Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Future Mammy in law!

Options
  • 24-05-2006 10:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭

My future mammy in law is very critical sometimes especially about my weight, as i'm too skinny and she thinks i'm anorexic. She dosent believe the fact that i've food allergies (which i do, my abdomen and arms have the nasty spots to prove it!) or that i eat many small meals a day(which i do as i like to munch). She also told my boyfriend that she thought i was pregnant...imagine the embarassment especially since i cant have any. i feel like creating a little voodo doll etc......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Jaysus skip the Voodoo doll and do it for real !!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Leave some nursing home brochures lying around in her house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Punch her in the face!!!punch.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Haha Id got with the bluewolf idea :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

jesus, she sounds like a complete ****

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Make sure and put plenty of laxatives in her morning coffee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Punch her in the face!!!punch.jpg
    That's not a punch! This is a punch!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Next time tell her...
    "I WANNA be as big as you are, but my body just WONT let me get fat!"
    Then smile and back off slowly.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

give'er a kick up the hole

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

Hog-tie her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I have a mate whose mother constantly used to say things to him like "You're a drug dealer", "You're gay", "You're anorexic", "You're a drug addict", without any shred of evidence. She's insane and there's no talking to her. Just say, "If you think so", nice and politely.

Although if she's making comments about pregnancy when she knows you can't have any, that's over the line. If I was in that situation and my mum made a comment like that to me, I'd eat her alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

the classic "mother in law", nothing new, once you can establish from a third party that you are indeed not anorexic and whatever else comes from her lips, then just write it off as an old woman talking away looking for attention and power

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

the b*tch is just jealous cos shes an oul one and thinks no-one is good enough for her precious! Id sell a car in buy and sell for 100 quid and list her number if I was you...

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i'd go with Siogfinsceal's advice....

it was done to me, and is VERY annoying....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

been called anorexic sooo many times by my own mother...other peoples mothers and colleagues - i eat loads!! The way I look at it of your future mammy in law thinks its PC and Okay to call you skinny/anorexic and make pregnancy comments then its clearly PC for you to call her fat and imply she has put on weight. My mate had a colleague making comments recently saying she was pregnant and the like so I told her to comment on the other girls love of sweet and her recent weight gain - she did and the other one hasnt opened her mouth since!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

im confused... she said you were too skinny and then she said you were pregnant?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

You should talk to your fiance straight away, tell him to get the finger out and have a word - I can't believe he'd put up with this.

seamus wrote:
    I have a mate whose mother constantly used to say things to him like "You're a drug dealer", "You're gay", "You're anorexic", "You're a drug addict", without any shred of evidence. She's insane and there's no talking to her. Just say, "If you think so", nice and politely.

Exactly, try and make her realize she's being immature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭fuzzywiggle

Yeah I'd take all the advice on board. First leave the nursing home booklets around, if she doesn't get the hint tell her she's fat and if that still doesn't work slap her one! Happy days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭FillSpectre

the b*tch is just jealous cos shes an oul one and thinks no-one is good enough for her precious! Id sell a car in buy and sell for 100 quid and list her number if I was you...
    I never understand comments like this.

The truth is the mother in law is probably concerned about you more so than anything else. AS people get older they get less likely to control what they say as they think they are in positions that they just get listened to.

I actually had my mother say to me on Saturday that I should do as she suggests because she nags me about them. When I asked why and she looked at me puzzled and siad precisely because I am your mother.

As your future mother in law she thinks she can say these things to you because she thinks you respect her and conside her opinion important. This is more likely than anything else from my experience. When people get older they do forget how insulting some comments are.

Address the situation like an adult not a child.

Poke her with a stick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

If it was my MIL, I wouldn't say anything to her....She is well aware it is both insulting and hurtful to comment on another woman's weight - she's not stupid.....this is the beginning of a power struggle (ah! Irish boys & their mammies! :rolleyes:) and she is trying to undermine you and your relationship to ensure you know who is the top woman in her son's life....talk it though with your partner & whenever she says anything to you just shout through to your partner "Your mum thinks I'm anorexic...", "Your mum thinks I'm pregnant..." and walk away & let HIM deal with it....

If you try & retaliate - you will escalate things and you will become the bad guy....I let my husband deal with any issues with his mother & I deal with any issues he has with my own - we find it is a much more effective way of dealing with things than trying to argue or reason with the others mother....now, yrs down the line, we have no trouble from either of them.....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

This would sort her out tbh.

Pet wrote:
    This would sort her out tbh.

I never say this, but sham.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement