Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Charleville Summary

• 26-09-2005 10:41am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Seeing as no one else has posted up anything about saturdays investigation in Charleville castle, I thought I'd give a quick summary of the nights events as I saw them for those who are interested. First of all I think it's safe to say we all had a very enjoyable night wandering around a beautifull and historic haunted castle, so I'd like to thank Kenneth for organising it and the trustees of the castle for allowing us there. 6 boardsies, and a member of a Cork group made it in the end, and we were joined for some of the night by a Canadian woman who had been touring the castle and was interested in joining in.

While there is still a lot of material for us to go through, I don't think we gathered any 'hard' evidence of paranormal activity at the castle, but I think Zillah said it best when he said that there "is definitely something strange going on" or words to those effect. Even in the first room of our initial tour of the building, we got some good orb photos which did not appear to be dust related.

Moving up the castle, at the top of the octagonal tower, which iirc is built over a ley line, we got some strange pendulum activity. At the top of the tower, the chains on all 3 pendulums with the group had knotted themselves, which their owners all confirmed is very unusuall. The pendulums when used appeared to be being pulled downwards and released again, having never used a pendulum I borrowed one not expecting to feel anything and was surprised to feel the same, altough not hugely surprised, I'd been feeling pressure against my stomach region since getting to the top (which went away whenever I left it to go on the roof) so I knew something was up there.

We then moved back down to tour the top floor. Along one of the corridors noises were heard from within one of the rooms. Moving into the room on my own (which caused a few "OMG, there's definitly something in there"s I could feel a kind of 'warmth' or energy by a broken pillar. Others moving in afterwards felt the same thing, with one team member feeling that there was a presence there that was annoyed by us intruding.

We then moved into the stairwell, where Harriet fell from the banister to the floor below. After several people had a feeling of nausia (I can never spell )that right). Two member of the team almost burst into spontaneous crying, and while looking down the stairwell I had a feeling that I can only describe as getting the impression of what it was like to go over the edge, fall and hit the ground in an instant.

And that pretty much ended our initial tour :) I don't have time now to go into the rest of the night, but we finished up by trying some glass tipping (I think that's what it's called). We didn't have much luck in the first room we tried and asking the nicer spirits in the castle to move the glass, apart from some small movements, so we moved to another room and asked "O'Reilly", one of the not so nice ones. The glass fairly flew across the table (in relative terms), even tilting and working it's way over bumps. Trying again and asking Harriet to move the glass, we again only got small movement.

(that all seems very centred on me because I'm not sure what others want to say about their own experience or how they would feel about being named in relation to things. They may like to make their own posts with their experience or clarify and expand on the things I've mentioned above. With the exception of course of the quote from Zillah above, I really, really wanted to post that :) .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

Excellent report :)

I'll add in my experiences to this thread later on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

stevenmu wrote:
    I think Zillah said it best when he said that there "is definitely something strange going on" or words to those effect.

...With the exception of course of the quote from Zillah above, I really, really wanted to post that :) . [/SIZE]

Um, not to ruin your fun or anything but I don't recal saying that or having such sentiments.

All in all I think it was a beautiful castle, many parts of which were dark and creepy, but I didn't encounter anything that I couldn't very easily explain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

stevenmu wrote:
    .....I don't think we gathered any 'hard' evidence of paranormal activity at the castle......

I wouldn't be too sure of that! I know we have alot of material to go through - which includes Stevens 13.5 hours of audio, but i'm still hopeful for some good stuff.

A big thanks to the guys who were there, i think the group really made it a great experience:
    Kennett
    Stevenmu
    Donal
    Fudgemonkey
    Zillah & Kev

and of course Karen for joining us and bringing so much to the team.

But for those of you who weren't there here a little bit of info on the type of stuff we used:

2x night vision camera - one mobile & one set up in different locations at different times of the night.

1 bigger video camera (thats as technical as i get)
    several digital cameras

2x 35mm film cameras including a fully manual pentax k1000 SLR.

3x ccassette recorders - positioned in different locations by a very mobile Steven (who's dissapearing acts and completely relax attitude, even when going to the dungeon on his own, made me wonder weather he was infact a ghost himself!)

Several crystals & a some raw psychic talent from a few of the group!

It was great to have had Kennett & Donal there, as both new the place very well having been there a number of times. It was great too because on several occassions they could confirm "feelings" i had - one example was when i first to the dungeon very early on in the day with Donal i got a very strong and unpleasent feeling of a male energy, when i asked who was the male associeated with the area Donal simple replied "....thats O'Reilly", we stayed there for a bit both experiencing a strong feeling of "pressence". O'Reilly is a nastly bastard and doesn't seem to like people who stand to him!

