stranger and ignore at your leisure).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Are you sure you're not underestimating the hours you'll have? I rang up before I started and was told I'd have 8-9 lectures a week but on top of that I had loads of tutorials, which were obligatory to attend, and I ended up having about 20 hours a week. You can't choose your own timetable in Trinity so you'll end up with a class at 9am, then one at 2, and 3, and one at 5. I couldn't find a job around those hours in first year. Of course I didn't live with the parents so I had a lot more to do (cooking dinner every day, buying food, trekking to the launderette etc) than my friends from Dublin but 30 hours a week is a lot for anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Tacitha

You should have ten hours of lectures and two to three of tutorials.
    It doesn't sound much, but you almost certainly won't have a full day off, Monday to Friday. And the usual recommendation is that you make up a forty-hour week between class time and private study. I don't think many people actually do this in first year, but a bare minimum would be one hour private study per hour in class.
    So it might be just about possible, if you are allowed to pick and choose your hours, but you would be very likely to fall behind academically and miss out socially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭sully-gormo

Do ya not realise how much that is? 7 hours a night!!! 5pm til midnight!
    Dont think anyone could manage that.

It wasnt Dunnes Stores you applied to was it? Cos I went there and I got offered something along those lines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Right_Side

Crazy idea to do that many hours work! College is a full time job!

FYI: as far as I can remember JF Intro to Political Science hours were: Tuesday @ 11am and Thursday @ 3pm (nobody went to this...ever).

Then you had a tutorial every second week? Could be any day at any time but you could basically pick which time suited you and go to it. Go to the tutorials to pass the year!

Lectures could easily be skipped for this subject although probably not the best idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

Hmm, so everyone approves then? On the phone, it seemed very flexible (i.e. I could reduce the hours, and work mainly weekends) I'm not going to take the job (HMV, for the record) unless I can get them reduced, which is unlikely. I'll have to charm them into needing me, whatever hours I work.

For future reference, and remembering that I have very little money atm, how many hours would be sensible in first year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Tacitha

15-20, I'd say.
    There was a study in the U.K. recently that found more than 15 hours per week had a bad effect on grades.
    But this is first year, and most of your assessment will be end-of-year exams, so you could risk a little more.
    If its money for basics like food and rent that you need, ask your tutor when you meet him/her about applying to college for financial assistance. Not huge sums of money (maybe a few hundred), but not a complicated process either.
    Also remember that terms are short, An Post and Argos pretty much guarantee jobs at Christmas, and that student accounts often come with automatic overdrafts of a few hundred. So it might be worth living as cheaply as possible in the first term, and concentrating on getting work at Christmas, depending on your circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

Tacitha wrote:
    student accounts often come with automatic overdrafts of a few hundred. So it might be worth living as cheaply as possible in the first term, and concentrating on getting work at Christmas, depending on your circumstances.

a dangerous game to play, methinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Dave Larkin

So it's probably better off not to get a job as a JF unless you're working under 10 hours per week. That sounds about right. I've applied to a few places, but I have yet to get a reply. I wasn't able to get a job during the summer, so I'd like to be able to earn my own bit of dosh now.

However, I wouldn't want it to interfere with the social side of things in TCD, so I'll probably work Saturday and Sunday mornings. It's a sacrifice, but it has to be done, lol. No sleeping in! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

No sleeping in!

I give you three weeks before you collapse (barring of course the "skip morning lectures for extra sleep" option, which is not recommended unless you like spending August cramming for repeats).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

This college jazz seems far more time-consuming than I thought. Stupid college.

And you'll all be happy to know that I didn't take the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭sully-gormo

So it's probably better off not to get a job as a JF unless you're working under 10 hours per week. That sounds about right. I've applied to a few places, but I have yet to get a reply. I wasn't able to get a job during the summer, so I'd like to be able to earn my own bit of dosh now.

However, I wouldn't want it to interfere with the social side of things in TCD, so I'll probably work Saturday and Sunday mornings. It's a sacrifice, but it has to be done, lol. No sleeping in! :p
    dont do it!! I work Saturdays and Sundays in Centra- 8am start- its not worth it. Im gonna hand in my notice soon, though im gonna get some flak off the boss when i do. Theyre moving into a new shop he's a bit stressed, and I only took the job on a month ago, he thinks i might keep it up while in college(not a chance)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Dave Larkin

dont do it!! I work Saturdays and Sundays in Centra- 8am start- its not worth it. Im gonna hand in my notice soon, though im gonna get some flak off the boss when i do. Theyre moving into a new shop he's a bit stressed, and I only took the job on a month ago, he thinks i might keep it up while in college(not a chance)

I went to one of the shops I applied to today and asked if they were taking on any new part-timers. They said they would be, but that I would probably have to work Saturday evenings. My heart sank at the thought of it. I may have to work two weeknights to win my Saturday evenings back. I'm not surprised they can't find anyone to do Saturday evenings. The shift is from 5pm - 10pm, I believe.

Not good...

Maybe I'll be taking your advice, Sully Gormo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Sorry mate, 10 hours a week is COMPLETELY unfeasible. you will work no less than 12 hours contracted work (i.e. somewhere that isnt paying you under the table) if you're looking for part time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

Really? I averaged about 10/11 hours a week last year, and for the coming year I've been offered one job at 10 hours a week (one day) and another one at 11 hours (two days). Neither are paying me under the table (that I'm aware of; I've got certs and whatnot from the revenue commissioners, so I'm assuming it's above board). Hell, I'd wager if I bargained enough with each of those managers, they'd drop the hours lower. So maybe I'm such a brilliant employee that they're desperate not to lose me (doubtful), or maybe they're just fantastic bosses (even more doubtful, if that were possible), but <10 hours is probably workable with a bit of luck and a few contacts.

What about SU shop/library jobs? I was under the impression that those offered very low hours if that was what people with large course-loads needed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭RagShagBill

Another question, which while relevant, is a little off topic.

How much money is necessary per week for an average student living at home? I know it's a hugely variable question, but say for somebody who is a moderate drinker (that is not to say sensible, however), and slightly fussy eater. I imagine that, because those living at home have nowhere in town to crash and make pasta during that free hour or two they find, there's a lot of money spent on outlet food. In any case, I've rambled. A ballpark figure would be fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

as everything , 'it depends'

but if you were to take a roll + drink from somewhere like centra on wr it'd set you back about 5e/day , it depends though, if your eating dinners at college instead of home your costs will go way up. And well drinking is sooo variable a costing for someone i don't know is impossible(mine varies madly all the time too, depending on who drinking with and what going on etc..)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Two words: packed lunch.

Without that though I'd usually end up buying a roll (god you start getting sick of them though), pack of crisps, banana, couple cups of coffee. Set me back 7-8 euro a day. Then with drinking the five day total would come to bout 65 euro a week.

With a packed lunch that has me down to about 35.

Advertisement