Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Digital tests

Options
  • 19-09-2001 10:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭

Anyone using an iDTV or a suitably advanced ITV digital box (that can cope with 8-MHEG) to view the RTE digital tests from Three Rock?

Just curious.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭cableskeptic

AFAIK RTE are not using MHEG and never will as they have declared their intention to use DVB-MHP.

I was lucky enough to see the RTE demo signal on a Panasonic IDTV and the picture was incredible with only a set top stub antenna.

That was a few months ago and at that time there were no data applications running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

So what brand UK digital terrestrial boxes would work for the RTÉ tests? For instance, I heard the Nokia boxes would not work. Is that true?

It is possible to pick up a second hand box on eBay and legitimately bring it back to Ireland. If at some point in the future, the box was to prove obsolete in Ireland it could be brought back to the UK...

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Drakus

What is a Panasonic IDTV? Is it a decoder and if so what kind of technology does it have that allows one pick up a signal others can not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

basically what it is is a television with a digital decoder built into it. very good for the people who don't want a box sitting along side the television

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Drakus

Can such a T.V. be used to get Sky Digital and the like or do you have to get their(Sky) MiniDish.

• Advertisement

Sky minidish needed to receive sky programmes-unless you have cable
    I have only heard of IDTV with built in ITV digital decoders,but I think there may be one with an inbuilt sky decoder-not too common if there is.
    You will not need a minidish to receive some channels which are also on the sky digital platform if you have cable.
    Similarily none needed for digital terrestial,just your aerial.
    for further info on this-just browse through the topics over the last 60 days or so in this section
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

there is indeed a IDTV for Sky Digital. only problem is is that they(i think it was Thomson who made it) had to stop making them because they didn't comply with EU regulations or something like that

Whilst watching RTE ONE this lunchtime from mount Leinster-there was picture break up (like what you see on a bad skt dig) and still pictures-so this must mean that RTE are now sending their signal there digitally-does anyone know how long this has been the case or has it been the case since their recent upgrades down at Donnybrook-a few weeks back when they had no programmes untill 11am or so?
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Marconi

As far as I know the microwave links that RTE uses to connect to its main transmitters went digital a few years ago - around the time that TnaG (now TG4) was launched. Also, TV3 is connected to RTE via an underground fibre-optic link between Ballymount and Donnybrook - also digital, naturally. The microwave links also carry the national radio services in digital format. Maybe some technical bod at RTE has more info on this subject......?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Propellerhead

..and we're still only getting DTT off the ground.

Amazing, eh?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've been watching RTE solely via DTT for probably a year now, but the length of time between the first trials (which were 1998!!) and now is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭lgs 4

MYOB wrote: »
    I've been watching RTE solely via DTT for probably a year now, but the length of time between the first trials (which were 1998!!) and now is ridiculous.
    when its all done and dust it we can sit back and enjoy it still uhd comes that,s ultra high defintion in about ten years:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

lgs 4 wrote: »
    when its all done and dust it we can sit back and enjoy it still uhd comes that,s ultra high defintion in about ten years:rolleyes:

I think the next hurdle is the 2nd mux and transition to HD for RTE2 then RTE1 then RTE3 then TG4. We will be ready for UHD for RTE2, and by the TV3 may have moved to 16:9 wide screen.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Whilst watching RTE ONE this lunchtime from mount Leinster-there was picture break up (like what you see on a bad skt dig) and still pictures-so this must mean that RTE are now sending their signal there digitally-does anyone know how long this has been the case or has it been the case since their recent upgrades down at Donnybrook-a few weeks back when they had no programmes untill 11am or so?
    mm

Most sites updated to digital feed a few years ago, inc. Woodcock (with Fibre) which had been rebroadcast. Where possible using Fibre. I was told by an RTE NL engineer that Digital Microwave would be the minority of sites. The Analogue is fed with high bit rate MPEG2, much higher than used for Sky. I forget the exact figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

Well, now the service is officially testing, I'm sad to say reception here in Portaferry is non-existant. Having had perfect reception on 54 since last November I was hoping the recent erractic signals I was getting since mid September would be replaced by the whopping signal I first received for a few weeks on 61 way back in April 09. Alas no. Not a whisper on 54, not even a blip. Kippure must have been seriously nulled in my direction. Guess I'll just have to make do with the odd lift induced visit from Three Rock.
    I guess there must have been a lot of complaints about RTE displacing BBC1 NI etc.
    Was chatting to another person from Portaferry on the school run yesterday, they are much higher than me in the town and have lost everything on 54 too. Interestingly, he had been in touch with RTE NL a number of times over the last year, with reception reports but has had no reply to his latest e-mail.
    Maybe they'll read this and drop him a line !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭lgs 4

I think the next hurdle is the 2nd mux and transition to HD for RTE2 then RTE1 then RTE3 then TG4. We will be ready for UHD for RTE2, and by the TV3 may have moved to 16:9 wide screen.:D
    good one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

This is really confusing - resurrecting a zombie thread from 9 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

fat-tony wrote: »
    This is really confusing - resurrecting a zombie thread from 9 years ago.

Didn't realise it was from 2001, goes to show little has changed in that time.
    SRB wrote: »
    Well, now the service is officially testing, I'm sad to say reception here in Portaferry is non-existant. Having had perfect reception on 54 since last November I was hoping the recent erractic signals I was getting since mid September would be replaced by the whopping signal I first received for a few weeks on 61 way back in April 09. Alas no. Not a whisper on 54, not even a blip. Kippure must have been seriously nulled in my direction. Guess I'll just have to make do with the odd lift induced visit from Three Rock.
    I guess there must have been a lot of complaints about RTE displacing BBC1 NI etc.
    Was chatting to another person from Portaferry on the school run yesterday, they are much higher than me in the town and have lost everything on 54 too. Interestingly, he had been in touch with RTE NL a number of times over the last year, with reception reports but has had no reply to his latest e-mail.
    Maybe they'll read this and drop him a line !!!

I'd guess it'll be at ASO in 2012 before restrictions both sides of the border are lifted and ERP increased. There is that MoU commitment to make the Irish channels available in NI, by then of course Saorsat should be available.

Advertisement