I'll post more later including pics and possible a small video clip.

6th

To elaborate.

I got quite creeped out by the area around the toilets. Hypothetically this could be because of ghosts, or, more likely, I got freaked out by the fact that I was almost always alone there, it was dark there, and it was quiet there.

The crystal waving got me nothing. I held the chain steady, it jiggled a bit with my heartbeat, occasionally it would build up enough inertia to swing a little. Thats it.

The glass moving was interesting, but ultimately I think all things like that are rather pointless, as there must be human hands touching it, so we could quite possibly be moving it ourselves. And it most certainly did not fly "across the table" . To be precise it slid from the centre to near the edge over a course of about one minute.

Aside from a beautiful castle that was mostly it. I'm still quite sceptical, nothing obviously, or even arguably, supernatural happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

*shivers*

well done lads, sounds like a good investigation. Looking forward to the pics.
    zilah wrote:
    Um, not to ruin your fun or anything but I don't recal saying that or having such sentiments.
    what did you say exactly?
    :D

• Advertisement

er Zillah, it was just me you and steven who had our fingers on the glass when it moved a good 12-13inches - which i might ad is on video, i can understand something like that will not stand up for people who werent there but you seemed pretty sure none of us where moving it, with the way we had our fingers on the glass it would be very difficult to move it, infact were it might be possible to push it that doesn't explain that in the time we spend on that exercise the direction was different even in the same session.

Dont forget you got feeling during the night which several people shared, besides fear at times did you not get sensations on any part of yourself like cold or warmth?

6th

dublin6th wrote:
    Stevens 13.5 hours of audio, but i'm still hopeful for some good stuff.

Oh yes, I'm curious about that. I'd be eager to see if we get any EVP. If Fudge monkey feels like uploading that glass moving video I'd be very interested to see it from an outside perspective.
    what did you say exactly?

I said lots of things, but I didn't say that, and I don't recal saying anything similar.

dublin6th wrote:
    er Zillah, it was just me you and steven who had our fingers on the glass when it moved a good 12-13inches - which i might ad is on video, i can understand something like that will not stand up for people who werent there but you seemed pretty sure none of us where moving it, with the way we had our fingers on the glass it would be very difficult to move it, infact were it might be possible to push it that doesn't explain that in the time we spend on that exercise the direction was different even in the same session.

I couldn't possible be sure none of us were moving it. I'd be suprised if we weren't all moving it. One person's finger twitches and moves it a little, then we all start expecting it to go that way and without thinking thats the way we rest our fingers on it... There were moments (although not at that moment) when I realised I was exerting a tiny amount of pressure in the direction everyone was saying it was moving. It was the expectation of it.

Suffice to say, it is by no means conclusive, and while it was interesting it is not proof of the paranormal.

Dont forget you got feeling during the night which several people shared, besides fear at times did you not get sensations on any part of yourself like cold or warmth?

I was cold the entire time. That castle was freezing. There was one time I felt a little bit sick. Just a little, which could quite easily be explained by my fear/trepidation at the time. Its a well known fact that people can spontaenously throw up at times of stress.

thats all fair enough Zillah, we had a fun - which in itself is great i was just glad to have walked away from it as a self-confirming and positive experience.

6th

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Zillah wrote:
    You definitly said it, or something very similar (I especially remember the word strange), it was just as we were going out around to the back of the castle where we took the pictures on the steps. I could have misinterpreted the sentiment though, you may have meant something like there was something about the layout of the castle or something completly different ? edit: or maybe something strange but not paranormal strange ?

As for the glass moving, the part I found most convincing was how it seemed to move a lot ( I admit flying across the table was an exaggeration) when we asked O'Reilly to move it but not when we asked any of the others.

• Advertisement

You just reminded me of two odd things that happened...

When we were outside around the back, both Kev and I heard an odd hissing sound in the garden, it sounded close. Could have been an animal, but it certainly wasn't a cat hiss.

Also, there is this one... Its quite odd actually. Even if it is paranormal, its still odd. Three times someone in the group made an odd throaty growl sort of sound that they didn't seem to notice, that I heard.

The first time was very early in the night, when myself and Kev were passing through a door. I could have sworn I heard him make a deep throaty sound, but he said he didn't notice or hear. A minute later Andy came up the stairs and just as he reached the top I heard the same sound, which I was positive came from him. Finally, when the Canadian woman (names, pff) entered the Octagonal room for the first time I heard her make the same sort of sound. Not once did anyone seem to notice making such a sound.

