Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Dublin Northside anime fans?

Options
  • 16-03-2006 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

I'm trying to get an anime club off the ground and am wondering if any from the northside is interested in becoming founder members? The reason I'm asking from the northside only is ONLY because of transport considerations and the fact that not everyone has a car. But if someone from the southside is interested, that's cool! The more Otaku, the merrier!

So, any takers?

Eeeper

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

I'd say pop along to AMS out in DCU - we are on every thursday.

You have a good chance getting interest and it would be good to have more then one night to go to showings :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Eeeper

Thanks, Bud! I might try and make the next meeting. Otherwise I'll let you know how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

are there no groups willing to book somewhere in town (IFI or something), charge a fee per head and nerd it up with some anime every week/fortnight.

i am northside too btw. dunno if a DITer should venture into enemy territory though :p

We would either have to get a big group or find somewhere which wont charge an arm and a leg :/

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Art_Wolf wrote:
    We would either have to get a big group or find somewhere which wont charge an arm and a leg :/
    Mmm, unfortunately attendence at anime screenings is generally low; a lot of people will tend to watch shows alone, and the ones that might draw a crowd, ie Naruto, Bleach or Fullmetal Alchemist, tend not to be favoured by the people who might have the resources to set up such an event :)

For me, anime is mostly a private thing, something I might watch with a couple of mates, but usually on my own as I don't really have the time to do otherwise.

It seems to be the same for most people.

• Advertisement

A friend I know used to deal with Manga video a few years back (a live action film they owed) and he said they were a nightmare to deal with. But thats a few years ago, before they were bought out by IDT so the story might have changed.

Tell you what, I can sort out the licences to show anime but I need to find a venue. If i can sort that out, who's interested in coming along?

Also does any one know how the DCU club were able to show Trinity Blood six months before Funimation licenced it?

Plus I wouldn't care what got shown as long as it was agreed by a majority of the club. I draw the line at Hentai, however.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Eeeper wrote:
    Also does any one know how the DCU club were able to show Trinity Blood six months before Funimation licenced it?

The DCU club has an inhouse translator who subtitled the Japanese releases after obtaining legal permission directly from the Japanese animators.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I have access to a large conference room on the Northside, just down the road from Northside Shopping Centre actually.

It can hold about 50 people.

It could be used on a weekday evening free of charge.

Monkey fudge, thanks keep the room on ice, I'll let you know about it in a bit.

CULT could you PM me about feedback with the contacts to the japanese copyright holders?

So far I've contacted Manga Ent, ADV, and i still tracking others for licences. It's hard to find out who owns what over here. I've got multi-region systems waiting in the wings to use.

So who's in?
    If anyone's interested in joining port to the thread and i'll get to you one by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Be careful about making such an event too publically known since chances are you'd be playing a DVD which is only licensed for private viewing and not a public showing like this (and if it's played from a download it may as well be a pirate DVD).

• Advertisement

Thanks, farohar. When I spoke to Manga they said that it was fine to use the DVD version of one of their titles so long as I let them know when I was planning on showing it. As far as I know there is a seperate licence you can obtain that allows you to show a title at your club all the time but I didn't raise the issue with the Manga rep at the time.

Eeeper wrote:
    Thanks, farohar. When I spoke to Manga they said that it was fine to use the DVD version of one of their titles so long as I let them know when I was planning on showing it. As far as I know there is a seperate licence you can obtain that allows you to show a title at your club all the time but I didn't raise the issue with the Manga rep at the time.
    That's good of them. Suppose with most manga being series as opposed to plain movies letting people show them publicly is free advertising as opposed to someone just playing a movie publicly so no one who watches will have to buy it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Wild_Rose_86

If there's anything happening with this, I'd be super interested
    :D

Yeah I'm certainly interested in helping out :)

Note in terms of licensing you can show to groups of up to 25 without requiring permission - it's very handy when your awaiting a response for a company.

I'm sure I can see about AMS loaning out DVDs if your short of material to show ( though that is rarely a problem :) )

If you have time throw up a simple site and I'll link you on anime.ie - working on also a scheldue for anime socs in Ireland, i.e. you will be able to go on and see what is playing that week. A good bit of work still to be done on this though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Will AMS be running stuff at Sillicon this year ?

If they are they'd best talk to the stocs crowd quick, there's nothing listed for them. And OMG a paper airplane competetion! LOL!

http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/%7Estocs/sillicon/time.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Buttermilk

I have access to a large conference room on the Northside, just down the road from Northside Shopping Centre actually.

It can hold about 50 people.

It could be used on a weekday evening free of charge.

I wonder where that is? I go to college in Colaiste Dhulaigh, so I might come along if it happens. You could set up the CD Anime/manga society:cool:

Big white building... on your left as you head from Northside to Aldi.

There is another option of the Artane Beaumont Recreation Centre, a room can be booked very cheaply there and there is a full bar in the building that is very cheap too... Right next to the last stop on the 20B bus route and across the road from Artane Castle, so easy enough to find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Cosine

Sounds well interesting.

I'm limerickman born and bred so I dont know anything about dublin and I was wondering is it possible to get public transport to these places without having to bring out the BIG books?

:rolleyes:

I am staying in Maynooth at the moment.

Cosine wrote:
    Sounds well interesting.

I'm limerickman born and bred so I dont know anything about dublin and I was wondering is it possible to get public transport to these places without having to bring out the BIG books?

:rolleyes:

I am staying in Maynooth at the moment.

i'm embrassed to say I don't know my way around dublin that well. Especially the southside, man it's foreign to me. Can anybody help Cosine out ?

Also everyone who interested in this club can you please PM by next thursday(30th march)? I'll have the site for this club up tonight, ok?

Laters,
    Eeeper.

• Advertisement

Well either of the places I've mentioned are easily accessable by bus from the city centre. They both also have bus stops right outside them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Cosine

day-cent

dublin bus site prepare for a good old poke and see :D

To let you guys know I've got the site up and running. It's at http://otakunaeireann.blogspot.com/

I had to host it on Blogger.com as my computer is giving me grief and I only had about two hours to myself to put it togther.

Let you guys know in a while what happens next.

:D

I have a projector that can be used as well, by the way.

OK, guys, now we need to discuss setting up the club in person. Can anyone interested please PM me about meeting next weekend? What day is good? When can you attend? Also include what type of anime you like to watch. Anyways hope to here from you soon. :D

Well there is a mini-boards beers planned for this coming Friday at the Porter House in town.

Both myself and CuLT have said we'd be there, so it might an okay time to have a chat about this.

A reminder to people that this meeting is on for tonight in the Poterhouse - check teh Events forum for more details :)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rei-chan

Which side is the North side...?
    I'm in Ballyfermot...

According to this Ballyfermot is on the southside so if you're refering to Northside Shopping Centre then it's in Coolock. OK?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Rei-chan

Haha, I'm not going all the way over there...
    I'll just have to stick to making people watch Anime at my house.

Advertisement