Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Justification for closing thread ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

these happen all the time (check big bro forums for instance) people jut going around and around in circles. this one got closed before that could happen though which is a good thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

What's the point in coming onto a board dedicated solely to something you don't like...

That thread had become a bitch fest of people whinging about the show... I don't mind some criticism, but when it starts just becoming people moaning about how crap the show is then it just gets repetitive...

I had no problem with the thread when the original poster posted something to back up his claims. The thread was about it's originality and he/she backed it up with things it was like... Certain people decided that the show was craply acted and "a load of sahite in fairness." (actual quote) and just started moaning about the show...

It's also becoming the same as a lot of other threads on the forum with loads of people saying "just keep watching, it gets better" which there's no point in repeating... if you don't like it, don't watch it... and better yet stop coming in whinging about it...

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I have to agree that it seemed a bit petulant, but I've also seen a few of those threads on the Lost forum going round in circles like danniemcq said. The boys over there don't take too kindly to criticism of their favourite show, most answers tend to be "wait until episode x, then it gets really good", so there's little point in starting a new thread criticising it, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Fair enough point taken

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Best way to end a spammy thread tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

If you have no interest why are you posting about it in feedback?

Closing comment was justified and tbh, i'm suprised the thread lasted as long. All well and good to argue your point of view but saying "lost is shite" with no decent explaination is not good enough imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Yeah.. the people who don't like Lost are a strange and bloody minded bunch.. sort of like people who don't like ice cream...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

I am not sure about petulance (although the terminology used is rather crude), but it is not the first time I come across arbitrary decisions by a moderator in boards. In fairness, they do a great job most of the time, but I also agree that similar situations should be questioned.

zaph wrote:
    I have to agree that it seemed a bit petulant, but I've also seen a few of those threads on the Lost forum going round in circles like danniemcq said. The boys over there don't take too kindly to criticism of their favourite show, most answers tend to be "wait until episode x, then it gets really good", so there's little point in starting a new thread criticising it, IMO.
    Critisism isn't something I mind... it's the threads that become the exact same... Lost Fans vs. Lost Critics...

Someone says it's crap, someone tells them to keep watching, someone says it's crap, someone says to keep watching... this one was closed before it could become that repetitive and I'll continue to close threads that look like they're going to become a moan-fest about the show...

As I said the original point (no pun intended) was about the originality of the show... not the quality of the acting or writing... The original poster had a valid argument that it was unoriginal, but then again it's nigh on impossible to create something truely original for TV...

Any TV show is always going to have it's fans and it's critics... I don't see the point in saying it's crap (as certain critics do), but I also don't see the point in telling them to keep watching (as the fans do)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

is_that_so wrote:
    Just reading through the thread below. Now I have no particular interest in the topic but I wonder is the final comment closing it justified? A bit petulant to my mind.

How was it petulant?

steveland? is the moderator and that thread had clearly become a sniping session between those that liked it and those that don't....it's his job as mod to sort out threads like that.

Also his point is pretty valid regarding the whole "why come there if you hate it?"
    Fair enough, you dont have to specifically like it to post there but theres a difference between making valid, backed up criticisms and simply labeling something as "shíte" because its not you your personal taste.

To be honest mate, its pretty sad that you felt the need to start a thread on his closing comment when you say yourself, its a topic that you have no interest in. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

To be honest mate, its pretty sad that you felt the need to start a thread on his closing comment when you say yourself, its a topic that you have no interest in. :rolleyes:

It was merely a question which has been answered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

I'll continue to close threads that look like they're going to become a moan-fest about the show...

Fair enough, I have to agree the thread was going nowhere, but do me a favour and don't go into politics, stay particularly away from the Dail - the feel of the discussions is pretty much the same, but I'd rather have it open, for the time being at least... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

is_that_so wrote:
    It was merely a question which has been answered.

the closing comment was surely an answer in itself :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Ye good decision...that thread was just becoming a bitchfest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

mods perogative
    pm them and ask why

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Help Desk tickets will be closed, asking you to PM the mod. :)

Most mods have PMs turned on (I assume), that'd be preferable to posting a thread about there moderation...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

The lost fanboys dont seem to like logic and critic being thrown at 'their show'...

Now when I saw the first few episodes I posted here about the quality of the acting and flaws etc and I got shot down for even suggesting that the show wasn't great.

I have watched it since on RTE and its by no means a fantastic show. Its watchable at best and I can't really see the major fanboy fuss to be honest. It isn't a patch on other shows such as X-Files, Millenium etc...

It isn't that original and the OP in the closed thread had the right to try and explore this.... but no he was shot down...

Its only a show to be honest... get over it...

The lost fanboys dont seem to like logic and critic being thrown at 'their show'...

Now when I saw the first few episodes I posted here about the quality of the acting and flaws etc and I got shot down for even suggesting that the show wasn't great.

I have watched it since on RTE and its by no means a fantastic show. Its watchable at best and I can't really see the major fanboy fuss to be honest. It isn't a patch on other shows such as X-Files, Millenium etc...

It isn't that original and the OP in the closed thread had the right to try and explore this.... but no he was shot down...

Seriously man, how many times do I have to explain this... try reading my posts instead of scanning over them...

As I've said many times already the original post made sense, the OP backed up his criticism with concise examples of where he'd seen these themes before, and for a few posts the thread seemed to be going a well criticised and thought out way...

The reason for it being closed was because there were loads of people coming on saying how crap the acting was and how crap the writing was, and just as bad, people kept saying "just keep watching it"... the topic was about it's originality, not it's writing or acting...

I'm not going to let loads of threads keep going where someone says it's crap and someone says keep watching it...

I've no problem with people saying it's crap IF they back up their posts... I'm also not going to let people keep saying to keep watching it because that's just as annoying... if you don't like it, you don't have to watch it... it's that simple...
    Take your own advice and get over it...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement