Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name this Irish Legend

Options
  • 15-09-2005 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭

Who was the first irish man to save a goal, score a penalty and be carried off by his 3 brothers all in the one match?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭ADUB?

You :confused: :rolleyes:
    Who was the 1st irish man to carry his 3 brothers into the goal and score a penalty?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Christy Brown?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Chris P Duck

Come on give it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Jesus?

Jesus?
    No but good try. Dont think hes irish either

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Noel Dempsy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Well I'm sure that who ever it was had Jesus working through him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Well I'm sure that who ever it was had Jesus working through him.
    I would have said Christy Brown.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Nicky Rackard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Technically he couldn't have saved a goal...
    I mean if he saved it, it wasn't a goal right?

Technically he couldn't have scored a penalty...
    A penalty is a type of free kick awarded following an infringement of the rules. It is not in itself a goal.

This guy didn't really achieve much did he?
    Why did his brothers bother carrying him at all? They should have chased him off the pitch.

Jesus I'm having a great day today. :D

Great question though. I don't know the answer but I'm guessing GAA early 30's or possibly Roy of the Rovers.

• Advertisement

sinecurea wrote:
    I would have said Christy Brown.
    Yeah your right. It was Christy. What a legend

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Prove he was the first?
    Big families were "all the rage" back before Christys time.. so a 3 brother carry off aint special....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Who was the first irish man to save a goal, score a penalty and be carried off by his 3 brothers all in the one match?
    Recorded history with video footage. Doesn't sound like any way anybody there is a legend. :rolleyes:
    A bit of skill and luck playing a sport doesn't make anybody a legend.

Recorded history with video footage. Doesn't sound like any way anybody there is a legend. :rolleyes:
    You have to be joking. He had a left foot on him that only Johnny Giles and Liam Brady came close to matching

You have to be joking. He had a left foot on him that only Johnny Giles and Liam Brady came close to matching

A legend has an element of mythology. Something that may or may not be true but is believed to be fact. Robert Johnson is a blues legend for example.

http://www.allwords.com/query.php?SearchType=3&Keyword=legend

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

You couldn't be more wrong. here is a definition of wat a legend is so maybe you might understand it more.
    http://www.answers.com/topic/legend

Sounds like you ain't a sports person then, always last to be picked for soccer then were ya,lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Take note of the usage:

Today a legend can also be a person or achievement worthy of inspiring such a story—anyone or anything whose fame promises to be enduring, even if the renown is created more by the media than by oral tradition. Thus we speak of the legendary accomplishments of a major-league baseball star or the legendary voice of a famous opera singer. This usage is common journalistic hyperbole, and 55 percent of the Usage Panel accepts it.

deisedevil wrote:
    Take note of the usage:

Today a legend can also be a person or achievement worthy of inspiring such a story—anyone or anything whose fame promises to be enduring, even if the renown is created more by the etc...
    Note your website is american-english

Common use can change the use of a word but it still doesn't make it correct. It's a colloquialism that easily enters the more simple writting of sports reporting . The English language has no guardians unlike French but either way it is not correct English at present! AT best you can say sporting legend indicating it doesn't make the person a legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Jesus?
    No but good try. Dont think hes irish either

Well, like the old joke goes:
    He lived at home till He was 30 and was convinced His mother was a virgin. Sounds Irish to me...

Advertisement