Andy, do you recal meeting myself and Kev at the top of the side stairs early in the night?

Not for a second do I claim this is paranormal, it just strikes me as a really really wierd coincidence. One that I thought you'd find curious at least.

As for my apparent statement that something wierd was going on, I don't recal ever coming to that conclusion, so prehaps I meant it in a different context.

Zillah wrote:
    As for my apparent statement that something wierd was going on, I don't recal ever coming to that conclusion, so prehaps I meant it in a different context.
    I guess so, I've also been known to completely mis-hear people so it could have been that either.

Mentioning the noises you heard just reminded me of the whistle we heard when down in the dungeon when everyone else was upstairs.

stevenmu wrote:
    I guess so, I've also been known to completely mis-hear people so it could have been that either.

Mentioning the noises you heard just reminded me of the whistle we heard when down in the dungeon when everyone else was upstairs.

Oh yeah...that was mostly inexplicable. The rest of the team was just coming out of the tower far away.

So Zillah, would i be right in saying that the more you think about the night, the more you remember things which happened that were experienced by more than just yourself which there is no definate explaination for and that this things that happened my at least be considered "unusual" and are as yet ...."unexplained"?

6th

Zillah wrote:
    Andy, do you recal meeting myself and Kev at the top of the side stairs early in the night?

The side stairs.... The ones near the main door, or the servents stairs? I recall talking to you guys on the stairs leading up to the gallery, but what I don't recall is much else. And thinking about that growl, I got the chills, and I've been told that it wasn't human, though I never recall you telling me anything about the growl. I do recall the whistle being mentioned however.

Edit: That growl is usually associated with O'Reilly, if I recall. It gives me a huge amount of shivers, and it's besides the point that my overall very small window is open! Either way, there's something else associated with him and usually, at least on the invest. Finny was on, we were being followed everywhere through the forest to the "Druid's Grotto". I remember there was the smell of rotting meat once, and Finny and I smelt it. When Marklar sniffed where the smell was coming from, he yelped and ran out of the place!

I think it was the servant's stairs. The ones that you have to use to get back to the hall from the Octagonal room if the door at the bottom of "Harriot's Stairs" is locked.

Which growl are you talking about? You've been told it wasn't human, by whom, what where why how?
    So Zillah, would i be right in saying that the more you think about the night, the more you remember things which happened that were experienced by more than just yourself which there is no definate explaination for and that this things that happened my at least be considered "unusual" and are as yet ...."unexplained"?

I only mention them because Im sure you guys would be interested. Like I said, there was nothing that couldn't be explained. Even the whistling could have been Dudley nearby, or a whistle echoing from elsewhere. Without further evidence or an experiment of some sort I couldn't be sure. It could be ghosts, sure, or it might be bunch of normal stuff. My official opinion is, once again, "I dont know" :p

dublin6th wrote:
    ...which there is no definate explaination for......

6th

Ohh the old "quote with no comment" trick. You're a wiley one...

Zillah wrote:
    I think it was the servant's stairs. The ones that you have to use to get back to the hall from the Octagonal room if the door at the bottom of "Harriot's Stairs" is locked.

Which growl are you talking about? You've been told it wasn't human, by whom, what where why how?

"Also, there is this one... Its quite odd actually. Even if it is paranormal, its still odd. Three times someone in the group made an odd throaty growl sort of sound that they didn't seem to notice, that I heard."

This one? Also, I do recall hearing that growl outside, last year. Also, because it was either myself or Finny that made it, in that place, and neither of us did, then that leaves the remaining explanation that it had to be something else...

Also, seeing as I'm an, as of yet not trained mid-high level psychic (there's about 4 different types, maybe more), I can send and recieve information from sources. I mean, you saw me predict where the glass was going, heck, you saw me "make" it go towards the middle, right? It was moving a relatively decent amount when it was just myself and Steven moving it. I found it funny that I knew people took their fingers off the glass, and not once did I open my eyes.

ok this i spotted as soon as i got it on my mac, it may no stand up to anything on here but its enough for me ... even though the mirror needs a good cleaning!
    hope i sized it ok.

6th

BTW: Andy, i thought there was more of a height difference between us?

• Advertisement

Kennett wrote:
    I mean, you saw me predict where the glass was going, heck, you saw me "make" it go towards the middle, right? It was moving a relatively decent amount when it was just myself and Steven moving it. I found it funny that I knew people took their fingers off the glass, and not once did I open my eyes.

