Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

extra fone point for broadband

Options
  • 05-04-2006 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭

Howya folks,

I need an extra fone port in the spare room to install my router... the only problem is that it would be very difficuly to run a cable to the room.

is there any powerline devices that will take the rj-11 fone line upstairs? and will it carry the signal to the adsl router ok?

Thanks in advance

SW

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

SoundWave wrote:
    Howya folks,

I need an extra fone port in the spare room to install my router... the only problem is that it would be very difficuly to run a cable to the room.

is there any powerline devices that will take the rj-11 fone line upstairs? and will it carry the signal to the adsl router ok?

Thanks in advance

SW

Would it not be better and cheaper just to get a wireless router?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

There are powerline devices for networking and connecting to a modem, but as far as I know they only work at about 33.6kbps, don't work for DSL and are very expensive.

As crawler says, a wireless router at the phone socket downstairs would be best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

yeah i have a wireless router but i find that the desktop connection isnt great and tends to drop a lot.

what i might do is install the router downstairs and get an ethernet powerline adapter connected to one of the ports on the router, and connect the ports upstairs to a small ethernet hub. (or get a powerline device with a hub...)

its an open area so i want to cut down on the mess and i dont think a small table or unit to hide it in will fit.

thanks for the replies.

sw

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭soSolid

Have a look at this and see if you like it. I'm using them everywhere at home and they're the dogs. I'm streaming movies, VoIP and gaming over them and haven't had a single problem. Like you suggested, that kit would allow you to use one from your router downstairs and the second upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

cheers sosolid... i think i will go with that option or somthing very similar.

SW

• Advertisement
Advertisement