I've already made it quite clear that I think the moving of the glass is directly caused by those with their fingers on it. So the fact that you might be able to "predict" where it is going, or even control it, does not stike me as unusual at all. In fact, one could argue that it supports my theory. Now, if you could do all that with a glass sitting on its own, untouched, then I'd be quite impressed.

EDIT: Dammit 6th, you have to stop posting 30 seconds before me. And I don't see a photo...

EDIT2: Ah, there it is. Could you upload a full resolution one? Its kinda hard to make it out at that resolution, its very small.

dublin6th wrote:
    ok this i spotted as soon as i got it on my mac, it may no stand up to anything on here but its enough for me ... even though the mirror needs a good cleaning!
    hope i sized it ok.

6th

I can just barely see the picture really :s
    BTW: Andy, i thought there was more of a height difference between us?

I think I was slightly behind you, though that said, I dunno your height. I'm 6 feet tall.

hopefully this is a bit better.
    I'm not saying it is definately anything but what do you guys on here think its looks like?

dublin6th wrote:
    hopefully this is a bit better.
    I'm not saying it is definately anything but what do you guys on here think its looks like?

It looks like a patch of darkness. It could be many things, but realistically there is no way to tell from an image of that resolution. This is why you should upgrade to an A40! Pff, A10... :p

I have no idea what it is, but it's interesting... Were we sitting down then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I think I can echo a lot of what Zillah is saying.

I really didn't come across anything to suggest that Charleville Castle was anymore haunted than any other building I've ever been in.

Sure I felt a little bit unsettled when walking on my own through the building by times... but this was a dark building and had some oddly painted rooms, all of which trigger perfectly reasonable feelings of unease in a person. I'd feel just as uncomfortable walking alone in the dark in any building as I would in Charleville Castle.

But I'm really not the most empathic of people... I can barely tell what a living person is feeling let alone a dead person.

I have about 2 hours of DV tape to go through. It actually came out a lot better than I thought. dublin6th was right when he said my JVC camera was a bit dark with it's LCD display, on the Sony camera it comes up much brighter, and I'm sure it will look even better again when I review the footage on a proper monitor, which I hope to have time to do at some stage tomorrow.

But overall it was a very interesting experience and it was a wonderful building and having the run of the place for an evening was simply an amazing oportunity.

I definitely look forward to taking part in future investigations. And if any of you who are based in Dublin want to come and talk about the evening on the boards.ie podcast then PM and let me know and we'll arange somthing.

Kennett wrote:
    I have no idea what it is, but it's interesting... Were we sitting down then?

No we we're standing in the divide between the morning room and the music room.

yeah Zillah i think i need an upgrade, if i'm gonna be doing more of this i need a step up to atleast an A40.

6th

I've been scanning through some of the footage that I shot on the night.

It looks great... but I haven't seen anything unusual in the background anywhere... same goes for my photos.

Anyway... I've uploaded the best example of the glasstipping for everyone to see.

http://www.monkeyfudge.com/glasstipping.mov

Enjoy!

Actually watching back on the monitor one thing that struck was the interesting bit of synchronicity when Mark asked for a sound or a sign and then we all heard the click of one of the tape recorders loudly stopping. Then Mark asked again and the another tape recorder made a a loud stopping sound. Steve, did you check on those tapes? Had they actually reached the end?

Monkeyfudge, I really appreciate the effort, but it would appear that the video has a completely foreign audio track running over it...

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote:
    Monkeyfudge, I really appreciate the effort, but it would appear that the video has a completely foreign audio track running over it...

haha... that's really strange... I have no idea how that got on there.. the audio was fine before I optomised it for the web. I'll try and fix it tomorrow.

Steve, did you check on those tapes? Had they actually reached the end?
    Tbh, I'd gotten so caught up in the glass moving that I forgot to check, they were about due to finish though and the gap between them seemed about right (I would have started the one at the top of the stairs, then walked through to the red room to that one before going down to the altar).

edit: I didn't get to listen to any of the tapes yet, I couldn't find a cable I needed. I've picked up a new one so I should get some done tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Belated appologies for not turing going, fortunatly I had both mine and my daughters birthdays that weekend so I couldn't make it, but I am definetly interested in going if any more come up.

It seems like a interesting night was had be all.

Indeed, it was an interesting night :)

Anyway, with regards to another investigation, I have no idea when that'll take place at the moment...

I'm gonna write up a report of what I remember sometime tomorrow.

Steve, had a chance to go through the EVP yet?

• Advertisement
Advertisement